Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > MilesBuzz
Reload this Page >

Trip Advice: LAX to PVR (Puerto Vallarta)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Mar 29, 2013, 6:03 pm
Original Poster

I have an upcoming trip to PVR in mid august. What's the best redemption? I have points in UR / AS / SPG / HA / US / DL / UA

I have an Alaska Air discounted companion code from my AS cc that expires soon and i have no upcoming trips planned other than this, so i might use that.

Otherwise from what I've gathered it looks like using Avios on AS metal might be my best bet. 20k rt + fees + taxes + phone booking.

Last edited by robJee; Mar 29, 2013 at 7:08 pm Reason: updated AS award redemption
Old Mar 29, 2013, 6:27 pm

Programs: Who cares... status is a Red Herring.
I was thinking about this the other day and am wondering if I could transfer to ANA and get the round trip for 20,000 miles. For you, if you route LAX - SFO - PVR and back it's under 4,000 miles and therefore less than 20,000 ANA miles right?

Also, how do you figure it would be 15,000 Avios?

Last edited by travelisfree; Mar 29, 2013 at 6:55 pm
Old Mar 29, 2013, 6:49 pm
Original Poster

shoot your right, i was basing it out of SAN, but LAX adds the extra miles for a 20k redemption.

I'm not familiar with ANAs program, I forgot they're distance based as well. I'll have to look into that option.
Old Mar 29, 2013, 6:57 pm

Programs: Who cares... status is a Red Herring.
Oh, I forgot Alaska flew that route though. Very nice redemption and easier than ANA. Is a great choice. Either way, I don't think you'll find anything better than 20,000.
Old Mar 30, 2013, 7:25 am

Programs: Hyatt, Hilton, Marriott // WN, AA, BA, UA, AS // Avis
I've redeemened LAX-PVR on Alaska, I think it was 17,500 or 20k not sure

They generally have very good availability
Old Mar 30, 2013, 9:56 pm

Programs: Delta Silver, Marriott Gold, HH Diamond, Ex-UA Gold, Ex-AA Gold , Ex-SPG Gold, Peon everywhere else
From SAN it is 15K avios RT, from LAX it is 20K avios. Distance is something like 1215 miles LAX-PVR. If LAX was 75 miles closer to PVR then it would also be 15K avios.
Old Mar 31, 2013, 9:49 am

Personally, I think using your Alaska companion pass rather making an award redemption makes the most sense in this case, assuming you are planning on getting tickets for two people. I see plenty of $438 flights on Alaska. That works out to something like $274 per person ($438 plus the $110 companion fare), which sounds like a good deal to me, whereas ~20,000 miles seems like a lot for a relatively short flight.
Old Apr 1, 2013, 3:52 pm

Originally Posted by samara
Personally, I think using your Alaska companion pass rather making an award redemption makes the most sense in this case, assuming you are planning on getting tickets for two people. I see plenty of $438 flights on Alaska. That works out to something like $274 per person ($438 plus the $110 companion fare), which sounds like a good deal to me, whereas ~20,000 miles seems like a lot for a relatively short flight.
$538/20,000 = 2.69cpm. That's pretty good for Avios.

Who cares if it is a short flight? You're not giving up much mileage earning by using miles so short expensive flights are perfect for using miles.
Old Apr 1, 2013, 4:00 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AA Gold 1MM, AS MVP, UA Silver, WN A-List, Marriott LT Titanium, HH Diamond
When I've booked an Avios award via phone that they couldn't book on their website, I wasn't charged any bogus fees. And I don't think short-haul AS awards trigger any other junk fees...it'd just be the taxes you'd pay on any flight. I know short-haul AA doesn't trigger junk fees when using Avios.

I'm surprised that LAX-PVR outside of prime winter/spring dates has such a high airfare. I would have thought this would be one where you'd find $99 each way and just buy it.
Old Apr 1, 2013, 4:00 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA 1K, AA EXP; Owner, Green Bay Packers
Wow, hot down there in August.

AK is always very pleasant on that route.
Old Apr 1, 2013, 6:04 pm

Programs: Delta Silver, Marriott Gold, HH Diamond, Ex-UA Gold, Ex-AA Gold , Ex-SPG Gold, Peon everywhere else
Originally Posted by PresskittJon
$538/20,000 = 2.69cpm. That's pretty good for Avios.

Who cares if it is a short flight? You're not giving up much mileage earning by using miles so short expensive flights are perfect for using miles.
Agreed. Last time I used Avios, I did 2 RT to Mazatlan for 15K each. The fare was going for about $610 each. I paid around $230 in taxes/fees but saved roughly $990.
Old Apr 1, 2013, 6:19 pm

Originally Posted by pinniped
When I've booked an Avios award via phone that they couldn't book on their website, I wasn't charged any bogus fees. And I don't think short-haul AS awards trigger any other junk fees...it'd just be the taxes you'd pay on any flight. I know short-haul AA doesn't trigger junk fees when using Avios.

I'm surprised that LAX-PVR outside of prime winter/spring dates has such a high airfare. I would have thought this would be one where you'd find $99 each way and just buy it.
Actually there is a $25 booking fee. They just don't tell there is a booking fee because they lump it together with the taxes. So all you hear from the BA agent is that your taxes and fees will be so much. Unless you ask for a breakdown of the taxes and fees you assume it is all taxes. I learned this the hard way the first time I did a booking and ever since then I have always asked for breakdown of the "fees" and I always ask for the booking fee to be waived. I have been successful only once at getting the fee waive. Always do a dummy booking on the AA website if you want to get an idea what the taxes will be. Add $25 to that amount and that is what BA will most likely charge you.

Last edited by eknock007; Apr 1, 2013 at 6:30 pm
Old Apr 1, 2013, 7:09 pm
In Memoriam

Programs: Hertz 5 star, Priceline Hotel bidder. AA PLT, 1MM.
August in PVR is hot and humid!! I last went there in the early 1990's. Go in late Nov/early Dec when the weather is much cooler.

I personally will not go there due to all the violence in Mexico. If you do go, stay in the nicer areas. Also be aware of the heavy (pushy!) timeshare pitches!! On the other hand, if one is very strong in saying NO, you could pick up some free gifts for going to presentations.

I haven't been to PVR since the early 1990's so my info is 2nd hand, at best. Do some research.

As for airline redemption, I would study all options and go from there.
Old Apr 1, 2013, 7:46 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA 1K, AA EXP; Owner, Green Bay Packers
Cool

Originally Posted by chemist661
August in PVR is hot and humid!! I last went there in the early 1990's. Go in late Nov/early Dec when the weather is much cooler.

I personally will not go there due to all the violence in Mexico. If you do go, stay in the nicer areas. Also be aware of the heavy (pushy!) timeshare pitches!! On the other hand, if one is very strong in saying NO, you could pick up some free gifts for going to presentations.

I haven't been to PVR since the early 1990's so my info is 2nd hand, at best. Do some research.

As for airline redemption, I would study all options and go from there.

It is very hot and humid in Aug/Sept/Oct. The best weather is Jan/Feb.

The time share leeches are much less apparent these days, and easily avoided.

Security is a quite minor concern in PV.
Old Apr 1, 2013, 10:08 pm

Programs: US Gold & AA Lifetime Gold
Originally Posted by chemist661
I personally will not go there due to all the violence in Mexico.
That's like canceling your trip to a
Vail because there was a murder in Chicago. Crazy. The crime rates in Southern California are a 1000 times higher than in Puerto Vallarta. Puerto Vallarta is one of the safest places on earth. Study the stats.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.