Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > MilesBuzz
Reload this Page >

Have you ever redeemed for 4 tickets on same flight?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Jan 27, 2013, 8:55 pm

Programs: HHonors Diamond, Hyatt Diamond
I got 4 tix lax-cdg-fco-cdg-lax in j on air France using delta miles at the saver rate all on same flight
Old Jan 28, 2013, 12:23 am

Programs: Too Many to Count
Definitely possible. I did a SFO - LAX - NRT on AA for 4 in Business Saver a few years ago.
Old Jan 28, 2013, 4:51 am

I got 5 tickets ORD-CDG on Air Canada Executive Class (which is like business-first; 2 class aircraft) for 100k UA miles/ea RT, booked about 9 months in advance.

Herringbone layout sucked in some ways, but was overall a decent ride considering we all got to go together!
Old Jan 28, 2013, 4:52 am

Programs: DL-Polished Aluminum, Air Mobility Command-Chartreuse
Yes, but it's varsity-level gaming

Summer 3013 will be DL and AF business for 4, MSP-IST and back
Summer 2012 was LH F to Berlin
Summer 2011 was LH F to Norway

All of these were at the lowest price level.

Plus a bunch of domestic, some at saver, some at medium.

The biggest hurdle is crossing the pond, second hurdle domestic saver, intra-Europe is (almost always a short putt).

If you're a risk-taker, you could consider breaking into two groups, flying 'same way, same day', where you might be together on some flights and not on others to begin, then change flights as allowed to align (some programs are lenient- United- and some will get lenient after a major schedule change).
Old Jan 28, 2013, 8:02 am

Programs: Too many to list
Originally Posted by msp2anywhere
Summer 3013 will be DL and AF business for 4, MSP-IST and back
Planning on living that long?
Old Jan 28, 2013, 8:16 am

I can beat you all! Using AA miles on AirBerlin I got our family of 6 plus grandma and grandpa (a total of 8) from MSP to Berlin (via ORD) and back, all in economy. What is amazing is that AA still shows award availability on those flights. June -July of 2013 booked last October. Yay!
Old Jan 28, 2013, 8:37 am

Programs: Marriott Bonvoy Platinum, Hilton Honors Diamond, Delta Gold
Originally Posted by kimmyannangel
I can beat you all! Using AA miles on AirBerlin I got our family of 6 plus grandma and grandpa (a total of 8) from MSP to Berlin (via ORD) and back, all in economy. What is amazing is that AA still shows award availability on those flights. June -July of 2013 booked last October. Yay!
Of course, because economy awards are more available than Biz or F awards. It would be hard to come by 8 Saver Awards in Business (perhaps totally impossible on some flights because that many Saver seats aren't ever released for those flights, not even close in). I just booked for 2 in economy (no Biz or First class on that flight at all) on a very short AA flight using 9k Avios roundtrip and there are about 5 flights available per day and each flight has 7 out of about 20 seats available as Saver Award seats. So, I'm assuming that for flights with many more economy seats available (usually ~200 when going transatlantic) there will be more Saver awards available to begin with.

The trick here is getting to go in upper class seats as a group of 4 or more on the same flights - certainly doable as per many posters above (and also in my own experience) but needs work.
Old Jan 28, 2013, 9:42 am

How old are the travelers and where to do you want to go? It's nice to go in the front of the bus, but for a short flight to Europe from PHL or New York you could easily do coach and not sweat it. Especially if being on the same flight is that important. We've done coach for points and then upgraded to Economy Plus for cash and it was totally fine. I'm not saying it was nice like Biz/1st, but it was satisfactory. Doesn't seem like you're that flush with points anyway....
Old Jan 28, 2013, 10:49 am

Programs: AA EXP 2MM HHonors Diamond
Using AA miles in 2011, 5 in business on AY JFK-HEL, 5 in business on BA HEL-LHR, and 5 in business on AA LHR-JFK. What a great trip it was!
Old Jan 28, 2013, 11:55 am

I've redeemed miles for 4 business award tickets on Swiss (jfk-gva)
Old Jan 28, 2013, 12:02 pm

Programs: AA 1MM, BA, UA, HH Dia, CC Gold, SPG Plat
Originally Posted by kimmyannangel
I think I'll be seeing you at BCN in June!!!

We have 5 sAAver in F to LHR next summer - calling &/or checking KVS every day from t-330. Only 4 in J so far coming home on AB from TXL (but more seats are filled so I may have missed the window).

OP, it depends on the airline. On oneworld, I've noticed IB only releases 4 seats. AB 4 so far. AA up to 6. But, UA seemingly has the best availability overall. Then, all the other partners to consider. Others with more experience on *A can hopefully chime in there. That's who we're considering switching to for 2014.
Old Jan 28, 2013, 12:09 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AA Gold 1MM, AS MVP, UA Silver, WN A-List, Marriott LT Titanium, HH Diamond
For summer 2013, our family is going to France, Italy, and Slovenia. We had no problem getting the long-hauls in groups of 4's and 5's on different EI flights to/from Dublin. (Bought other segments to/from the continent...they were too cheap to bother spending miles on.)

Coach awards...didn't check biz...but from the east coast that's doable. We're paying 40,000 Avios R/T per seat from Chicago; I believe you'd pay 25k R/T from JFK or BOS. Total taxes and fees were $120 R/T.

One group of 4 booked just last week for August travel, so some seats are still there for 2013. EI award availability seems to appear in vast quantities, then disappear completely, then sometimes show up again. It's rather mysterious to a non-regular of that airline.
Old Jan 28, 2013, 1:08 pm

Programs: Tegridy Elite
Originally Posted by farbster:20139003
How old are the travelers and where to do you want to go? It's nice to go in the front of the bus, but for a short flight to Europe from PHL or New York you could easily do coach and not sweat it. Especially if being on the same flight is that important. We've done coach for points and then upgraded to Economy Plus for cash and it was totally fine. I'm not saying it was nice like Biz/1st, but it was satisfactory. Doesn't seem like you're that flush with points anyway....
I think J or F is a waste for east coast to Europe. Especially if you have a group. It's not much longer than a transcon, and barely time to sleep anyway on the way over.
Old Jan 28, 2013, 1:24 pm

We did 4 tickets EWR to ITO and then OGG to EWR in August 2011, but coach. I'm looking to do Europe w/ the kids soon too!
Old Jan 28, 2013, 1:27 pm

Programs: AA 1MM GLD, Hertz #1 Gold, bunch of other programs w/no status
I flew my family of 4 to Europe in the summer four times: 2005, 2007, 2009, 2012, all at the low level award. We were always on the same flights. All segments were in J, with one exception of LHR-SFO in F. Used AA miles for everything except one 1-way SFO-FRA-HAJ on LH.

Been lucky so far. I hope I can do it again.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.