Search
Old Nov 19, 2013, 6:07 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: TravelinSperry
All offers are expired/dead as of March 31, 2017

AA: https://scs.fidelity.com/other/offer...shtml?MSC=AA01

United: https://scs.fidelity.com/other/offer...shtml?MSC=UA01

Delta: https://scs.fidelity.com/other/offer...on_delta.shtml

Update as of May 21, 2014 - in recent weeks some people have reported being told that they are no longer eligible for this offer, in spite of meeting the previous terms and conditions. Some Fidelity representatives are saying that these offers are targeted. Note the bold words in the the terms and conditions below - "Other terms and conditions may apply."

The funds or securities must stay in the account for 9 months
The offer may be repeated every 365 days if the terms were met (rolling 12 months)
The funds may not already be in a Fidelity account, but must be sourced from elsewhere

If you are moving funds or securities out of Fidelity, with intent to move it back to claim this bonus, members have recommended to keep the funds/securities out for at least 3 months to avoid risk of losing eligibility for the deposit. Some have been told unofficially by advisers 30 days. YMMV.

Members who have pulled funds/deposits out within 9 months have reported they were allowed to keep the miles, but were banned for life from being able to repeat the offer.

Added September 26, 2016:

Any withdrawals from the account during the qualification period will count against the total deposited. This includes dividends upon you may dependent to live. So be sure to transfer assets whose value covers the minimum you need plus any you might withdraw during those 60 days.

It is strongly suggested you register for the offer you want by calling Fidelity's Promotion Department at (800)544-5315, as the online registration has been flaky in the past. Also, if you have high net worth, a "High Net Worth supervisor" may be able to help - simply call the Premium Services number on your account statement to find someone who has the power to do most anything. Get the name and phone number of the person you spoke with and ask him or her to note in your account that you have been approved, and by whom. Then, if after you transfer assets you get an email saying you are not eligible for the offer for which you registered (yes, this has happened), call the rep again, asking to read the notes on your account. You will probably be told that the email was automated and was sent in error and that they will hand babysit the funding and resultant miles.

If the registration page tells you are not eligible because you have had the offer before, call one of the above numbers. You are eligible after on year. That year probably starts counting when the miles are awarded, not when you register or when you add assets.

Trusts require extra caution on their part. Sometimes they require that you give them a lot of paperwork for trusts. If you have a local Fidelity office, just bring in everything required and they will copy and mail it for you. Easy. Otherwise, just mail it in. If upon trying to register online you are informed that your Revocable Living Trust account is not eligible, well, just call one of the above numbers, because it is eligible. They just have to verify a few things and then override the system. They want to know that you are the only trustee and the only beneficiary.

From the Terms and Conditions page:

Promotional Offer Rules:

This promotional offer is only available to new or existing Fidelity brokerage account customers opening or depositing net new assets into a joint or individual nonretirement Fidelity Account®. Net new assets are defined as an individual’s external new money in minus money out, including distributions and transfers.

This offer expires September 30, 2014, and is not transferable or valid in conjunction with any other Fidelity promotional offer. Fidelity Investments reserves the right to modify, change, or alter the terms and conditions of the promotional offer in its sole discretion at any time. Fidelity Investments may terminate this promotional offer at any time. Other terms and conditions may apply.

Promotional offers are limited to one per individual per rolling 12 months.
The promotion is not available for business accounts; trust accounts; mutual fund only accounts; retirement accounts, including, among others, Fidelity IRA, Roth IRA, SEP, and SIMPLE accounts; 401(k) and 403(b) workplace retirement plans; fiduciary accounts (including custodial accounts, estate accounts); 529 college savings plan accounts (i.e. college investment trust accounts); Fidelity accounts managed by Strategic Advisers, Inc. (for example, Portfolio Advisory Services); Institutional Wealth Services (IWS) clients; clients of registered investment advisors working with Fidelity Investments; annuities; and Stock Plan Services accounts. Offer is not valid for non-U.S. residents; persons affiliated with FINRA, a securities exchange or its members; employees of Fidelity, its affiliates, and members of their immediate families and households; or the media.

Certain states and local jurisdictions have laws that limit or restrict public employees from accepting items of value from vendors such as Fidelity that provide services to public institutions. Some public entities such as governments, state universities, health care organizations, etc., also have internal policies that may contain similar restrictions. If you are a public official or employee, you should determine if one of these laws or internal policies applies to you. By accepting this incentive, we assume that you are in compliance with your jurisdiction's laws and institution's internal policies.

Transferred assets will be valued, for the purposes of determining eligibility for this promotional offer, at the close of business Eastern time on the business day or next business day, if on a weekend day or holiday, following receipt by Fidelity Investments of the assets into the account that is eligible for the promotional offer. Funding must come from an external, non-Fidelity source via any standard monetary transfer method (a standard Transfer of Assets form, check, electronic funds transfer, ADM deposit, etc.). Please allow eight weeks from the funding of the eligible account, with the qualifying dollar amount of assets, for American Airlines AAdvantage® miles to be posted to your AAdvantage® account. Your Fidelity Account® must remain open with the qualifying funding for six months from the date that the qualifying assets are first received in the eligible account.

New accounts must be opened within 30 days of registering for the offer. Additional deposits to the eligible Fidelity account may earn you a higher mileage award provided the result is that the cumulative assets meet or exceed the next eligibility tier (up to a maximum of 50,000 AAdvantage® miles). For new accounts, initial and subsequent deposits must be made within 60 days of Fidelity account opening. For new money deposited into existing accounts, all deposits must be made within 60 days of registering for the offer.
Print Wikipost

Fidelity Bonus offers for airline miles & hotel points [EXPIRED March 31, 2017]

Search this Thread

Old May 18, 2012, 6:16 pm

Originally Posted by Rommie2k6
Is this enforced?
I am not willing to take the chance of withdrawing after the miles are deposited and end up letting them decide on the cost of 15,000 mile. End up like Citi has done with their 1099 cost of miles. I have 5 other checking accounts making around 3% plus and I was hoping I could just use $25,000 to cycle but that appears to be gone. At least for me. So I will ride out the 6 months and put it back into a rewards checking account. Kind of glad I only did the 25K.
Old May 18, 2012, 6:40 pm

Originally Posted by gohogs34
I am not willing to take the chance of withdrawing after the miles are deposited and end up letting them decide on the cost of 15,000 mile. End up like Citi has done with their 1099 cost of miles. I have 5 other checking accounts making around 3% plus and I was hoping I could just use $25,000 to cycle but that appears to be gone. At least for me. So I will ride out the 6 months and put it back into a rewards checking account. Kind of glad I only did the 25K.
OT, I know, but where are you getting 3% on your checking accounts??
Old May 18, 2012, 6:55 pm

Programs: AA EXP, HH Gold, Hyatt Globalist, IC Plat, SPG Gold
FWIW, a Data Point:

One of my friend with an existing brokerage account (that was opened in 2009 via AA promotion) funded $55k via fund existing account from the OP's link. Today he got a an email with the following message. Is he out of luck? I thought as long as no promotional miles received in last 12 months, it was ok to fund existing account and get more miles.

Thank you for signing up for the Fidelity Account® special offer for American Airlines® AAdvantage® members.

Our records indicate that you are not currently eligible for this offer because you selected a type of account that is not eligible to receive this offer.
Old May 18, 2012, 7:12 pm

Further datapoint

4/25 dep 5k
4/25 dep 20k
4/27 dep 25k
5/2 applied for apple promo dep 250.00
5/3 email saying "almost there-need to email us or contact us" for apple giftcard
-did not respond
5/7 with 50k
5/8 dep 50k
5/15 25k UA miles posted
5/15 with 50k
5/17 dep 25k

so as of now, deposit 50k with no withdrawals and got 25k UA miles 19 days later. Will cycle one more 25K and wait two weeks and see what happens...

Last edited by ggmm5; May 18, 2012 at 7:13 pm Reason: add more info
Old May 18, 2012, 7:12 pm

Originally Posted by hard2please
OT, I know, but where are you getting 3% on your checking accounts??
I read his forum some: http://www.depositaccounts.com/ira/6...ira-rates.html
I work/ live outside Memphis, TN and there are three banks I have signed myself and wife up for. They are Commercial Bank, First bank and Insouth. They all have different stipulations, interest earned only on $25,000 with a direct deposit and 12 pin uses each month, another is card purchases, direct deposit and write a check a month with interest only on $15,000.
They are called REWARDS checking. Read and understand ALL rules before signing up. Direct deposit, online statements, pin vs credit purchases & view account online once a month, ect... Yes it is some trouble to do this each month, but after my 5% CD matured, I signed up for a 2.75% CD and kept the rest of the $$ waiting/hoping something would change for the better!! Like today, I was at Wallyworld at the self checkout and did the 24 pins with peppers, 4 cents each. I have done this for sometime so I am fast and go there early so I will not keep anyone waiting behind me..

Last edited by gohogs34; May 18, 2012 at 7:21 pm Reason: addition
Old May 18, 2012, 8:39 pm

Programs: AA lifetime platinum, Jet Blue Mosaic
Originally Posted by aglp2k
FWIW, a Data Point:

One of my friend with an existing brokerage account (that was opened in 2009 via AA promotion) funded $55k via fund existing account from the OP's link. Today he got a an email with the following message. Is he out of luck? I thought as long as no promotional miles received in last 12 months, it was ok to fund existing account and get more miles.

Thank you for signing up for the Fidelity Account® special offer for American Airlines® AAdvantage® members.

Our records indicate that you are not currently eligible for this offer because you selected a type of account that is not eligible to receive this offer.
I received the same e-mail for a different reason. I was told it was a generic response no matte what the problem. There is a telephone number included in the e-mail. I suggest you call.

Last edited by kayjay; May 18, 2012 at 8:42 pm Reason: posted without response
Old May 18, 2012, 9:54 pm

Fidelity Bonus offers for airline miles & hotel points ONLY

So far as we know, there has been no such thing as being "charged for miles". Yes, we are in new territory, but I'm not convinced that Fidelity will resort to this measure. We will find out soon.
Old May 19, 2012, 2:56 am

Originally Posted by gohogs34
I read his forum some: http://www.depositaccounts.com/ira/6...ira-rates.html
I work/ live outside Memphis, TN and there are three banks I have signed myself and wife up for. They are Commercial Bank, First bank and Insouth. They all have different stipulations, interest earned only on $25,000 with a direct deposit and 12 pin uses each month, another is card purchases, direct deposit and write a check a month with interest only on $15,000.
They are called REWARDS checking. Read and understand ALL rules before signing up. Direct deposit, online statements, pin vs credit purchases & view account online once a month, ect... Yes it is some trouble to do this each month, but after my 5% CD matured, I signed up for a 2.75% CD and kept the rest of the $$ waiting/hoping something would change for the better!! Like today, I was at Wallyworld at the self checkout and did the 24 pins with peppers, 4 cents each. I have done this for sometime so I am fast and go there early so I will not keep anyone waiting behind me..
OK, thanks! It does seem like a lot of trouble to go through, but if it was in my local area I'd probably do it too. (I had a similar deal, with a lot fewer hoops to jump through, in a bank very close to me... but it only gives me 1.25%- on any amount though.)
Old May 19, 2012, 11:12 am

Recent Fidelity Bonus app situation - please advice

I read all the flyertalk threads on this topic and applied for UA 50k promotion. Didn't get any enrollment email from Fidelity (I only received an email saying I have opened an account with them). Now 10 days later, I have fully funded the account, STILL no email.
SHOULD I CALL FIDELITY????? Will I jeopardize stacking? I have no plans to recycle or withdraw. Please advice

Details,
Applied - 5/9, 20k
1st dep - 5/9, 20k (wouldn't let me do more, funds credited 5/11)
2nd dep - 5/12, 20k (wouldn't let me do more, credited 5/14)
3rd dep - 5/13, 25k (wouldn't let me do more, credited 5/15)
4th dep - 5/14, 25k (same, credited 5/16)
5th dep - 5/15, 10k (reached 100k on 5/17)
Applied for Apple promo - 5/18
Applied for Delta promo - 5/19
Old May 19, 2012, 12:13 pm

Originally Posted by napilimom
So far as we know, there has been no such thing as being "charged for miles". Yes, we are in new territory, but I'm not convinced that Fidelity will resort to this measure. We will find out soon.
What means do we have to handle this "charged for miles", albeit unlikely but you never know... Especially if they overcharge for the miles, how can this be negotiated or need be escalated?
Old May 20, 2012, 11:25 am

Programs: AA, Delta, Alaska, USAir, BA, Starwood, Continental, United
"charged for miles"

There have been reports that of 2011 tax year, Citibank sent 1099s to customers for miles received from opening checking accounts. They valued the miles for income tax purposes at a price higher than FTers value the miles. This has opened the concern that other entities (not credit cards) would institute the same policy.

Premiums for opening checking accounts have resulted in 1099s before. I got a 1099 for a GPS I received from Keybank. They valued it at a price higher than I would have paid for it. Even though it was less than $600, they sent a 1099 and it was treated like interest income for tax purposes.

Needless to say I don't open checking accounts for premiums any more.
Old May 20, 2012, 4:03 pm

1. Chill. Seriously. You hadn't even reached the first 25k threshhold to get miles until 5/12. nobody is seeing miles post until around 3 weeks on average. That said, if you aren't recycling, I don't think you can hurt anything by calling (see #3, you may want to in fact confirm what you want).

2. Hardly anyone is getting confirmation e-mails for signing up (or that miles are posting). You actually *don't* want an e-mail, because 99% of them are dings that come out several days later-- my crystal ball says you're likely to get 2 e-mails very, very soon denying you the Apple and Delta.

3. However, If you had read almost anything in the last month on this thread, you should have learned multiple offers within a year are dead. If you wanted United, you may have jeopardized them by signing up for one of the other offers which may override the United choice.

Originally Posted by tempts
I read all the flyertalk threads on this topic and applied for UA 50k promotion. Didn't get any enrollment email from Fidelity (I only received an email saying I have opened an account with them). Now 10 days later, I have fully funded the account, STILL no email.
SHOULD I CALL FIDELITY????? Will I jeopardize stacking? I have no plans to recycle or withdraw. Please advice

Details,
Applied - 5/9, 20k
1st dep - 5/9, 20k (wouldn't let me do more, funds credited 5/11)
2nd dep - 5/12, 20k (wouldn't let me do more, credited 5/14)
3rd dep - 5/13, 25k (wouldn't let me do more, credited 5/15)
4th dep - 5/14, 25k (same, credited 5/16)
5th dep - 5/15, 10k (reached 100k on 5/17)
Applied for Apple promo - 5/18
Applied for Delta promo - 5/19
Old May 20, 2012, 10:36 pm

Originally Posted by teammjs
1. Chill. Seriously. You hadn't even reached the first 25k threshhold to get miles until 5/12. nobody is seeing miles post until around 3 weeks on average. That said, if you aren't recycling, I don't think you can hurt anything by calling (see #3, you may want to in fact confirm what you want).

2. Hardly anyone is getting confirmation e-mails for signing up (or that miles are posting). You actually *don't* want an e-mail, because 99% of them are dings that come out several days later-- my crystal ball says you're likely to get 2 e-mails very, very soon denying you the Apple and Delta.

3. However, If you had read almost anything in the last month on this thread, you should have learned multiple offers within a year are dead. If you wanted United, you may have jeopardized them by signing up for one of the other offers which may override the United choice.
Thanks for advice. I'll hold off calling for now and see what happens.
I can wait for pts to post. Without any communication from fidelity, I am totally in the dark! May be that's why (sloppiness) people before this time were able to get douple/tripple. So far I am not impressed with the site or this promo clarity. Thanks to Flyertalk... I am learning a lot.
Old May 21, 2012, 8:10 am

Programs: PC Plat, HHonors Silver
Originally Posted by Bacc
There have been reports that of 2011 tax year, Citibank sent 1099s to customers for miles received from opening checking accounts. They valued the miles for income tax purposes at a price higher than FTers value the miles. This has opened the concern that other entities (not credit cards) would institute the same policy.

Premiums for opening checking accounts have resulted in 1099s before. I got a 1099 for a GPS I received from Keybank. They valued it at a price higher than I would have paid for it. Even though it was less than $600, they sent a 1099 and it was treated like interest income for tax purposes.

Needless to say I don't open checking accounts for premiums any more.
Banks have a lower limit than $600 for interest. I think it is $10/year.
Old May 21, 2012, 9:11 am

Originally Posted by tempts
Thanks for advice. I'll hold off calling for now and see what happens.
I can wait for pts to post. Without any communication from fidelity, I am totally in the dark! May be that's why (sloppiness) people before this time were able to get douple/tripple. So far I am not impressed with the site or this promo clarity. Thanks to Flyertalk... I am learning a lot.
Welcome to FT by the way!

I think you'll learn that "sloppy" companies are the reason a lot of these deals exist .

Even though you haven't churned, the other reason I wouldn't call is you might attract some undue attention from a sales rep just in case you decide you want to move some money out later.

I funded about a week earlier than you and haven't seen UA miles yet. Best strategy around here is seeing when people get miles and see if they funded before you. Then I would call if you seem to have been "skipped".

And yes, Fido seemed to fix their multi sign-ups around 4/1, and everyone sice then hasn't been able to do more than one.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.