Wiki Posts
Search

maximize upcoming hotel stays for points

Search this Thread

Old Aug 1, 2012, 8:04 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AC *E
maximize upcoming hotel stays for points

I'm new to hotel programs and have some upcoming trips and I would like to know how to maximize hotel points earning for these trips.

Nov 24-29 IST
Dec 3-7 HKG
Dec 8 LGA or EWR
Dec 25 LHR
Dec 26-30 Paris
Dec 31 LHR

I don't have any of these stays booked yet and any suggestion would be appreciated. Thanks.
Old Aug 2, 2012, 2:46 am
mia

Programs: AA & Marriott Perpetual Platinum; DL & HH Gold
We need more information. Much more. You will receive better advice if you mention your budget per night, if you expect to stay in the city center, near an airport, or in the suburbs, and the type of awards you would hope to obtain later.

Accumulating the highest number of points is not the same as achieving the best value. Hotel points vary substantially between chains. Some award two points per dollar spent, some award 10+ points per dollar.
Old Aug 2, 2012, 3:27 am

Programs: AA, UA, DL, AS, LH, BA, VS, HHonors, Hyatt, Club Carlson, IHG, Marriott
Remember some hotel programs have ongoing promotions during the year which can maximize any points earned. For more info, check periodically the respective forum for the hotel program you're interested in.
Old Aug 2, 2012, 9:00 am
Original Poster

Programs: AC *E
I guess what I'm hoping to get is primarily reward nights and upgrades to better rooms. Not really interested in free breakfasts at all.

I know rates vary quite substantially in each city and I prefer to stay in the city centre for most places and I usually stay in 3* to 4* facilities depending on the rates. I'm less concerned about the rooms but more about transportation to and from the hotel.

I've travelled several times to HKG and I typically stay in either the Hyatt Regency Shatin or the Ibis North Point. Both have direct train or bus service from the airport and almost to the door at the hotel. The prices usually range between $100-$200USD/night.

thanks
Old Aug 3, 2012, 11:56 am

Programs: AA, UA, DL, AS, LH, BA, VS, HHonors, Hyatt, Club Carlson, IHG, Marriott
Originally Posted by mmj_lee
I guess what I'm hoping to get is primarily reward nights and upgrades to better rooms. Not really interested in free breakfasts at all.

I know rates vary quite substantially in each city and.....
Not sure if I was clear before but I wasn't talking about rates. For instance, Wyndham currently has 4x miles/points for stays. Park Plaza is offering now 10K points if you stay at selected hotels in Asia. Other hotel chains have similar promotions sometimes throughout the year so you can earn more points than you would normally do. Also, they may have 2 for 1 nights and so forth but you should remain subscribed to their offers by email and check their respective forums here periodically.
Old Aug 3, 2012, 12:12 pm

Programs: DL Gold/MM, HH Diamond, Hyatt Explorist, IHG Platinum, Marriott Lifetime Gold
I always look at pointmaven.com before making my hotel selection if I want to maximize points.
Old Aug 3, 2012, 12:13 pm

Programs: AA Exp, but not sure for how long. Enterprise Platinum woo-hoo!
As a general rule, you will get upgrades only as a result of elite status, which will require a certain number of nights or stays in the prior year. Hotels give out the lowest elite status level quite freely, so you would have to shoot for the next level. If you are not already elite, this trip will not qualify you for elite status on this trip. If you are able to concentrate your stays in the same chain, you might be able to get elite status for next year. I'm not sure just what is required, and it varies from chain to chain. You have 16 nights listed, I think it usually takes 15-25 nights to get elite status. Even then, you are not going to walk into a resort and be told "Mr. Trekker, we hope that a Prestiege Suite for the price of a regular room will be adequate, we're sorry but the Imperial Suites are all booked."

Free nights are a different matter. You can accumulate points toward free nights wherever you stay. Again I'm not an expert, but I think for example that Marriott gives you 10 points per dollar spent, and their top redemption is 40K points. So if you stayed 16 nights in rooms costing $250 a night, you'd have enough points for one free night at one of their top-tier hotels - or 2, 3, or 4 nights at lesser properties.

I think you will do best by just booking the hotels that seem best in regard to your price, location, and quality requirements. It's probably not worth even an extra $10 to stay at a Hilton rather than a Marriott because you are accumulating Hilton points, and certainly not an extra $20.
Old Aug 3, 2012, 12:22 pm

Programs: AA Exp, but not sure for how long. Enterprise Platinum woo-hoo!
As a general rule, you will get upgrades only as a result of elite status, which will require a certain number of nights or stays in the prior year. Hotels give out the lowest elite status level quite freely, so you would have to shoot for the next level. If you are not already elite, this trip will not qualify you for elite status on this trip. If you are able to concentrate your stays in the same chain, you might be able to get elite status for next year. I'm not sure just what is required, and it varies from chain to chain. You have 16 nights listed, I think it usually takes 15-25 nights to get elite status. Even then, you are not going to walk into a resort and be told "Mr. Trekker, we hope that a Prestiege Suite for the price of a regular room will be adequate, we're sorry but the Imperial Suites are all booked."

Free nights are a different matter. You can accumulate points toward free nights wherever you stay. Again I'm not an expert, but I think for example that Marriott gives you 10 points per dollar spent, and their top redemption is 40K points. So if you stayed 16 nights in rooms costing $250 a night, you'd have enough points for one free night at one of their top-tier hotels - or 2, 3, or 4 nights at lesser properties.

I think you will do best by just booking the hotels that seem best in regard to your price, location, and quality requirements. It's probably not worth even an extra $10 to stay at a Hilton rather than a Marriott because you are accumulating Hilton points, and certainly not an extra $20.
Old Aug 4, 2012, 9:38 pm

Programs: AA-EXP, BAEC Silver, Hyatt-Globalist, Hilton-gold, SPG-gold
Look for a hotel program that offers status with the associated credit card. Then stick to that chain.
Most chains offer status based on stays or nights so you may do better by switching hotels every few nights

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.