Search this Thread

Old Jul 14, 2012, 1:59 pm
Original Poster

Airline Elite Status Overrated?

Last edited by LovesTraveling; Feb 11, 2014 at 9:26 pm
Old Jul 14, 2012, 2:06 pm

Programs: AA Exp
The two big perks for me:

1. Exit Row. I am taller than average and having the extra leg room makes a huge difference.

2. Fewer fees. I can make Award bookings last minute, or change existing Awards (even cancel) without any fees. This alone saves me over $1000/year.

I'm sure lounge access for international flights, higher priority for Standy-By, Same-Day Stand-By without a fee, and Priority Access for Security lines and early boarding (to get overhead space) make it appealing to others.

It's not all about First Class (though I've never turned it down).
Old Jul 14, 2012, 2:09 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Delta DM & MM, Hilton DM, Marriott gold, Hyatt Globalist, Alaska 75K, Wyndham Diamond,
For me there are a lot of other benefits besides upgrades.

I have the benefits of free checked bags on the rare occassion I want to check a bag and it is suppose to get priority treatment. If I carry on and don't get upgraded it is nice being able to board early and not have to fight for bin space.

If I don't get upgraded, on Delta I get a free drink or snack box coupon on my BP which makes sitting in the back a little more comfortable.

I also enjoy being able to SDC on to an earlier flight for free.

If you have a flight cancel due to any IROPS situation, having status makes it much easier.

I also enjoy having the TSA trusted traveller line access (which you might be able to get by just having GE or NEXUS), that and the access to the preferred security line save a lot of time.

While 60K miles over 2 1/2 years is a lot more than the typical citizen flies, that is nothing for a lot of people on FT. I fly well over that in a year, and many FTer's have flown well over that many miles in 2012 alone. The more trips you make, the more you appreciate things like SDC, when you have an irops situation you appreciate the benefits more and if you are entering an airport once or twice a week you appreciate the shorter security lines.
Old Jul 14, 2012, 2:09 pm

Programs: Hyatt, Hilton, Marriott // WN, AA, BA, UA, AS // Avis
Originally Posted by AriLovesTraveling
I have flown over 60 thousand miles the last 2 and 1/2 years on airlines such as Cathay Pacific, United, Southwest, AA, DL, JetBlue.
I had no elite status with any airline because I flown all different airlines with different alliances for the most part. I have sat in regular economy, going through regular security lines, sitting at the gate instead of a lounge. My travel experiences for the most part have been fine. I sit and watch a movie for a few hours and get to my destination.

Also People make it seem the airline and the flight is the whole vacation or trip. It's their to get you to and from where you need to go and back

Now of course sitting in first class is great, and getting upgrades is great, but in reality sitting in economy for a few hours isn't the worst thing in the world as many of you FTers make it out to be.

There is nothing wrong with enjoying First Class, but it's not so terrible sitting in in a regular seat for your flight watching a movie and just relaxing.

I know I will get highly critized but all I am saying is economy isn't as bad as you people make it seem.
I absolutely consider getting to/from my destination as an integral part of the trip itself.

I flew Business Premier on LAN last year. My first time in anything other than Coach/Economy Plus.

For any flight longer than 5 hours, I'll never go back to Coach again. That's how good it was. My entire trip, not just the flying part, was substantially enhanced because of my experience onboard. From not being jetlagged when I landed, to just the feeling of being well treated and start the trip off on a high note... It made a HUGE difference to myself and my wife.
Old Jul 14, 2012, 2:16 pm

Programs: AS 75k, OW Emerald, Hyatt Globalist, HHonors Gold, National EE
What everyone else said. But I don't think you should worry about being criticized. To each their own, as the saying goes. I value different things, so elite status isn't overrated for me.

Specifically, the fees benefit is huge. Being able to adjust award tickets up to the last minute ensures that I either get an optimal routing, or an optimal experience (specific airlines, aircraft, etc). I often check bags because of my travel schedule, so that helps. Finally, being 6'5" tall, priority access (and free access) to exit rows, upgraded seating, first class, etc., makes travel better for my regular transcon flights.

And just like what was said above, if I am going to spend 5-20 hours in a plane getting somewhere, I want to arrive comfortably and refreshed. I don't want a vacation to start with fatigue and discomfort. I recently changed from about 20 hours of airtime to 30 hours (a 50% increase) just so that I could go in an upgraded cabin. I couldn't have been happier. Rather than spending all that time in Y, crunched in between others, I got wider, more comfortable seats, great food, and plenty of good sleep. Without elite benefits, such as bonus earnings, etc., I probably wouldn't have had the same experience.

If your travel is different, or if you value different things, then yes -- it could be overrated. For me, it isn't.
Old Jul 14, 2012, 2:17 pm
Original Poster

Last edited by LovesTraveling; Feb 12, 2014 at 2:19 am
Old Jul 14, 2012, 2:33 pm

Programs: "But, I'm a GLOBALIST guest...."
The main reasons I like elite status are:

1) mileage doubling on paid flights.

2) Exit row/First Class upgrades. If you're over 6'4", things can get a little squished in coach.
Old Jul 14, 2012, 2:34 pm

Programs: All of the Above
Why would you not try to get elite status? See for yourself if you think it's better or not. As for me, I love it. It's life impossible to live without it? No.

Shoot for status on 1 airline. If you hate it, just request that they treat you like a normal person, or change airlines again.
Old Jul 14, 2012, 2:40 pm

Programs: DL DM, HH Gold, SPG Gold, Hyatt Plat
60,000 miles over 2.5 years is a fairly light amount of travel. Until about 2 years ago, I traveled annually about the same amount, maybe 20k-25k miles per year. When I traveled that much, the elite perks were insignificant. In addition, entry level status on most airlines is also moderately beneficial, and many of those perks can be had just by having the airline CC.

But once you start flying 50k+ per year, ESPECIALLY on shorter domestic trips, the elite status is a big benefit. For international trips it means lounge access, priority seating, better customer service, possible upgrades, ect. Domestic travel usually means more frquent trips so having priority securitty lines and check in really saves time and sanity. Upgrades are ususally much more frequent.

Finally the 2x bonus miles earned through elite status help with the family life. My wife hates my constant travel, but when we can go on a trip anywhere in the world in business class each year using miles, she is much more tolerant of my travel.

So I would agree that in your situation, elite status isn't that desireable. Flying 25k-30k miles a year is where you start to appreciate it, but it's still not that great. Personally I didn't really appreciate it until I was in the 50k+ miles a year.
Old Jul 14, 2012, 2:54 pm

Location: SFO, SJC, OAK, LVK AA Lifetime Plat 2MM, LUV A-List, Hyatt Gold, SPG Lifetime Gold, Commercial Pilot (not employed by airlines)
As the man said, to each his own, but I figure if I am going to travel anyway, why not gain status and get all that goes with it? I'm perpetual Platinum on AA and just made A-List on SW. On those HOT days there have been in Phoenix lately I have been very appreciative of being able to bypass the lines.

Years ago I was at LAX and stepped off the Avis bus to see the check-in line at AA literally out onto the sidewalk--and the sidewalk itself was jammed. It was a very hot day and there had been a bomb scare. As I walked down the sidewalk to the entrance near the escalator which would bring me to the TSA short-line, I overheard someone say "they are saying at least two hours to check-in." Ten minutes later while I was sipping a cool one in the Admiral's Club, I gave pause to think about those poor .......s on the sidewalk and how glad I was that I put some effort into getting the status that had me sitting in the cool AC within the AC.

Then there was the day I was flying from DCA to SAN and was diverted to IAD. I eventually got to my destination that day and after-all that, on time! It was a day I still remember fondly. AA pro-activeness played a big part in making it a good day, along with a lot of other good-natured people. I'm not sure I would be able to say that had it not been for my status.

Most of the time it's not a big deal. I still fly in coach more than half the time (all the time on SW) but every so often a situation occurs that makes me very happy I have some status.
Old Jul 14, 2012, 3:07 pm

Programs: Delta SM Lifetime, Hilton , Bonvoy Titanium
If you don't want status continue to enjoy your travel experiences. If you don't have it you wont ever miss it. For me, I'll take the status! Way too many benefits that make getting there just as enjoyable as being there!
Old Jul 14, 2012, 3:13 pm

Programs: HH LTD, AA LTG
I enjoy FC upgrades and free drinks in Admiral Lounges when flying INT but like OP, tend to think they are over-rated on this message board, but to each their own. What I value MUCH more since I take advantage of these for every flight I have status on is:

-Exit Row, I am tall, love the legroom and the fact that some jackass sitting in front of me can't put his seat back in my lap (FWIW I do not recline my seat).
-500 mile min per each leg and X2 the mileage earning for each flight.
-Head of the line privileges for re booking on flight disruptions /canx and going STBY for an earlier flight.
-Quicker lines checking in and going through security in most airports.
-Free checked bags - bags tagged to come off first (though the later is hit and miss with bag handlers).
-No fees for miles redemption.
Old Jul 14, 2012, 3:35 pm

Programs: Tegridy Elite
In some sense, yes...and also depending on the airline. The value of status keeps getting watered down, in some airlines more than others, especially lower levels. I can see a time when only the current top tier remains as a viable goal, with much higher thresholds and further devaluation.

A lot of the "perks" are things that once were free for everyone (checked bag for example, or award fees that never used to exist). The RDM bonuses are probably the most important to me personally. Domestic complimentary upgrades are nice, too.

Priority lines can be helpful especially at peak times or if running late (which I always am if the wife is along) but at some airports it doesn't make much difference.

But, it's certainly possible to survive just fine without it and to also have a great trip without it. I often like to think about what travel was like just a generation or two before mine, or the millions of people worldwide today who have no means of efficiently traveling beyond the next village or two. Even the worst economy, low-cost carrier flight would seem like a dream luxury in comparison. At one time people crossed the continent in wagons and we whine about not getting an upgrade on a transcon flight! Sometimes a little perspective helps, just my opinion.
Old Jul 14, 2012, 3:38 pm
Suspended

Programs: *A
Nothing super-special about elite status, just makes the bus trip a bit more bearable.
Old Jul 14, 2012, 3:41 pm

I just lost elite status after having it for 12 years. I have taken one trip as a non elite and as you said, I survived. I do miss the exit row and the possibility of a FC upgrade which I had the good fortune of getting 80%-90% for the last 12 years.

I will tell you one benefit of being a non elite. There is no constant checking of the upgrade status and to see if a FC seat has opened up. I would monitor fare buckets many times a day to see if I could snag the seat if I did not clear at my window.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.