Search
Old Nov 19, 2013, 6:07 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: TravelinSperry
All offers are expired/dead as of March 31, 2017

AA: https://scs.fidelity.com/other/offer...shtml?MSC=AA01

United: https://scs.fidelity.com/other/offer...shtml?MSC=UA01

Delta: https://scs.fidelity.com/other/offer...on_delta.shtml

Update as of May 21, 2014 - in recent weeks some people have reported being told that they are no longer eligible for this offer, in spite of meeting the previous terms and conditions. Some Fidelity representatives are saying that these offers are targeted. Note the bold words in the the terms and conditions below - "Other terms and conditions may apply."

The funds or securities must stay in the account for 9 months
The offer may be repeated every 365 days if the terms were met (rolling 12 months)
The funds may not already be in a Fidelity account, but must be sourced from elsewhere

If you are moving funds or securities out of Fidelity, with intent to move it back to claim this bonus, members have recommended to keep the funds/securities out for at least 3 months to avoid risk of losing eligibility for the deposit. Some have been told unofficially by advisers 30 days. YMMV.

Members who have pulled funds/deposits out within 9 months have reported they were allowed to keep the miles, but were banned for life from being able to repeat the offer.

Added September 26, 2016:

Any withdrawals from the account during the qualification period will count against the total deposited. This includes dividends upon you may dependent to live. So be sure to transfer assets whose value covers the minimum you need plus any you might withdraw during those 60 days.

It is strongly suggested you register for the offer you want by calling Fidelity's Promotion Department at (800)544-5315, as the online registration has been flaky in the past. Also, if you have high net worth, a "High Net Worth supervisor" may be able to help - simply call the Premium Services number on your account statement to find someone who has the power to do most anything. Get the name and phone number of the person you spoke with and ask him or her to note in your account that you have been approved, and by whom. Then, if after you transfer assets you get an email saying you are not eligible for the offer for which you registered (yes, this has happened), call the rep again, asking to read the notes on your account. You will probably be told that the email was automated and was sent in error and that they will hand babysit the funding and resultant miles.

If the registration page tells you are not eligible because you have had the offer before, call one of the above numbers. You are eligible after on year. That year probably starts counting when the miles are awarded, not when you register or when you add assets.

Trusts require extra caution on their part. Sometimes they require that you give them a lot of paperwork for trusts. If you have a local Fidelity office, just bring in everything required and they will copy and mail it for you. Easy. Otherwise, just mail it in. If upon trying to register online you are informed that your Revocable Living Trust account is not eligible, well, just call one of the above numbers, because it is eligible. They just have to verify a few things and then override the system. They want to know that you are the only trustee and the only beneficiary.

From the Terms and Conditions page:

Promotional Offer Rules:

This promotional offer is only available to new or existing Fidelity brokerage account customers opening or depositing net new assets into a joint or individual nonretirement Fidelity Account®. Net new assets are defined as an individual’s external new money in minus money out, including distributions and transfers.

This offer expires September 30, 2014, and is not transferable or valid in conjunction with any other Fidelity promotional offer. Fidelity Investments reserves the right to modify, change, or alter the terms and conditions of the promotional offer in its sole discretion at any time. Fidelity Investments may terminate this promotional offer at any time. Other terms and conditions may apply.

Promotional offers are limited to one per individual per rolling 12 months.
The promotion is not available for business accounts; trust accounts; mutual fund only accounts; retirement accounts, including, among others, Fidelity IRA, Roth IRA, SEP, and SIMPLE accounts; 401(k) and 403(b) workplace retirement plans; fiduciary accounts (including custodial accounts, estate accounts); 529 college savings plan accounts (i.e. college investment trust accounts); Fidelity accounts managed by Strategic Advisers, Inc. (for example, Portfolio Advisory Services); Institutional Wealth Services (IWS) clients; clients of registered investment advisors working with Fidelity Investments; annuities; and Stock Plan Services accounts. Offer is not valid for non-U.S. residents; persons affiliated with FINRA, a securities exchange or its members; employees of Fidelity, its affiliates, and members of their immediate families and households; or the media.

Certain states and local jurisdictions have laws that limit or restrict public employees from accepting items of value from vendors such as Fidelity that provide services to public institutions. Some public entities such as governments, state universities, health care organizations, etc., also have internal policies that may contain similar restrictions. If you are a public official or employee, you should determine if one of these laws or internal policies applies to you. By accepting this incentive, we assume that you are in compliance with your jurisdiction's laws and institution's internal policies.

Transferred assets will be valued, for the purposes of determining eligibility for this promotional offer, at the close of business Eastern time on the business day or next business day, if on a weekend day or holiday, following receipt by Fidelity Investments of the assets into the account that is eligible for the promotional offer. Funding must come from an external, non-Fidelity source via any standard monetary transfer method (a standard Transfer of Assets form, check, electronic funds transfer, ADM deposit, etc.). Please allow eight weeks from the funding of the eligible account, with the qualifying dollar amount of assets, for American Airlines AAdvantage® miles to be posted to your AAdvantage® account. Your Fidelity Account® must remain open with the qualifying funding for six months from the date that the qualifying assets are first received in the eligible account.

New accounts must be opened within 30 days of registering for the offer. Additional deposits to the eligible Fidelity account may earn you a higher mileage award provided the result is that the cumulative assets meet or exceed the next eligibility tier (up to a maximum of 50,000 AAdvantage® miles). For new accounts, initial and subsequent deposits must be made within 60 days of Fidelity account opening. For new money deposited into existing accounts, all deposits must be made within 60 days of registering for the offer.
Print Wikipost

Fidelity Bonus offers for airline miles & hotel points [EXPIRED March 31, 2017]

Search this Thread

Old Feb 23, 2015, 4:40 pm

Originally Posted by rover4618
I just got approved for this offer for the second time. Last withdrawal of monies over 3 months ago and last applied 15 months ago.

Had one stock worth about $10,000 about $13,000 in cash and another $10,000 divided between 3 different mutual funds.

Just put in the $100k for the United Miles

50K United Miles posted last week to my account
Old Feb 26, 2015, 9:32 am

Programs: Hyatt Glob; AA ExPlat; Hilton Diamond
How do you find out if you were approved? Signed up for the AA offer and just got an email afterwards saying my accounts have been opened without any mention of the promo. Is there usually a follow up email confirming the promotion?
Old Feb 28, 2015, 8:55 pm

Programs: SPG Gold, HHonors Gold, IHG Platinum, Marriott Silver
So I've read this thread on and off, what's the current general consensus if you put $100k in, then wait for miles to post, then take them out. What are odds they'll take them back. Also, any chance of every being able to do it again if you do that?
Old Feb 28, 2015, 9:53 pm

Originally Posted by sam007
folks - fidelity didn't allow me to add my chase bank info online even though everything was accurate. After the process was almost done, a pop-up showed me that I cannot do this online and got me to print a few forms and I have to get a medallion signature. Has anybody seen this before and how do I get one?

Thx
welcome to the world of dealing with company that is going downhill.
Its technology is getting outdated very rapidly and internal bureacracy to get anything fixed is mind boggling.

The entire proces is unnecessarily painful and UI is so horrible.

They can easily list out steps and conditions/requirement for setting up bank account in a single helful one pager upfront!!

They have alternates such a security code sent to your cell phone and you may find that bureacracy get s bit simpler if you drop wire transfer requirement and simply keep ACH
Old Mar 1, 2015, 12:50 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by yoshapman
So I've read this thread on and off, what's the current general consensus if you put $100k in, then wait for miles to post, then take them out. What are odds they'll take them back. Also, any chance of every being able to do it again if you do that?
there are some posts that mention "claw back" for early withdrawal. i put in the 100K(in pre owned stocks) a few years ago. got the mileage. pulled the stocks out after 15 months. put in 200K of stocks and got mileage for me and for my wife. pulled the stocks out after a couple years. will try again someday soon.
Old Mar 3, 2015, 3:52 pm

Got my 50k united points late last year. And now I just got off the phone with a rep dangling an exception to the wait time for repeating the deal. But he did make it clear that they expect me to be actively trading and not just holding the stocks. 30 trades/month was mentioned, but sounds like I can get away with a quarter of that. Might be useful for those of us who have enough volume to quality.
Old Mar 3, 2015, 5:05 pm

Programs: AA Exp, but not sure for how long. Enterprise Platinum woo-hoo!
I did the Fidelity promo last year, and the miles posted in intervals, the last on 2/28/14. I tried to register this year and it blocked me - until 3/1, when it let me sign up.

I then went to my Vanguard account and moved $100K worth of, ironically enough, a Fidelity mutual fund, to Fidelity.

Six months from now I'll pull my balance of this fund, which is now a bit over $200K, back from Fidelity to Vanguard. Then move it back in 2 annual $100K increments. Rinse and repeat.
Old Mar 8, 2015, 1:38 pm

Getting 2 account bonuses

I am coming into a bit of a windfall that would let us fund $200K in accounts. Tried searching this thread for some info on getting two 50K mile bonuses. Found these old posts:

Originally Posted by liw5215

just off the phone with Fidelity CS, and I am being told that you can double the mileage offer if you have a joint account with them, which means that you do not need one account for you, one account for your spouse. just ONE joint account, therefore, moving in $200,000 will get you 100K miles (50K X 2) in one single joint account.
Originally Posted by kayjay
I was told the exact opposite. Registered for myself and spouse in joint account. Spouse received rejection letter. The explanation was that offer only good for joint owner whose SS number appears first on account.
So now I am confused as to how to do this to get 2 bonuses. Do we open one joint account under my SSN and another joint under his SSN? Can you do that? Or do we have to open separate individual accounts? Would ideally like to get 50K AA miles in his account and 50K UA miles in mine.

We will actually have more money to invest, but am I correct in assuming that 50K miles each is the max we can earn now?

TIA for clarification.
Old Mar 8, 2015, 4:24 pm

Programs: UA/AA
My understanding is one bonus per account/SS number.
Consequently, you would need to fund two separate accounts with different SS numbers in order to receive the promotion twice. This way you can get the two brands of miles you want also.
Old Mar 9, 2015, 2:41 pm
IMH

Programs: BA Gold; Accor Plat; IHG Diamond-Amb; Meliá & HH & Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by themice
Tried searching this thread for some info on getting two 50K mile bonuses. [...] Do we open one joint account under my SSN and another joint under his SSN? [...]
I tried to answer a similar question last month, here.

My spouse and I have a joint account at Fidelity. I registered for a mileage offer and initiated a transfer into that account. After the miles had posted, my spouse registered for the Fidelity offer (using her SSN and AAdvantage number), initiated a further transfer into the same account, and received miles. This was in mid 2014.
Old Mar 18, 2015, 8:24 pm

Programs: Hyatt Glob; AA ExPlat; Hilton Diamond
Miles posted 2 weeks after funding
Old Mar 20, 2015, 11:03 am

Programs: AA LT Plat, 6.0 MM, Marriott LT Platinum
Originally Posted by IMH
I tried to answer a similar question last month, here.

My spouse and I have a joint account at Fidelity. I registered for a mileage offer and initiated a transfer into that account. After the miles had posted, my spouse registered for the Fidelity offer (using her SSN and AAdvantage number), initiated a further transfer into the same account, and received miles. This was in mid 2014.
I opened a new joint account for me and my wife last month, funded and got the miles to my account within three weeks . Two days ago I registered my wife for a new joint account and transferred the $100,000 yesterday; this morning the Fidelity on-line customer chat guy confirmed her AA account number and that she's all set-up to get 50,000 miles to her account.

Also, according to the current terms and conditions, we can repeat every 12 months. I put the money in no-fee 9-month FDIC insured CDs yielding .48%. As long as Fidelity continues to see no requirement to issue a 1099 on the miles, life is good.
Old Mar 20, 2015, 11:20 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Same $100,000?
Old Mar 20, 2015, 11:47 am

Programs: Belong to Many but No Longer Loyal to Any
Round one: I transferred assets in April 2013 and wife transferred in June 2013. Points awarded for both. No trading activity for either account after that.

Round two: February 2015 my wife and I were both getting the "you don't qualify" message. So I cleared all assets out of both accounts but left the accounts open. I just checked again today, and the offer is showing again for both of us.

I don't know if the activity triggered the change in eligibility or not...probably not.
Old Mar 20, 2015, 12:34 pm

Originally Posted by siankaan1
I opened a new joint account for me and my wife last month, funded and got the miles to my account within three weeks . Two days ago I registered my wife for a new joint account and transferred the $100,000 yesterday; this morning the Fidelity on-line customer chat guy confirmed her AA account number and that she's all set-up to get 50,000 miles to her account.
Thank you for this info as I am finally getting ready to do this next week . So, if I understand this correctly, this answers my question :
Originally Posted by themice
I Do we open one joint account under my SSN and another joint under his SSN?....
Would ideally like to get 50K AA miles in his account and 50K UA miles in mine.
So, just to spell it out (sorry, been a very long week here dealing with paperwork on mother's estate ), the correct steps are:
open 1st joint account under my SSN with UA number (UA offer good til 4/30/15), fund it, get miles posted, then open 2nd joint account under spouse's SSN with his AA account info (offer good til 9/30/15).

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.