Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Mileage check up

Search this Thread

Old Feb 28, 2013, 1:43 pm
Original Poster

Mileage check up

I am a novice following you pros on this board with great admiration for how clever everyone is in accumulating miles. When possible, I follow suggestions for earning and as a result, I now have quite an accumulation of miles and points. I was thinking today, it would be great if there was a consulting service where you could get a sort of annual points/mileage checkup to get suggestions on consolidation of points, new point earning possibilities, best usage of certain programs based on your personal profile. I think it would be worth paying a fee to have the advice. I am happy to do the leg work of finding awards but being able to consult with someone who really knows their stuff on an annual basis would be great. I now look at my points as a real asset that needs to be managed to maximize the return. So my question is - Is there such a service out there? I know there are folks who will book a specific trip but this would be a more general periodic look at the big picture.

Last edited by profpeabody; Feb 28, 2013 at 1:45 pm Reason: spelling correction
Old Feb 28, 2013, 2:23 pm

Originally Posted by profpeabody
I am a novice following you pros on this board with great admiration for how clever everyone is in accumulating miles. When possible, I follow suggestions for earning and as a result, I now have quite an accumulation of miles and points. I was thinking today, it would be great if there was a consulting service where you could get a sort of annual points/mileage checkup to get suggestions on consolidation of points, new point earning possibilities, best usage of certain programs based on your personal profile. I think it would be worth paying a fee to have the advice. I am happy to do the leg work of finding awards but being able to consult with someone who really knows their stuff on an annual basis would be great. I now look at my points as a real asset that needs to be managed to maximize the return. So my question is - Is there such a service out there? I know there are folks who will book a specific trip but this would be a more general periodic look at the big picture.
Interesting concept, and my guess is that somebody does/will provide the service. A few caveats, however:
1) As with financials, you are the best person to manage. Sure, a professional can tweak, but it's best if you understand asset allocation etc.
2) Points/mileage assets can change dramatically and even an "expert" can't truly anticipate that beyond "earn and burn." So, prior to this year I would advise folks in DC that Delta miles were great for AF J flights - oops, now not so much. Still possible, but not so easy.

So, depending on how much you pay, the % against the "assets" might be higher than you would like. But, if you don't want to spend the time researching, it may be worth it to you.
Old Feb 28, 2013, 5:34 pm

Programs: UA 1K HH Diamond, SPG Platinum
Mileage check up

People may be reluctant to pay a fee to manage something they accumulate for "free", especially when MOST accumulators who recognize the value of points already have a decent grasp of the business. The people who don't realize the value could be difficult to sell to and identify. There are people who will book trips for you by optimizing your available points, but that is a per transaction fee rather than a management service.
Old Mar 1, 2013, 1:17 am

Originally Posted by 8rulos
There are people who will book trips for you by optimizing your available points, but that is a per transaction fee rather than a management service.
Would you mind posting one here (or PMing me if it's not allowed to post one)? I just googled and couldn't find anything. Very interesting.
Old Mar 1, 2013, 2:01 am

Programs: AA, BA
I don't know if its' allowed or not. But I would just avoid posting it, and here's a hint: Google for 'Award Booking Service' and the first link from million miles blog would have everything about that.

HTH

P.S. I'm in no way affiliated with any of the said services or the MMS blog.

Originally Posted by Simpleton
Would you mind posting one here (or PMing me if it's not allowed to post one)? I just googled and couldn't find anything. Very interesting.
Old Mar 1, 2013, 11:36 am

Here's a good thread to read: http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/trave...ices-list.html
Old Mar 4, 2013, 7:28 am
Original Poster

"People may be reluctant to pay a fee to manage something they accumulate for "free", especially when MOST accumulators who recognize the value of points already have a decent grasp of the business."

But in fact, it is an assett - just like a savings or investment account. I recognize the value of points but I also recognize I am a piker compared to most of the folks on these boards. I value good advice and would be willing to pay for it. As for potential reluctance to pay for advice on something one receives for free - that would be like cutting off your nose to spite your face. For example, if one inherited a fortune, it would be crazy to say that it is a free windfall and therefore one shouldn't pay for advice on how to handle it. Bottom line, I hear you on folks who are saavy - they don't need the advice but I have to believe there are more than a few folks who lurk here like myself who could benefit from help.
Old Mar 4, 2013, 8:27 am

Originally Posted by profpeabody
"People may be reluctant to pay a fee to manage something they accumulate for "free", especially when MOST accumulators who recognize the value of points already have a decent grasp of the business."

But in fact, it is an assett - just like a savings or investment account. I recognize the value of points but I also recognize I am a piker compared to most of the folks on these boards. I value good advice and would be willing to pay for it. As for potential reluctance to pay for advice on something one receives for free - that would be like cutting off your nose to spite your face. For example, if one inherited a fortune, it would be crazy to say that it is a free windfall and therefore one shouldn't pay for advice on how to handle it. Bottom line, I hear you on folks who are saavy - they don't need the advice but I have to believe there are more than a few folks who lurk here like myself who could benefit from help.
I feel the same way, I would absolutely pay. My time is more valuable than my money, and after reading threads about mistakes people have made with their miles - it's too costly for me personally. I respect others who are pros by now, but I don't have any issue with paying to help me save time.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.