Wiki Posts
Search

How should I use my miles/points?

Search this Thread

Old Apr 11, 2013, 1:04 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AA PLT, DL GM, Hyatt Diamond, SPG Gold
How should I use my miles/points?

I'm looking to take a trip August 2014 and want to start planning how best to use my miles/points and whether I should get more. I'm flexible on exactly where I go, but I'm thinking about some of these places:

• Russia (Moscow/Saint Petersburg)
  • China (Lijiang/Kunming)
  • Japan (Tokyo/Kyoto)
  • India (Delhi/Jaipur/Hyderabad)
  • Israel (Tel Aviv/Jerusalem)
  • Egypt (Cairo/Alexandria)
  • Eastern Europe (Prague/Budapest/Istanbul)
  • Italy (Rome/Florence/Venice/Cinque Terre)
  • Scandinavia (Oslo, Stockholm, Copenhagen)

I'd prefer to fly from NY or DC, but I'd consider other cities for better routings or better uses of miles. I don't mind Y and would rather fly to more places than fly in style. I also don't mind using low-cost carriers for relatively short trips (no more than 2.5 hours). At the time of the trip, no status except for Hyatt Diamond. With that in mind, my balances:

• DL 50K+
  • UA 60K+
  • US 60K+
  • AmEx MR 50K+

Any help or tips would be much appreciated!

Last edited by lawyertalk; Apr 12, 2013 at 7:29 pm
Old Apr 11, 2013, 1:16 pm

Programs: AA Exp, but not sure for how long. Enterprise Platinum woo-hoo!
I'm not an expert on routings, but I can offer some general advice.

1) You have plenty of time to churn some credit cards and get more miles.
2) AA and UA miles will be much more useful, because they can be used for one-way trips. US and DL only book round-trip (with open jaws and sometimes stopovers). Note that Chase Ultimate Rewards points transfer to United and Amex to Delta.
3) It is unlikely that the US/AA merger will affect you much, but nothing is certain. Your US miles will become AA miles at some point, but it's not clear when.
4) It's a good idea to start looking for availability 11 months ahead, but availability ebbs and flows. Nothing about it is predictable.
5) Familiarize yourself with the stopover and open jaw rules on all the carriers. Call each airline at least twice, because many of the CSR's are completely clueless. Also look at the individual airline forums for threads on award bookings.
6) Validity of search results ranges from really really good (United) to a real joke (Delta) to "You're freaking kidding me, right?" (US). Getting and learning how to use a tool like KVS or Expert Flyer will be well worth the time and money.
7) Amex points can be converted to Aeroplan (Air Canada) and then (via points.com) to US at 84% of value.

There are people MUCH better equipped to help you on routes, but my initial impression would be to perhaps try for an open jaw or stopover to Europe on US or DL, and to continue beyond that on UA/AA.
Old Apr 11, 2013, 1:27 pm
In Memoriam

Programs: aa plt 4.9MM LTAC
how many people?
Old Apr 11, 2013, 1:28 pm
Suspended

Programs: AA, Hilton Gold
You have far too long a list of places you want to go to get any kind of help with routings or planning. Narrow it down to maybe two or three. Right now it would take days to figure out the best use if that was all you did.
Old Apr 11, 2013, 3:18 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Lifetime Gold
Wirelessly posted (BlackBerry: BlackBerry8530/5.0.0.1030 Profile/MIDP-2.1 Configuration/CLDC-1.1 VendorID/417)

In addition to offering one-way awards, AA also offers the distance-based Explorer award, that allows up to 16 flown segments on a single award. Redemption cost in miles varies depending on class of service and total flown miles. The Explorer award can provide exceptional value -- especially in Business Class -- if one wants to visit multiple cities.
Old Apr 12, 2013, 7:21 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AA PLT, DL GM, Hyatt Diamond, SPG Gold
Originally Posted by clacko
how many people?
One.
Old Apr 12, 2013, 9:53 pm
Moderator: Travel Buzz

If you travel in the off peak seasons, you already have enough points for at least 3 international trips. Using your MR points for BA, you can convert those 50K points to many domestic flights at 4500K o/w, so 5 trips at under your 2 1/2 hour mark on AA.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.