Wiki Posts
Search

Frequent Flyer Program Award Redemption Satisfaction Survey [to 11 June 2012]

Search this Thread

Old May 19, 2012, 1:36 pm
Moderator: Hilton Honors forums
Original Poster

Frequent Flyer Program Award Redemption Satisfaction Survey [to 11 June 2012]

How satisfied or dissatisfied are you with award redemptions at your current frequent flyer program(s)? FlyerTalk and Frequent Business Traveler are conducting the Frequent Flyer Program Award Redemption Satisfaction Survey, which will be active through June 11, 2012.

This is the second in a series of joint surveys by FlyerTalk and Frequent Business Traveler magazine. Frequent Business Traveler will provide the survey; FlyerTalk members will provide the opinions. Most FlyerTalk members redeem frequent flier loyalty program miles — but depending on personal preferences, the frequent flier loyalty programs of some airlines are significantly more satisfying and beneficial than others.

Results of this poll will be announced by both Frequent Business Traveler magazine and FlyerTalk.

So — with which airline frequent flier loyalty programs are you very satisfied, and with which airline frequent flier loyalty programs are you least satisfied? Please vote today and let everyone know!

I will start...

I have been overall quite satisfied with the Delta Air Lines SkyMiles frequent flier loyalty program in terms of upgrade percentage, bonus miles, award ticket redemption, “rollover” Medallion Qualification Miles and other benefits — but the award calendar can be rather unpredictable and annoying, and the pricing of flights can sometimes be more expensive than I would prefer. However, I do like that they eliminated the fees for procuring an award ticket within two weeks of the flight, resulting in easing the use of my SkyMiles.

Even though I have no elite status in the United Airlines Mileage Plus frequent flier loyalty program, for some reason I seem to get upgraded to the Economy Plus seats for no charge on the day of the flight — a nice surprise perk that can brighten my day with a little extra legroom.

The American Airlines AAdvantage frequent flier loyalty program has been aggressive with offering enticing incentives to fly as a passenger, such as double elite qualification miles on certain routes, which helps its members attain elite status and the benefits associated with it sooner rather than later.

I do not like the idea of paying a fee just to use my US Airways Dividend Miles frequent flier loyalty program miles — even as a basic member without elite status. It is an irritating fee at best and devalues the miles, in my opinion. I avoid earning miles in the US Airways Dividend Miles frequent flier loyalty program — especially when I can bank them in the United Airlines Mileage Plus frequent flier loyalty program, as both are member airlines of Star Alliance. My 8,000 Dividend Miles are basically worthless to me at the moment.

I have others, but enough about me — what about you?

Last edited by Canarsie; Jun 6, 2012 at 4:33 pm Reason: Changed expiration date of survey, as it has been extended.
Old May 20, 2012, 4:38 am

Originally Posted by Canarsie
I do not like the idea of paying a fee just to use my US Airways Dividend Miles frequent flier loyalty program miles — even as a basic member without elite status. It is an irritating fee at best and devalues the miles, in my opinion. I avoid earning miles in the US Airways Dividend Miles frequent flier loyalty program — especially when I can bank them in the United Airlines Mileage Plus frequent flier loyalty program, as both are member airlines of Star Alliance. My 8,000 Dividend Miles are basically worthless to me at the moment.
I'd agree 1000% that redemption fees are annoying- but sounds like you're using your miles just as US wishes you would- you aren't. They love it even more when those miles come from partner promotions and cobrands, because the airline gets paid for the miles even if you never redeem them.
Old May 20, 2012, 10:25 am
Senior Moderator

Programs: UA Plat/2MM [23-yr. 1K, now emeritus] clawing way back to WN-A List; MR LT Titanium; HY Whateverist.
As this concerns frequent travel loyalty programs, it's apt for the MilesBuzz forum and it's been moved there for more discussion. Ocn Vw 1K, Moderator, TravelBuzz.
Old May 20, 2012, 10:52 am

Programs: AA PLT 2MM
Recent cancellation of a trip using miles from three otherwise excellent programs (AAdvantage, United Mileage Plus, and Lufthansa Miles & More) caused me to confront various cancellation/redeposit fees. United's fees are the most obscene, at $150. AA is second, only slight less obscene, at $125. LH is a much more reasonable $60.

These are for seats that were cancelled more than 60 days before departure on routes where the seats will most likely be resold at a premium rather than returned to award inventory. Cancellation takes 5 minutes with an agent (and could be done online if the airlines were a bit more with it). The fees are outrageous and punitive and bear no relation whatsoever to any expense conceivably incurred by the airline/program. As you can see, UA and AA have successfully pissed me off.
Old May 20, 2012, 8:43 pm

Programs: ua S, marriott P, hilton G, ihg P
so far AA has been my favorite despite being an lowly elite on AS. As soon as I get over the hurdle of ignoring the Economy Saver completely, the availability seems great, and I even got Business/First saver occasionally which is greater.

as to AS, too bad it's not flying too many places from where I live.

UA is always more expensive than AA, and hence not accumulating a lot of flying miles on them.

DL redemption rate seems to be expensive in my book. So try to avoid them, unless the points come easy (like a CC).
Old May 21, 2012, 4:30 am

Programs: Many
Originally Posted by j3brooklyn
Recent cancellation of a trip using miles from three otherwise excellent programs (AAdvantage, United Mileage Plus, and Lufthansa Miles & More) caused me to confront various cancellation/redeposit fees. United's fees are the most obscene, at $150. AA is second, only slight less obscene, at $125. LH is a much more reasonable $60.

These are for seats that were cancelled more than 60 days before departure on routes where the seats will most likely be resold at a premium rather than returned to award inventory. Cancellation takes 5 minutes with an agent (and could be done online if the airlines were a bit more with it). The fees are outrageous and punitive and bear no relation whatsoever to any expense conceivably incurred by the airline/program. As you can see, UA and AA have successfully pissed me off.
I agree that redeposit fees should be reasonable. The reason for the fees isn't related so much to their expense in handling a transaction; it is to make money, and also to make sure the limited award inventory gets booked by people really planning to use it. If there were no redeposit fees, I could certainly see lots of us tying up lots of seats speculatively, thus blocking inventory from others wanting it. So within reason redeposit fees are a necessity.
Old May 21, 2012, 12:57 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold/OWE, several MUCCI, and assorted Pensions!
Interesting see that BA (British Airways) was flagged for a fairly significant improvement in reward availability. I've never had a problem in getting availability (OK, occasionally had to shift plans by one day) but then LHR-IAD is a fairly easy route.

However, there's a lot of discussion on the BA Forum about how hard things are now getting. Many complaints are clearly from those who expect everything for nothing, including those who picked up a huge pile of bonus Avios for signing up to a CC program ... all of whom seem to be looking at redemptions on the most popular routes at peak times, and usually with oneWorld partner carriers rather than BA. However, even the regular, hard-core, BA-flying community are feeling a bit 'nervous'. Is this a "London Olympic thing"? Is it a shift in BA's Revenue Management algorithms? We don't know!!

I wonder how things will look this time next year?
Old May 21, 2012, 1:00 pm

Programs: AA, UAL
Originally Posted by srdshelly
I agree that redeposit fees should be reasonable. The reason for the fees isn't related so much to their expense in handling a transaction; it is to make money, and also to make sure the limited award inventory gets booked by people really planning to use it. If there were no redeposit fees, I could certainly see lots of us tying up lots of seats speculatively, thus blocking inventory from others wanting it. So within reason redeposit fees are a necessity.
Never thought of redeposit fee from that point of view! Now, I am not completely against it :-)

I have tried Delta, UA and AA redemption and did not have much trouble getting dates / seats on Delta UA. I had to make some really convoluted itinerary to get booking on AA though. While trying to get seat on AA, I seriously felt that AA has only a single seat available for mileage redemption on each flight. All my bookings were made at least 2 months in advance.
Old May 21, 2012, 3:42 pm
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: QR G, A3 G, EK G, IHG Amb, GHA Black, WOH LT something
I have to say I am annoyed at LH revenue managament for awards (among so many other things) as of late, and I think I am not the only one.

even with M&M as a SEN it's impossible to book 2 F seats 6 months out, on flights that are fully empty in F: F8A8, i have been on a waiting list for almost 2 months now.

Furthermore, since mid november 2011, they have blocked their F seats to *A partner to 2 weeks out prior to departure. Fine I can somewhat deal with that, but what really gets under my skin, is that recently they have blocked US DM from getting any awards at all. What's the point of *A if you block some of the members from getting the seats....
Old May 21, 2012, 3:54 pm

Programs: AA, BA, UA, Spirit, Delta, PC Plat, SPG Gold, HHonors Diamond, Club Carlson Gold, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by iTanNicNic
I'd agree 1000% that redemption fees are annoying- but sounds like you're using your miles just as US wishes you would- you aren't. They love it even more when those miles come from partner promotions and cobrands, because the airline gets paid for the miles even if you never redeem them.
There isn't much that can be done with 8,000 miles though.
Old May 21, 2012, 3:58 pm

Programs: AA, BA, UA, Spirit, Delta, PC Plat, SPG Gold, HHonors Diamond, Club Carlson Gold, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by fromfall98
Never thought of redeposit fee from that point of view! Now, I am not completely against it :-)

I have tried Delta, UA and AA redemption and did not have much trouble getting dates / seats on Delta UA. I had to make some really convoluted itinerary to get booking on AA though. While trying to get seat on AA, I seriously felt that AA has only a single seat available for mileage redemption on each flight. All my bookings were made at least 2 months in advance.
And I can't help but feel they intentionally come up with absolutely insane routings to make you give up that off-peak option altogether...
Old May 22, 2012, 8:41 am
7E7

Programs: AC*E75
I was going to complete, but could not be bothered to click not applicable for all the programs I do not use. Not a very well designed survey.
Old Jun 4, 2012, 8:25 pm
Moderator: Hilton Honors forums
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Canarsie
How satisfied or dissatisfied are you with award redemptions at your current frequent flyer program(s)? FlyerTalk and Frequent Business Traveler are conducting the Frequent Flyer Program Award Redemption Satisfaction Survey, which will be active through May 31, 2012.
I just received word moments ago that the survey will now be active through June 11, 2012 — so please do not forget to vote!
Old Jun 6, 2012, 1:26 pm

BA

I'm flying more than I have been recently, and have built up a fare amount of miles.

Whenever I book a flight (Europe mostly) I am looking at ba air miles before anything else.
There is never any availability, even 2-3 months in advance for the dates I want to fly.

This makes the scheme pointless in my eyes, with the only time I have managed to redeem any recently being for an internal Iberia flight!

I'm currently out in Dubai, and again the ba miles options totally failed me here on options - even given a large amount of flexibility.

G
Old Jun 6, 2012, 3:20 pm

Programs: BAEC Gold, M&M Senator
LH is very good for intra-European flights (and, contrary to all the US programs, if you book close in and stay over a Saturday night, you get the award at 40% off). Less so for transatlantic.

AA & BA were pretty good for transatlantic. When I was looking in January for this summer (not for the Olympics but for mid June and mid-August), there was a lot of availability, especially on JFK-LHR. Some days had multiple flights with 5-7 award seats in biz! Now I know they have amazing capacity on that route (like 10+ flights a day), but I still think that is pretty darn good.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.