FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   MilesBuzz (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/milesbuzz-370/)
-   -   MilesBuzz: Canada (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/milesbuzz/1466579-milesbuzz-canada.html)

jerry305 May 15, 2013 11:42 am

See post #1 for a list of credit card offers.

Originally Posted by sailingman22 (Post 20755325)
The Marriott Rewards credit card does have an annual fee of $120 which is waived for the first year.

Search the internet and there was an offer for 50,000 points for a Canadian branded Marriott credit card. This included a free night in a cat. 1-4 hotel. I found this offer last Nov. and applied.

Alas, that offer appears to be over in Canada. (Marriott does offer 50,000 point offers in the US.) If you find a current link, please post!

nabeelj May 15, 2013 12:20 pm

Originally Posted by jerry305 (Post 20741345)
BMO World Elite MasterCard Current promo: 20,000 points worth $380 travel credit Limited time bonus

This is definitely buzz-worthy, a $230 net signup bonus. However, conspicuously absent is the CapOne Aspire Travel World MC, which offers the same $230 net signup bonus, albeit not as a limited time offer.

jerry305 May 15, 2013 1:31 pm

Originally Posted by nabeelj (Post 20756195)
This is definitely buzz-worthy, a $230 net signup bonus. However, conspicuously absent is the CapOne Aspire Travel World MC, which offers the same $230 net signup bonus, albeit not as a limited time offer.

It was absent because no one suggested it until you did. Thank you.
I agree that credit card signups are buzzworthy; there are different interpretations as to whether credit card signups belong elsewhere.

nabeelj May 15, 2013 2:11 pm

Originally Posted by jerry305 (Post 20756577)
I agree that credit card signups are buzzworthy; there are different interpretations as to whether credit card signups belong elsewhere.

Agreed.... From my many years of churning in Canada & US, my definition of buzzworthy in the Canadian miles/points world is a $200+ worth net sign-up bonus from a CC.

In the US, buzzworthy is probably closer to $350+.

zussino May 15, 2013 2:34 pm

Originally Posted by jerry305 (Post 20756577)
It was absent because no one suggested it until you did. Thank you.

Do you have both of the AMEX cards?

From what I understand unless you have both cards you will not gain any referral points or miles.

jerry305 May 15, 2013 3:13 pm

Originally Posted by zussino (Post 20756919)
Do you have both of the AMEX cards?

From what I understand unless you have both cards you will not gain any referral points or miles.

Amex cardholders can refer the same family of reward card to others.
For example:
- you need a referral from an Amex Starwood cardholder to get a Starwood card
- you need a referral from an Amex Mileage Rewards cardholder to get a Mileage Rewards card
- you need a referral from an Amex Aeroplan cardholder to get an Amex Aeroplan card

zussino May 16, 2013 10:13 pm

Jerry,

Thanks for your information. My wife signed up for your SPG link.

Do they ever reduce the annual fee for a card? The first year at least?

jerry305 May 16, 2013 11:15 pm

American Express Canada occasionally offers a first year free for 10,000 points, but nothing close to 21,000 Starpoints. The general consensus on Starpoints is to value them around 2 cents, or $420. That might be a little high for many, but as long as you value Starpoints at more than about 1 cent, then this offer is IMO better than the free one.

erik19283 May 21, 2013 9:17 am

This was already on the second page of results/posts when I wrote this... Can't this post be made a sticky before it gets lost and forgotten underneath all the other posts?

I mean, we don't have that many dedicated to Canadians (Are there "any" that were made into stickies?), so if we had one I don't think it would take that much space.

jerry305 May 21, 2013 11:17 pm

Originally Posted by erik19283 (Post 20786894)
This was already on the second page of results/posts when I wrote this... Can't this post be made a sticky before it gets lost and forgotten underneath all the other posts?

I mean, we don't have that many dedicated to Canadians (Are there "any" that were made into stickies?), so if we had one I don't think it would take that much space.

That's a good idea. This topic could use the promotion.

FT seems to reserve a Sticky for protocols and FAQ's. Topics that are popular and important should be able to fend for themselves.

Maybe we need to build a little more content on this thread to demonstrate to the powers at FT that there's a real need for this thread. Let's try to add something of value to this thread at least every day. I'll keep looking. Thank you again for your help.

yerffej201 May 21, 2013 11:54 pm

Ooooo, I like this thread.
Jerry, do you think you could put the separate the credit card info in the wiki, and separate into two categories, one for regular good offers (like the Alaska BoA 25k) and one for promotions like the BMO 20k? It makes it much easier for everyone to edit

Here is one I have added into the wiki: You can earn 1,000 points with each supplementary amex gold reward card when you add it to your primary account. It is free for the first card, and free for second, third, fourth... up to the 9th supplementary card for the first year, and $50 per year after that.

I have also added a few Canadian points/travel/miles blogs, please add any that you read regularly!

Preacher7 May 22, 2013 4:49 am

Any sightings of the SPG Amex no-fee applications from last Fall? 15K Starpoints for $1K spend?

jerry305 May 22, 2013 8:51 am

Originally Posted by yerffej201 (Post 20791079)
Ooooo, I like this thread.
Jerry, do you think you could put the separate the credit card info in the wiki, and separate into two categories, one for regular good offers (like the Alaska BoA 25k) and one for promotions like the BMO 20k? It makes it much easier for everyone to edit

Here is one I have added into the wiki: You can earn 1,000 points with each supplementary amex gold reward card when you add it to your primary account. It is free for the first card, and free for second, third, fourth... up to the 9th supplementary card for the first year, and $50 per year after that.

I have also added a few Canadian points/travel/miles blogs, please add any that you read regularly!

Thanks! We need more content, and your post is excellent.

Apparently, the first rule of MilesBuzz! threads is that "Credit card questions and news of promotions belong on the Credit Card Programs forum." :(

But as we all know, most of the great promos in Canada are credit-card-related. And I think the people who are interested in MilesBuzz! are want the credit card promos.

I'm going to attempt to curate both the MilesBuzz! stuff and the credit card stuff, and build one great thread.

mia May 22, 2013 9:39 am

Moderator clarification

Originally Posted by jerry305 (Post 20792389)
... "Credit card questions and news of promotions belong on the Credit Card Programs forum."

It is certainly appropriate to include information about Canadian credit card offers in this type of thread.

I think yerffej201 is suggesting that the credit card information should be moved from post #1 into the wiki, and I agree.

The wiki feature is intended to be a collaborative tool. Anyone who can see the [Edit] button can edit the wiki, and anyone could copy the information from any post into the wiki.

lin821 May 22, 2013 10:01 am

Originally Posted by yerffej201 (Post 20791079)

May I suggest another way to introduce that line/kind of info in the wikipost?

Instead of giving detailed description and/or link in this post, you had provided all the terms, gif and offer in wikipost itself, which took a lot of wikipost space. As you can see, this newly added offer took up about half of the wikipost space right now. Why not just put a summarative line with a hyperlink to your original post, aka post#26? I don't think we need gif file in any wikipost, do we? If gif is in any other post in any given thread, I don't see a problem.

I think it will be easier for readers to follow when reading wikiposts that contains only highlight and important links/info. If every detail is spelled out in wikiposts, instead of the referenced posts/threads, as time goes by and threads grow, wikiposts may become so big to take over the 1st page of a thread. :eek: