FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   MilesBuzz (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/milesbuzz-370/)
-   -   Can miles from frequent flyer programs from the same alliance be combined? (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/milesbuzz/1388487-can-miles-frequent-flyer-programs-same-alliance-combined.html)

Happy Sep 21, 2012 11:55 am

Originally Posted by lwildernorva (Post 19357331)
Waste of effort. The programs set the rules and can change them at almost anytime, inherently building a certain level of unfairness into the game. Accepting THAT fact and then learning to deal with the changes when they come, including identifying new opportunities when old ones are taken away (and there generally are some), should be at the very heart of what people who chase miles and points do.

Good points!

Seriously, with the mind-set of the OP, and his inability to really see thru layers of things, all others posts trying to offer suggestions and ideas are futile effort because as your above statement - all loyalty programs have a built in unfairness (to the customers) in them - how in the world the person who "can smell" dishonesty miles away could live with that? And for that matter, since when life is fair?

lwildernorva Sep 21, 2012 1:28 pm

I'm not saying I don't do some gnashing of teeth at times. But, I've learned the quicker I get from moaning about lost opportunities to thinking about new ones, the better off I am. And not just in the miles and points game. . .

joer1212 Sep 22, 2012 11:26 am

Originally Posted by Happy (Post 19358918)
Good points!

Seriously, with the mind-set of the OP, and his inability to really see thru layers of things, all others posts trying to offer suggestions and ideas are futile effort because as your above statement - all loyalty programs have a built in unfairness (to the customers) in them - how in the world the person who "can smell" dishonesty miles away could live with that? And for that matter, since when life is fair? (living in parents' house if not paying back something to the parents seem utterly unfair to the parents who have already paid good money to bring up a child, sent him to college, etc etc... I can see the unfairness miles away... just sayin.)

The "ability to really see thru layers of things" is exactly what I'm good at. That was my whole point in the first place.
I understand that loyalty programs--and, in fact, ALL programs that are not designed by the consumer--are going to be tilted in the company's favor. I'm not naive. However, when I see blatant unfairness and downright dirty play is when I get pissed off. An example of this would be a bait-and-switch tactic, such as suddenly increasing by 50% the miles required to book a trip without warning. Lower your eyebrow, I've seen stuff like this happen in other industries (including in the government).
Now, I really don't think the airlines will play that dirty, it's bad business, and it will eventually catch up to them-- it always does. All I'm saying is that I am new to this game, and I will judge it objectively, based on its merit, that's all.

mia Sep 22, 2012 4:59 pm

Moderator action

Write about miles and points, not about each other. It is never appropriate to comment on another member's character or personal circumstances, and it is never justified to respond. Please use the Alert icon in the lower left corner of each post to report inappropriate content.

Happy Sep 23, 2012 2:30 pm

Originally Posted by joer1212 (Post 19364396)
The "ability to really see thru layers of things" is exactly what I'm good at. That was my whole point in the first place.
I understand that loyalty programs--and, in fact, ALL programs that are not designed by the consumer--are going to be tilted in the company's favor. I'm not naive. However, when I see blatant unfairness and downright dirty play is when I get pissed off. An example of this would be a bait-and-switch tactic, such as suddenly increasing by 50% the miles required to book a trip without warning. Lower your eyebrow, I've seen stuff like this happen in other industries (including in the government).
Now, I really don't think the airlines will play that dirty, it's bad business, and it will eventually catch up to them-- it always does. All I'm saying is that I am new to this game, and I will judge it objectively, based on its merit, that's all.

You must have a better crystal ball than any of us - for no one could foretell how BA devaluated its miles to that degree last year (we knew the devaluation was coming but no details until it actually happened), or the Aeroplan's change of award chart in some cases the requirements were up 40%, or AA took away the international stopover without much of grace period to let you jam in redemptions before that, or UA has raised the chart to Australia from 90K to 120K to now 145K in less than 3 years. US just recently changed its award chart as well, DL, too.... The examples just go on and on and on....

You should stay away from Miles and Points gathering pursuits because each and every program has gone thru devaluation in recent years, some every year... by the time you finish choosing your programs with all your "see thru the layers" analysis and gather the enough miles for the initial charts you have based your efforts on, you would find yourself fall way short of your goal...

Despite so, we still all try our efforts to gather them... the "bad business" hasn't caught up with "them" nor stopped "us" in getting our free fights and hotel stays... Not sure which one is a more sound game plan. :D

joer1212 Sep 23, 2012 11:58 pm

Originally Posted by Happy (Post 19370248)
You must have a better crystal ball than any of us - for no one could foretell how BA devaluated its miles to that degree last year (we knew the devaluation was coming but no details until it actually happened), or the Aeroplan's change of award chart in some cases the requirements were up 40%, or AA took away the international stopover without much of grace period to let you jam in redemptions before that, or UA has raised the chart to Australia from 90K to 120K to now 145K in less than 3 years. US just recently changed its award chart as well, DL, too.... The examples just go on and on and on....

You should stay away from Miles and Points gathering pursuits because each and every program has gone thru devaluation in recent years, some every year... by the time you finish choosing your programs with all your "see thru the layers" analysis and gather the enough miles for the initial charts you have based your efforts on, you would find yourself fall way short of your goal...

Despite so, we still all try our efforts to gather them... the "bad business" hasn't caught up with "them" nor stopped "us" in getting our free fights and hotel stays... Not sure which one is a more sound game plan. :D

Well, since I am a lover of the truth, rather than ideology, I will get into this and judge it for myself, based on its actual merits (and value to me) rather than on preconceived notions of what it will be like. Who knows, it may be downright wonderful. But, I'll never know for sure until I dive in. If I feel, in any way, that the effort and time I put into this pursuit is not worth it, I will, by all means, drop it cold, with no regrets.

CMK10 Sep 26, 2012 2:39 pm

I just remembered I asked about this in 2002. Thanks for the memories! Wish it was possible though, I wouldn't mind moving orphan US miles to UA

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/conti...ing-co-nw.html