FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   MilesBuzz (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/milesbuzz-370/)
-   -   Can miles from frequent flyer programs from the same alliance be combined? (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/milesbuzz/1388487-can-miles-frequent-flyer-programs-same-alliance-combined.html)

TravelPDX7 Sep 18, 2012 6:50 pm

Originally Posted by amolkold (Post 19340280)
AA and UA offer one-way charts, so you used 2x20K for the outbound. On the return, you could have only used UA miles (2x30K) and saved your AA miles. This would have been 100K rt for 2 people, rather than 130K.

Even though you only had 50K UA miles, that's what we're trying to teach OP ... build up points in transferable programs like Chase UR so that you can top off accounts. This may have worked for you, but with advance planning, you could have made out better.

Again, to put into perspective, you spent 130K for two rts, when you could have spent 140K for one-way in coach, return in international business. Or you could have spent 100K for all coach.

No star alliance members fly to mendoza only LAN (1W) and Aerolineas AR (ST) so I would be unable to go one way via UA, as well as all of the UA flights are to Buenos Aires which sucks as you have to transfer EZE to AEP to to intra-country, anywhere from 30m-1h commute, and then you are still without a flight.

That relegates most to flying in through SCL and then over the Andes to MDZ, which BTW is just an awesome flight, 30-45min of up through the Andes just marveling at them and then you descent down. Pretty much a sightseeing trip without the guide talking.

With LAN and AR the only 2 providers to MDZ, that pretty much leaves 1w alliances, and AA in particular is awesome for S America trips, and there is only DL from ATL, AA from DFW-MIA-LAX-JFK and only Air Canada as the lone SA with a YYZ.

130K is enough AA miles that can travel 20K miles in International business class when using it to book an Explorer award.
2 tickets 65k a piece NOT 1 ticket for 130k, so for 65k that would mean a ticket with only 1500m RT business, so that means like PDX-SFO, after that your argument kinda falls apart.

Happy Sep 18, 2012 7:11 pm

Originally Posted by TravelPDX7 (Post 19340519)
2 tickets 65k a piece NOT 1 ticket for 130k, so for 65k that would mean a ticket with only 1500m RT business, so that means like PDX-SFO, after that your argument kinda falls apart.

May be I should heed my own advice - a waste of time to try to point out the obvious because that would pick others' feel-good bubble....

But, others who read this thread may be able to learn, so here we go...

You may not even know what AA Explorer award is. It does not work as a math problem by divided it by 2. And your math is even totally off - not sure how you come up with 1500m RT. Facepalmed indeed.

Give yourself some education by learning how Explorer award is structured - here are the links:

https://www.aa.com/i18n/AAdvantage/r...servations.jsp

https://www.aa.com/i18n/disclaimers/oneworld_awards.jsp

Distance Zone 3
Total Trip Miles = 4,001 - 9,000
Miles Required
Economy Class 60,000

Business Class 80,000
First Class 100,000

Distance Zone 4
Total Trip Miles = 9,001 - 10,000
Miles Required
Economy Class 70,000

Business Class 90,000
First Class 120,000

Distance Zone 5
Total Trip Miles = 10,001 - 14,000
Miles Required
Economy Class 90,000
Business Class 115,000
First Class 150,000

Distance Zone 6
Total Trip Miles = 14,001 - 20,000
Miles Required
Economy Class 100,000
Business Class 130,000
First Class 180,000

You can have a stopover at each point where you change plane. There is no directional restriction nor duration restriction. I actually know a person who has one such award to include 3 trips - 1 trip to Europe, 1 trip to Caribbeans and 1 trip to Hawaii - each trip brought him back to home at NYC, for a total of 130K all in business class and the travels spread in a year. Of course it would be cheaper if you are going to fly in coach. However, as even a math-challenged person can easily see, business class is the sweet spot of Explorer award. For not much more than economy requirement, one can fly business class INTERNATIONALLY, and have lounge access all the way...

BTW, AA forum has an excellent STICKY about AA awards, and it has the link to the thread specifically discussing Explorer award. You will then know what 65K miles can do for you - certainly is not your PDX to SFO r/t.

amolkold's trip report may be an eyeopener to you if you want to learn a thing or two and get a sense why he said he did not even know where to start (on how wasteful you had redeemed your miles for...)

What is done is done. However that does not mean you cannot learn and do better the next time...

You can continue to feel good about your redemption, nothing wrong with it. Or you can expand your world a little bit by trying to understand what others have posted, and learn how much better you can do than saving $500 and a transcon domestic F one-way...

Happy Sep 18, 2012 7:17 pm

Originally Posted by amolkold (Post 19340387)
Maybe it's just the coastal person in me, but I think actual transcon business class (like JFK-LAX, JFK-SFO, MIA-LAX on AA, etc etc) is worth it when you're down to using miles domestically. I've routed plenty of domestic awards via those routes mostly because the airlines give them a premium feel and make the mileage upcharge slightly more worth it. When it comes to regular ol' domestic first ... not worth it.

Only when you get the 3-class service, Internationally configured plane. The one OP felt good about, is none of that. Totally not worth it.

Originally Posted by amolkold;19340387
Or an RTW, like [URL="http://www.gcmap.com/mapui?P=ORD-HKG-BKK-DEL-AMM-IST-MAD-ORD"
ORD-HKG-BKK-DEL-AMM-IST-MAD-ORD[/URL], with stopovers everywhere.

Oh you mean this? #shamelessplug

Actually 120K in First from LA to North Asia ... via Europe. A stopover, too, if you want one. An extra 30K for Singapore Business within South Asia to India, well worth it for 17 hours roundtrip on Singapore Airlines. And a few thousand Avios to get from North Asia (HKG) and South Asia (BKK), though I went with Emirates A380, cause well, showers on a plane.

The kicker is that I saved 10K miles by routing the way I did, and got to visit 2 more cities.

If the Grand Slam were happening this year, I'd tell OP to get in on that, but sadly, not this year :(

That is one heck of a redemption and a very well-written trip report. Love your writing style, especially the humorous parts - no wonder it has over 50K hits! ^

TravelPDX7 Sep 18, 2012 7:45 pm

Originally Posted by Happy (Post 19340632)
You dont even know what AA Explorer award is. It does not work as a math issue to divide by 2. And your math is even totally off - not sure how you come up with 1500m RT. Facepalmed indeed.

Give yourself some education by learning how Explorer award is structured - here are the links:

https://www.aa.com/i18n/AAdvantage/r...servations.jsp

https://www.aa.com/i18n/disclaimers/oneworld_awards.jsp

Distance Zone 3
Total Trip Miles = 4,001 - 9,000
Miles Required
Economy Class 60,000

Business Class 80,000
First Class 100,000

Distance Zone 4
Total Trip Miles = 9,001 - 10,000
Miles Required
Economy Class 70,000

Business Class 90,000
First Class 120,000

Distance Zone 5
Total Trip Miles = 10,001 - 14,000
Miles Required
Economy Class 90,000
Business Class 115,000
First Class 150,000

Distance Zone 6
Total Trip Miles = 14,001 - 20,000
Miles Required
Economy Class 100,000
Business Class 130,000
First Class 180,000

You can have a stopover at each point where you change plane. There is no directional restriction nor duration restriction. I actually know a person who has one such award to include 3 trips - 1 trip to Europe, 1 trip to Caribbeans and 1 trip to Hawaii - each trip brought him back to home at NYC, for a total of 130K all in business class. Of course it would be cheaper if you are going to fly in coach. However, as even a math-challenged person can easily see, business class is the sweet spot of Explorer award. For not much more than economy requirement, one can fly business class INTERNATIONALLY, and have lounge access all the way...

BTW, AA forum has an excellent STICKY about AA awards, and it has the link to the thread specifically discussing Explorer award. You will then know what 65K miles can do for you - certainly is not your PDX to SFO r/t.

You can continue to feel good about your redemption, nothing wrong with it. Or you can expand your world a little bit by trying to understand what others have posted, and learn how much better you can do than saving $500 and a transcon domestic F one-way...

But I should heed my own advice - a waste of time to try to point out the obvious because that would pick others' feel-good bubble.

LOL OK

See now your playing with #s lets retort shall we:

You first responded to me with:

130K is enough AA miles that can travel 20K miles in International business class when using it to book an Explorer award.
I replied with

65k that would mean a ticket with only 1500m RT business, so that means like PDX-SFO

PDX (45°35'19"N 122°35'49"W) SFO (37°37'08"N 122°22'30"W) 178.7° (S) 550 mi

X2

1100m RT

Distance Zone 1
Total Trip Miles = 0 to 1,500 Miles Required
Economy Class 30,000
Business Class 60,000
First Class 80,000

http://boardingarea.com/blogs/aadvan...plorer-ticket/

So maybe you need to do some math. I know all about 1W explorer and it is you who is adjusting things to make yourself look better, either way have a good time.

joer1212 Sep 18, 2012 8:52 pm

Originally Posted by amolkold (Post 19339348)
Neither AA nor UA allows cash + points. Only programs like Avianca/TACA and British Airways (for some redemptions) allow this.

Wow, this really ruins it for me. The news just keeps getting worse and worse.
Now, I can't even purchase Business class with points/miles + money? It was bad enough to find out that I can't combine miles. I'm still reeling from that one. But this other piece of bad news just disgusts me to the point that I want to give up the whole thing. I don't even think I can earn an economy international flight now, let alone anything else.

Originally Posted by Stubtify (Post 19339466)
You'll want to use the best miles to get you where you want to go--not just randomly waste any and all miles you have at will.

Frankly, I'm pretty demoralized by now. I keep getting one piece of bad news after another.
First, it was that I can't combine ff miles, even among airlines in the same alliance. This seriously limits me.
Now, I'm finding out that I can't even add cash to miles if I am short of earning a flight.
I'm not sure I even want to go through the trouble of doing this. No wonder most people don't.

saacman5033 Sep 18, 2012 9:13 pm

Originally Posted by joer1212 (Post 19341113)
I don't even think I can earn an economy international flight now, let alone anything else.

Many credit card bonuses can do that for you with one card application.

joer1212 Sep 18, 2012 9:23 pm

Originally Posted by saacman5033 (Post 19341203)
Many credit card bonuses can do that for you with one card application.

Not if I have to meet a minimum spend of 3k in 3 months, which I cannot.
First, I was counting on combining miles and points from different cc bonuses to put into one ff program and earn my business or first class flight. But, I found out this is not possible.
Fine, so I figured that maybe I can pay for my trip using miles + money, but now that's not possible, either.
Also, Amazon Payments is not an option for me (long story).
At this point I'm seriously considering abandoning the whole thing.

saacman5033 Sep 18, 2012 9:44 pm

Originally Posted by joer1212 (Post 19341265)

Even the bonuses for the UA and US cards you were considering can be enough for economy international tickets depending on where you want to go and when.

Certainly nobody will force you into anything, but it's incredibly easy to get free travel via cc bonuses if you spend some time learning and planning.

lwildernorva Sep 18, 2012 9:53 pm

Originally Posted by joer1212 (Post 19341265)
First, I was counting on combining miles and points from different cc bonuses to put into one ff program and earn my business or first class flight. But, I found out this is not possible.
Fine, so I figured that maybe I can pay for my trip using miles + money, but now that's not possible, either.
Also, Amazon Payments is not an option for me (long story).
At this point I'm seriously considering abandoning the whole thing.

Wait a minute. You make 76K a year and can't spend $3K on a credit card in 3 months? Really? I understand you're frugal, but you don't spend $1K per month in food, gas, some utilities (gas/electric generally don't allow credit card payments; cable, phones, and other utilities do), insurance (my disability insurance does not allow a credit card payment, my auto insurance does, without a "convenience" fee), car repairs, the occasional night out, buying clothes, and doing all of the other things that occur in a normal life?

At this point, you're either not being realistic enough about expenses that could be put on a credit card--or you're blowing smoke about your income and your credit score.

And TravelPDX7, with less than 20 posts, it's possible, just possible, that you could learn something from the more experienced folks here. I certainly do, nearly every day. Again, if you think you got a good deal, cool, but this site is both about the best ways of earning miles and spending miles.

And, if you think that by any standards other than your own, you got the best use of your miles, you're wrong.

amolkold Sep 18, 2012 10:10 pm

Originally Posted by TravelPDX7 (Post 19340519)
No star alliance members fly to mendoza only LAN (1W) and Aerolineas AR (ST) so I would be unable to go one way via UA, as well as all of the UA flights are to Buenos Aires which sucks as you have to transfer EZE to AEP to to intra-country, anywhere from 30m-1h commute, and then you are still without a flight.

That relegates most to flying in through SCL and then over the Andes to MDZ, which BTW is just an awesome flight, 30-45min of up through the Andes just marveling at them and then you descent down. Pretty much a sightseeing trip without the guide talking.

The limiting factor was MDZ-SCL which could be taken care of with Avios, which can be easy to get with transferrable programs. Spend 9K to save 30K.

This is also what I'm trying to tell the OP, that transferrable miles cards can really really help out. There's a reason why Chase UR is loved around here.

joer1212 Sep 18, 2012 10:31 pm

Originally Posted by lwildernorva (Post 19341424)
Wait a minute. You make 76K a year and can't spend $3K on a credit card in 3 months? Really? I understand you're frugal, but you don't spend $1K per month in food, gas, some utilities (gas/electric generally don't allow credit card payments; cable, phones, and other utilities do), insurance (my disability insurance does not allow a credit card payment, my auto insurance does, without a "convenience" fee), car repairs, the occasional night out, buying clothes, and doing all of the other things that occur in a normal life?

At this point, you're either not being realistic enough about expenses that could be put on a credit card--or you're blowing smoke about your income and your credit score.

And TravelPDX7, with less than 20 posts, it's possible, just possible, that you could learn something from the more experienced folks here. I certainly do, nearly every day. Again, if you think you got a good deal, cool, but this site is both about the best ways of earning miles and spending miles.

And, if you think that by any standards other than your own, you got the best use of your miles, you're wrong.

My situation is that I live in an apartment of my father's house rent-free. I pay just for my electric bill.
I also pay for internet and a cell phone plan (which I don't charge to my cc because Boost Mobile charges me taxes for this, whereas, if I pay at my local check cashing place they do not).
I cancelled my cable years ago; I no longer own a car (I live in NY, where it is not necessary), and the weekly pocket money I allow myself is currently $150.
My annual travel budget is limited to $5,000.
I allow a few thousand dollars for other categories (e.g. "toiletries", "stationery", "gifts", "art supplies" etc).
In all, I spend about 18k a year. The rest goes into my investments.
My goal is to retire early and live off my investment returns.
I am single, with no kids, and I plan to stay this way.

amolkold Sep 18, 2012 10:37 pm

A car is not necessary in NY? Does that mean NYC? If so, $150/week?

TravelPDX7 Sep 18, 2012 10:49 pm

Originally Posted by amolkold (Post 19341479)
The limiting factor was MDZ-SCL which could be taken care of with Avios, which can be easy to get with transferrable programs. Spend 9K to save 30K.

This is also what I'm trying to tell the OP, that transferrable miles cards can really really help out. There's a reason why Chase UR is loved around here.

True but you live and learn, or you die and I'm still kicking.

I just have to get my wife to buy in and go as hard as I am. We are planning to go to AUS and maybe NZ and AA business class is 125k while 1w explorer PDX-LAX-SYD-AUK-SYD-LAX-PDX is like 130k business, but the wifey has problems "playing games" with money, so it may be a stretch to get her to 130k AA. AS well as the fact her job will only giver her 10 days off and, while fine for Aus OR NZ, to do BOTH would be a bit of a stretch time wise, might just have to bite the bullet and just to Aus, (her #1 bucket list) business there and 1st back routing through LAX so we can hit the qantas 380 first (MY bucket list).

Stubtify Sep 18, 2012 10:55 pm

I think it is important to note for OP that cards like the US airways MC, the AA cards, and the SPG amex dump points directly into your FF account. So cancelling the card does not mean you lose the points.

Cards like Amex MR and Chase UR can transfer to many airline and hotel partners, but if you cancel the card you lose any points you have yet to transfer.

This is an important piece of the puzzle. I know friends of mine feel pressured to use all their miles before the Annual Fee hits, and then I explain to them that they can cancel the card and not lose the miles. (The Chase United Explorer card is a good example of this).

PDX: Looks like you're on your way to some great trips, just make sure to post and ask for advice on redemptions here on FT. Redeeming is just as important as earning--if can get 2 trips out of the same amount of miles, you've in effect doubled your point total. PM with any questions, already far enough off topic :P

TravelPDX7 Sep 18, 2012 11:00 pm

Originally Posted by lwildernorva (Post 19341424)

I am voracious in my studies, I just dont post here much. Just because you do not post does not mean you do not learn and Im a quick study :cool:;)