Search
Old Nov 19, 2013, 6:07 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: TravelinSperry
All offers are expired/dead as of March 31, 2017

AA: https://scs.fidelity.com/other/offer...shtml?MSC=AA01

United: https://scs.fidelity.com/other/offer...shtml?MSC=UA01

Delta: https://scs.fidelity.com/other/offer...on_delta.shtml

Update as of May 21, 2014 - in recent weeks some people have reported being told that they are no longer eligible for this offer, in spite of meeting the previous terms and conditions. Some Fidelity representatives are saying that these offers are targeted. Note the bold words in the the terms and conditions below - "Other terms and conditions may apply."

The funds or securities must stay in the account for 9 months
The offer may be repeated every 365 days if the terms were met (rolling 12 months)
The funds may not already be in a Fidelity account, but must be sourced from elsewhere

If you are moving funds or securities out of Fidelity, with intent to move it back to claim this bonus, members have recommended to keep the funds/securities out for at least 3 months to avoid risk of losing eligibility for the deposit. Some have been told unofficially by advisers 30 days. YMMV.

Members who have pulled funds/deposits out within 9 months have reported they were allowed to keep the miles, but were banned for life from being able to repeat the offer.

Added September 26, 2016:

Any withdrawals from the account during the qualification period will count against the total deposited. This includes dividends upon you may dependent to live. So be sure to transfer assets whose value covers the minimum you need plus any you might withdraw during those 60 days.

It is strongly suggested you register for the offer you want by calling Fidelity's Promotion Department at (800)544-5315, as the online registration has been flaky in the past. Also, if you have high net worth, a "High Net Worth supervisor" may be able to help - simply call the Premium Services number on your account statement to find someone who has the power to do most anything. Get the name and phone number of the person you spoke with and ask him or her to note in your account that you have been approved, and by whom. Then, if after you transfer assets you get an email saying you are not eligible for the offer for which you registered (yes, this has happened), call the rep again, asking to read the notes on your account. You will probably be told that the email was automated and was sent in error and that they will hand babysit the funding and resultant miles.

If the registration page tells you are not eligible because you have had the offer before, call one of the above numbers. You are eligible after on year. That year probably starts counting when the miles are awarded, not when you register or when you add assets.

Trusts require extra caution on their part. Sometimes they require that you give them a lot of paperwork for trusts. If you have a local Fidelity office, just bring in everything required and they will copy and mail it for you. Easy. Otherwise, just mail it in. If upon trying to register online you are informed that your Revocable Living Trust account is not eligible, well, just call one of the above numbers, because it is eligible. They just have to verify a few things and then override the system. They want to know that you are the only trustee and the only beneficiary.

From the Terms and Conditions page:

Promotional Offer Rules:

This promotional offer is only available to new or existing Fidelity brokerage account customers opening or depositing net new assets into a joint or individual nonretirement Fidelity Account®. Net new assets are defined as an individual’s external new money in minus money out, including distributions and transfers.

This offer expires September 30, 2014, and is not transferable or valid in conjunction with any other Fidelity promotional offer. Fidelity Investments reserves the right to modify, change, or alter the terms and conditions of the promotional offer in its sole discretion at any time. Fidelity Investments may terminate this promotional offer at any time. Other terms and conditions may apply.

Promotional offers are limited to one per individual per rolling 12 months.
The promotion is not available for business accounts; trust accounts; mutual fund only accounts; retirement accounts, including, among others, Fidelity IRA, Roth IRA, SEP, and SIMPLE accounts; 401(k) and 403(b) workplace retirement plans; fiduciary accounts (including custodial accounts, estate accounts); 529 college savings plan accounts (i.e. college investment trust accounts); Fidelity accounts managed by Strategic Advisers, Inc. (for example, Portfolio Advisory Services); Institutional Wealth Services (IWS) clients; clients of registered investment advisors working with Fidelity Investments; annuities; and Stock Plan Services accounts. Offer is not valid for non-U.S. residents; persons affiliated with FINRA, a securities exchange or its members; employees of Fidelity, its affiliates, and members of their immediate families and households; or the media.

Certain states and local jurisdictions have laws that limit or restrict public employees from accepting items of value from vendors such as Fidelity that provide services to public institutions. Some public entities such as governments, state universities, health care organizations, etc., also have internal policies that may contain similar restrictions. If you are a public official or employee, you should determine if one of these laws or internal policies applies to you. By accepting this incentive, we assume that you are in compliance with your jurisdiction's laws and institution's internal policies.

Transferred assets will be valued, for the purposes of determining eligibility for this promotional offer, at the close of business Eastern time on the business day or next business day, if on a weekend day or holiday, following receipt by Fidelity Investments of the assets into the account that is eligible for the promotional offer. Funding must come from an external, non-Fidelity source via any standard monetary transfer method (a standard Transfer of Assets form, check, electronic funds transfer, ADM deposit, etc.). Please allow eight weeks from the funding of the eligible account, with the qualifying dollar amount of assets, for American Airlines AAdvantage® miles to be posted to your AAdvantage® account. Your Fidelity Account® must remain open with the qualifying funding for six months from the date that the qualifying assets are first received in the eligible account.

New accounts must be opened within 30 days of registering for the offer. Additional deposits to the eligible Fidelity account may earn you a higher mileage award provided the result is that the cumulative assets meet or exceed the next eligibility tier (up to a maximum of 50,000 AAdvantage® miles). For new accounts, initial and subsequent deposits must be made within 60 days of Fidelity account opening. For new money deposited into existing accounts, all deposits must be made within 60 days of registering for the offer.
Print Wikipost

Fidelity Bonus offers for airline miles & hotel points [EXPIRED March 31, 2017]

Search this Thread

Old Feb 19, 2014, 5:45 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Originally Posted by onthego15
The deadline on the Delta offer has been extended to April 10, 2014 (deadline had been Feb. 14, 2014).
My memory from the past is that when the deadline was extended it was extended for a year or so. This time the deadline was extended only two months. Perhaps Fidelity is running out of Delta miles? (just speculation on my part)
Considering those are likely to be the cheapest that Fidelity buys, I doubt it. More likely it's just a contract issue between Fidelity and Delta.
Old Feb 19, 2014, 5:49 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Interesting how they want a $300K deposit for a $500 Apple Gift Card. Considering there is unlikely to be more than a token discount on that from Apple to Fidelity, it makes me question if they're even paying a penny per mile to United/AA/Delta.
Old Feb 25, 2014, 8:52 am
Suspended

Programs: Many
Question about the Fidelity $100k for 50k points

So, in Nov. '12, I put a bunch of money in a Fidelity account and trigged the bonus for 50k UA miles. The money hasn't left the account since. Yesterday, I wired $100k out of my Fidelity and into another account (although there is still a bunch of $ in that Fidelity account). If I re-register for the AA promotion instead of the UA one and put that $100k back into my Fidelity, will I get the AA bonus since it is more than a year since I triggered the UA bonus? Does it matter that I transferred only $100k out and left money in my Fidelity account? Is there an amount of time I need to keep the money out of my Fidelity account before redepositing in order to trigger the bonus? Thanks!
Old Feb 26, 2014, 7:17 pm

I opened a Fidelity account in Jan-2012 and deposited money in increments. The miles posted to my AA account, also in increments. I did not read the T&C's and withdrew the money after only 1 month....of course I was supposed to leave it in there for 6 months. Fidelity took 35,000(out of 50,000) miles back. I opened an account a year later and called a month after I had made a $100,000 deposit, the representative, after a long-a@s hold, told me that I was BANNED FOR LIFE.

Fidelity
Old Feb 26, 2014, 7:22 pm
Suspended

Any info on my question? I left 100k+ in my fidelity for over a year. Just recently took 100k out. Can I immediately put it back in now and trigger a new bonus?
Old Feb 26, 2014, 7:32 pm

Programs: Life, Love and Laughter
Originally Posted by GetSetJetSet
Any info on my question? I left 100k+ in my fidelity for over a year. Just recently took 100k out. Can I immediately put it back in now and trigger a new bonus?
Your question about how long to wait has come up a few times in recent months. I'm not sure if there is any consensus, but if you read back on the thread for a few pages you will find some perspectives on your question.
Old Feb 26, 2014, 8:22 pm

Its been over 18 months since I took the last Fido offer, and I had been in a bad position to take advantage of this every year offer having the mother load of my cash and assets in Fido accounts.

I recently decided to move about $250K of funds into a Merrill Edge account, to take advantage of the $600 bonus for opening a new account, adding at least $200K, and keeping it there for 3 months. I went a little over because I didn't want to appear like a minimum bonus whore to Merrill Edge, while transferring assets and having assets in multiple accounts can be a PITA. The $600 bonus comes with a 1099, so figure out what that is really worth to you, but I know I can get a lot more value out of the 50K miles without a 1099 (and I probably wouldn't waste the time on this if I didn't want to circulate back into Fido to get the miles.)

However, I will say the Merrill Edge transfer advisers are extremely friendly (you can't avoid these folks) and they aren't very aggressive like other salespeople, but they are happy to talk about advantages Merrill Edge offers over Fido (Fido enjoys a huge customer loyalty base, and these guys want to take their business.) So I intend to be fair and learn as much as I can from Merrill Edge, and 3 months later move just $100K back to Fido to get my 50K miles, and I will be in position to claim another 50K miles in 2015. But I am absolutely going to be open to considering an alternative to having everything in Fido, to be as fair as I can to Merrill Edge with this promotion.

Now a question I have for this group is I am considering the CITI offer of 30K miles for opening a CitiGold checking account. To avoid huge monthly fees on this account, I would need either 50K cash (a terrible waste) or 100K assets (which I could do) and it appears I would only need to keep it there 3 months. I am obviously interested in keeping a good banking relationship with Citibank. Does anyone in this forum have CitiGold checking a part of their "portfolio"?

Thanks,
Old Feb 26, 2014, 9:31 pm

I talked to the Fidelity reps recently.
1. One qualifies for ONE miles or cash (not both) offer in a rolling 12 month period for NEW deposits per SSN. So if you used an offer 12 months ago, then you are eligible for a new one.
2. Regarding moving funds out and back right away - I think this has been discussed in this thread, but i assume Fidelity fixed this loop hole.
Old Feb 26, 2014, 9:49 pm

Call Fidelity and ask them how long you have to wait after withdrawing the money.
Old Feb 26, 2014, 9:56 pm

Programs: UA 1K MM, Hilton Diamond, SPG lifetime platinum
I believe they look back three months so any withdrawals during that time would not qualify. In other words you would need to keep the cash outside of fidelity for three months and then redeposit.
Old Feb 27, 2014, 10:47 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by entrada
I believe they look back three months so any withdrawals during that time would not qualify. In other words you would need to keep the cash outside of fidelity for three months and then redeposit.
Ok, can anyone confirm this? I have no problem waiting three months to put it back in, just want to make sure I get my 50k.
Old Feb 27, 2014, 1:50 pm

Hi everyone, just a question, i took advantage of the AA offer in Dec 2012, withdrew the money in Dec 2013, today i tried to sign up for another offer and when i logged in to my fidelity account it says "Unable to sign up for the United MileagePlus® Offer You are not eligible to sign up for this Offer due to the reason(s) listed below:
You currently do not have any eligible accounts for this offer.
If you want, you can sign up for this offer by opening a new eligible account."

so do you guys just sign up for a new account to get another offer?
thx in advance
Old Feb 27, 2014, 2:50 pm

Programs: Hyatt Glb, MR Plat
Are we allowed to withdraw any profits made on the account without breaking the 6-9 month rule?
Old Feb 27, 2014, 2:54 pm

Programs: Life, Love and Laughter
Originally Posted by frudd38
Are we allowed to withdraw any profits made on the account without breaking the 6-9 month rule?
You can make a withdrawal as long as your account stays above the minimum required for your particular deal.
Old Feb 27, 2014, 3:00 pm

Programs: Hyatt Glb, MR Plat
Originally Posted by onthego15
You can make a withdrawal as long as your account stays above the minimum required for your particular deal.
I'm assuming if we're actively trading and go below the threshold later on, it's still fine even though I made withdrawals while ahead?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.