FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   MilesBuzz (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/milesbuzz-370/)
-   -   MilesBuzz: Canada (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/milesbuzz/1466579-milesbuzz-canada.html)

pokee May 10, 2020 1:31 pm

Anyone think that there may be difficulty/delays transferring our Amex or RBC Avion points to BA Avios, Westjet Rewards or Aeroplan (or any other CC points to airline miles) in the near future? Or maybe they'll end their partnerships and we'll lose transfer ability altogether? I was holding off on a Avion to Avios transfer to wait for a transfer bonus, but now I am thinking that'll never happen. And then I wonder - do I want to transfer points to an airline that may go bankrupt, and then my points will be worthless?!

I am not quite sure who pays for these partnerships, how lucrative they are for the credit cards vs. the airlines, and if it's a "luxury" that the airlines won't be able to afford post-Covid-19.

Anyone have thoughts on this?

Pseudo Nim May 10, 2020 5:07 pm

Originally Posted by pokee (Post 32364256)
Anyone think that there may be difficulty/delays transferring our Amex or RBC Avion points to BA Avios, Westjet Rewards or Aeroplan (or any other CC points to airline miles) in the near future? Or maybe they'll end their partnerships and we'll lose transfer ability altogether? I was holding off on a Avion to Avios transfer to wait for a transfer bonus, but now I am thinking that'll never happen. And then I wonder - do I want to transfer points to an airline that may go bankrupt, and then my points will be worthless?!

I am not quite sure who pays for these partnerships, how lucrative they are for the credit cards vs. the airlines, and if it's a "luxury" that the airlines won't be able to afford post-Covid-19.

Anyone have thoughts on this?

Points programs are the most valuable parts of an airline, and frequently worth more than the airline itself (think about it - they’re selling you a PROMISE to travel, and then all they do is devalue a chart / close award availability and you accept that as a fait accompli) - so I don’t think we’re losing our miles anytime soon.

I’m holding on for a transfer bonus. I suspect airlines will need money so they’ll run some soon so people invest more into miles. Though I fully expect them to then devalue so that their liability is decreased (like Aeroplan most likely will, soon, after that mega sale they just ran).

msp3 Jul 5, 2020 4:55 am

Originally Posted by jerryhung (Post 32327283)
I am surprised there isn't a thread for AMEX Canada closing cards (for churner's or more?) thread yet

see my RFD thread (I got closed and lost 66K MR)
https://forums.redflagdeals.com/view...=189&t=2370391

Wow I haven't read this thread for years and surprised to see this. Does that mean you can no longer get welcome bonuses every other year on the same products now, or rather it's at your own risk and Amex is now very shutdown-happy?

LearningToFly Aug 16, 2020 10:39 am

Is this once so useful thread dead?

jerry305 Aug 16, 2020 5:47 pm

Lol. The miles-earning opportunities have been... different... this year.
Here's some current favourites of mine:

HSBC World Elite® Mastercard
offer ends tomorrow, August 17, 2020
Earn up to $300 in travel value, plus first year free, with Minimum Spend Requirement of $5,000. Different offer for Quebec residents.
Must have $80,000 income or $150,000 household income, or $400,000 in Cdn assets.
HSBC has a reputation for being, uh, discerning with who gets their card.
https://www.hsbc.ca/credit-cards/products/world-elite

BMO performance chequing account
$300 signup bonus; no fees if you keep $4,000 invested. You can still keep much of the signup bonus if you don't keep $4,000 invested.
https://www.bmo.com/main/personal/ba...s/performance/

BMO AIR MILES World Elite Mastercard
https://www.bmo.com/main/personal/credit-cards/bmo-air-miles-world-elite-mastercard
3,000 Air Miles ($315 value) with $5,000 spend

Air Miles Mega Miles
Promotion lasts August 13 to September 10, 2020.
http://airmilesmegamiles.ca
Relatively easy way to earn 1,000 Air Miles ($105 value) by shopping at 5 retailers
Plan to buy gas (once) at Shell, one liquor purchase, and 1 or 2 grocery trips from select retailers in your province.

What favourite promos have you seen?

mahasamatman Aug 16, 2020 8:37 pm

I expect we'll see more activity once AC officially announces the new Aeroplan cards.

kluv2cruz Aug 17, 2020 8:22 am

Loving the AmEx $5 credit for using the card at small local businesses. The travel perk is the MR points I’m earning using my card more.

jerry305 Aug 18, 2020 9:01 am

Doesn't have to be travel related here.
In a year like this, we need more rewards options anyway.
Between my P2 and me, we have 10 Amex cards; we're on our way to getting $500 in Shop Small credits. :tu:

mahasamatman Aug 18, 2020 8:59 pm

Originally Posted by jerry305 (Post 32612433)
we're on our way to getting $500 in Shop Small credits.

I think the last time I was able to get the Shop Small bonus was three years ago. Of the last dozen or so places I've seen on the Amex map, none of them accept Amex, and never have. Amex does a great job sending business to their competitors.

pauq Aug 21, 2020 3:19 am

Originally Posted by mahasamatman (Post 32613838)
I think the last time I was able to get the Shop Small bonus was three years ago. Of the last dozen or so places I've seen on the Amex map, none of them accept Amex, and never have. Amex does a great job sending business to their competitors.

I find the Amex map very reliable. The only places where I had issues in the past are those that put a sticker saying "NO AMEX" on the machine and the clerk keep an eye on the card you use so there are no "mistakes"...

triptastic Aug 25, 2020 10:11 am

I applied for the amex Business Plat a couple months ago before they reduced the bonus. I made my spend months ago and called to see where the bonus is. The person said I was not eligible because I have had the card in the past. I have had it may times without issue of the bonus crediting. I was told it's been their policy for 4 years. Is this an example of HUCA? My husband applied a few weeks before me and got the bonus without issue. I need my 75000 points!

YYCCL3 Aug 25, 2020 10:18 am

Originally Posted by pauq (Post 32619361)
I find the Amex map very reliable. The only places where I had issues in the past are those that put a sticker saying "NO AMEX" on the machine and the clerk keep an eye on the card you use so there are no "mistakes"...

So, these would be the merchants that sign up for AMEX to get lower fees from VISA/MC, but don't want to accept it. Nice.

Pseudo Nim Aug 25, 2020 5:36 pm

Originally Posted by triptastic (Post 32628833)
I applied for the amex Business Plat a couple months ago before they reduced the bonus. I made my spend months ago and called to see where the bonus is. The person said I was not eligible because I have had the card in the past. I have had it may times without issue of the bonus crediting. I was told it's been their policy for 4 years. Is this an example of HUCA? My husband applied a few weeks before me and got the bonus without issue. I need my 75000 points!

Basically, I would say if it did not post automatically, then you're out of luck - especially if you have had it in the past, you probably don't have much of a leg to stand on. Even if you manage to find an agent that will say "yea sure fine", they can't manually just "give" you 75K, so they will escalate to the back office - and that'll fall apart once they do the requisite background research.

triptastic Aug 25, 2020 7:11 pm

Originally Posted by Pseudo Nim (Post 32629961)
Basically, I would say if it did not post automatically, then you're out of luck - especially if you have had it in the past, you probably don't have much of a leg to stand on. Even if you manage to find an agent that will say "yea sure fine", they can't manually just "give" you 75K, so they will escalate to the back office - and that'll fall apart once they do the requisite background research.

Thanks, thats what I was afraid of. At least I have got the fee back in statement credits.

Smiley90 Aug 30, 2020 5:31 pm

There isn't a no-annual fee card in Canada to keep your MR alive, right? Just the Gold?