Search

50% bonus for converting your hotel points to U.S. Airways miles

Search this Thread

Old Mar 30, 2012, 11:46 am

Originally Posted by fly in paradies
28. MRZ us airways account was opened
31. MRZ spg sends out points
01. April SUNDAY
09. April (following Monday for processing) - 12 days are over.

US air will process the spg miles?

confused
fip
I'm not really sure if that user was correct. I haven't seen anything in the T&C that requires US Airways accounts being opened for a certain amount of time.
Old Mar 30, 2012, 12:45 pm

Programs: AX, LH, DL, SPG etc.
last minute actions...

Thanks for all answers.

US Airways confirmed:
Account is open within minutes.
Transfer from spg can start (I did).

ONLY spg is not guaranteeing fast transfer (and even can not rush up the transfer). "could take 14 days. Reality seams to be faster...

The the transfer including the two bonuses should in the us airways account on time...

Good weekend!
fip
Old Mar 30, 2012, 10:01 pm

Programs: Hy Glob,Choice Dia, MR TIT,IHG SPR,HH Dia, Wyn Dia, UA Sil, WN Alis, Hert 5*, National EE
Is it to late for the Marriott tp? It appears online that it can be done through reservations but then requires some sort of follow up either online or over phone. Can anyone confirm that if I do tomorrow I will be ok? I think the rewards line is closed Saturday if memory serves correct.
Old Mar 31, 2012, 11:56 am

Programs: AA:LT Platinum DL:LT Gold UA:1P MAR:LT Titanium
Originally Posted by stallion114
Is it to late for the Marriott tp? It appears online that it can be done through reservations but then requires some sort of follow up either online or over phone. Can anyone confirm that if I do tomorrow I will be ok? I think the rewards line is closed Saturday if memory serves correct.
You'd *have* to initiate the transfer today (so March 31st shows as the transaction date), however, it would be okay if the miles didn't post to US until next week. As long as they showed up by April 10th, you'd be golden. The issue would be, as you said, getting the transaction processed today and being sure the miles will post within 10 days. In the past, I've had my miles post quickly. I don't know if you can get a rep to do the transaction today or not... call and see. Will be curious what you do. Good luck if you go for it!
Old Mar 31, 2012, 1:01 pm

Programs: Alaska MVPG 100K, IHG Ambassador, Hilton Diamond, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Titanium
Originally Posted by mooper
You'd *have* to initiate the transfer today (so March 31st shows as the transaction date), however, it would be okay if the miles didn't post to US until next week. As long as they showed up by April 10th, you'd be golden. The issue would be, as you said, getting the transaction processed today and being sure the miles will post within 10 days. In the past, I've had my miles post quickly. I don't know if you can get a rep to do the transaction today or not... call and see. Will be curious what you do. Good luck if you go for it!
If you can get a rep to initiate the transaction today, I think you should be fine. I redeemed a TP on 3/21. The miles were posted to my US account on 3/22. So the transfer was instant.
Old Mar 31, 2012, 1:08 pm

Originally Posted by mooper
I am confused. What does, "The issue would be, as you said, getting the transaction processed today and being sure the miles will post within 10 days" mean?

I am still considering doing this today but am concerned that I won't be able to get the Lufthansa flights that are still available now in a week or two.

If I understand correctly, if I redeem tonight, the Amex points should transfer to SPG right away and then I can request a transfer SPG to US before midnight. Although the SPG to US posting usually happens on Monday, it might not happen until the following Monday.

Has anyone asked US or read how long after the regular miles post should the bonus miles post? What is the 10 day reference that I saw here and in earlier threads? Thanks!
Old Mar 31, 2012, 1:20 pm

Originally Posted by fanoftravel
I am confused. What does, "The issue would be, as you said, getting the transaction processed today and being sure the miles will post within 10 days" mean?

I am still considering doing this today but am concerned that I won't be able to get the Lufthansa flights that are still available now in a week or two.

If I understand correctly, if I redeem tonight, the Amex points should transfer to SPG right away and then I can request a transfer SPG to US before midnight. Although the SPG to US posting usually happens on Monday, it might not happen until the following Monday.

Has anyone asked US or read how long after the regular miles post should the bonus miles post? What is the 10 day reference that I saw here and in earlier threads? Thanks!
The rules of the US promo require that the transaction date - the date the hotel processes your transfer request - to be *before* April (i.e., sometime today). It specifies what amounts to a grace period for the points to actually post to your US account... they have to be there by April 10th. If you request today, they'd most likely post on Monday April 8th, so you'd be fine. There's inherent risk, however, as they don't guarantee they will post that quickly. If you can withstand the risk that you won't get the bonus, go for it. The only guarantee you have is others' relaying their experience.
Old Apr 1, 2012, 9:16 am

Programs: Hy Glob,Choice Dia, MR TIT,IHG SPR,HH Dia, Wyn Dia, UA Sil, WN Alis, Hert 5*, National EE
CLT we have a problem

Made the Marriott transfer last night and had the rep just deposit a 7 night award cert in my account and transfer the 120k to us air. I explained that the activity date had to be 3/31 and she said it was not a problem.
I received a confirmation email a little
After and it showed award redemption date of 4/1!

I'm scared and pissed. Tried calling Marriott back and they said that rewards was closed until Monday at 815am.

Any advice would be appreciated. I am hopeful that if the miles show as 4/1 Marriott can contact us air and correct the activity date.
I spoke to the agent in detail about the reason I was transferring to us and the importance of the correct date.
Old Apr 1, 2012, 10:05 am

Made the Marriott transfer last night and had the rep just deposit a 7 night award cert in my account and transfer the 120k to us air. I explained that the activity date had to be 3/31 and she said it was not a problem.

I'm scared and pissed. Tried calling Marriott back and they said that rewards was closed until Monday at 815am.

Any advice would be appreciated. I am hopeful that if the miles show as 4/1 Marriott can contact us air and correct the activity date.
I spoke to the agent in detail about the reason I was transferring to us and the importance of the correct date.
While the agent shouldn't have promised something that wasn't true (if indeed that's what happened), are you sure it was actually 03/31/2012 according to the time zone Marriott uses to calculate the transaction date? I don't know what time zone they use, but if for example you made the request at 10PM PDT and they use EDT as their basis, then as far as they were concerned, it was an April transaction (again, the agent should have recognized this if it was the case).

The date showing in the email isn't a good sign, but isn't necessarily dooming either. Do you mean the date stamp of the email per se was 4/1, or that the transaction was noted as 4/1 in the *body* (text witten within) the email?

In the end, as you made the request on 3/31 in your local time, I suspect you'd be able to get them to adjust and correct in the end if that's needed, but it could take some serious effort to make it happen. Hopefully it goes smoothly... I wouldn't advise doing much more than documenting everything and waiting a couple weeks first, because for all you know, USAir might just choose to ignore the transaction date even if it shows as 4/1 and post the bonus to anything that posts by 4/10 just the same.
Old Apr 1, 2012, 10:34 am

Thanks mopper. I made the call at 1030 central. Marriott had told me earlier in the day that they close the rewards line at 11pm central.
The email I received with April 1 transaction date was received at 11:12 central.
I am hoping that maybe she put the miles transfer date as 3/31 anyway because before I hung up with her I had her verify that again and thanked her for the help.

You might be right on the grace period with a later activity date, but us does goes by strict activity dates for the grand slam. (although I believe I remember people getting companies to revise the activity date after the fact)

Im thinking about following up with marriott Monday morning, explaining the situation and see if they can adjust it now.
Worst case I will fight it out with us air. Very frustrating to say the least. I have been contemplating this transfer ever since the bonus was announced and finally pulled the trigger. (other option was wn companion pass).

I appreciate the positive outlook.
Old Apr 1, 2012, 10:46 am

Thanks mopper. I made the call at 1030 central. Marriott had told me earlier in the day that they close the rewards line at 11pm central.
The email I received with April 1 transaction date was received at 11:12 central.
I am hoping that maybe she put the miles transfer date as 3/31 anyway because before I hung up with her I had her verify that again and thanked her for the help.
To me, this indicates they are keying off EDT. 11:12PM central would have been April EDT, so it could be that your transaction wasn't actually entered until April according to the system - even if the agent had good intentions. You sure were cutting it close!

I still think you should wait before spending the time and stress of following up. Unless you are in a rush for the points, waiting a couple weeks to see if it just posts on its own won't decrease your odds of getting it to work, but might save you a big hassle.

Let us know how it goes, and good luck!
Old Apr 2, 2012, 7:49 am

I am in a similar situation. I called SPG about 9PM Mountain Time, informed him of the situation with US Airways transaction posting requirement, and he told me the miles post according to the time zone of the account holder. So I transferred mine at 9:45 PM MST and transferred my wife's at 10:15 MST. My transaction listed March 31, but my wife's posted April 1st.

This means that SPG uses Eastern Time to post their transactions (not the local time of the user as I was told). I called SPG and they can't back date it. They also said they can't cancel the transaction because US Airways has already taken the miles.

I can't really bear to wait 2 weeks and see what happens, so I'm afraid I'll have to call US Airways and see if they can either guarantee me the bonus, or cancel the transaction.
Old Apr 2, 2012, 10:09 am

Originally Posted by markgrammer
I can't really bear to wait 2 weeks and see what happens, so I'm afraid I'll have to call US Airways and see if they can either guarantee me the bonus, or cancel the transaction.
It is understandable they can't cancel or change the date, and I suspect you won't have luck asking USAir to do it either. However, I think that if you can muster up the patience, you'll find that the bonus posts because of the 04/10 deadline and perhaps some grace or even bad programming on the US side. If not, then just call USAir, explain your situation, and hope they'll manually apply the bonus.
Old Apr 2, 2012, 2:44 pm

Miles just posted without the 50% bonus. Anyone else had their 50% bonus correctly showed up?

3/30/2012 04/02/12 CONVERSION: SPG POINTS TO MILES 50,000
Old Apr 2, 2012, 2:50 pm

Programs: HHonors Gold, National Exec, Marriott Silver
Originally Posted by bradcc
Anyone else had their 50% bonus correctly showed up?
Nope, my 3/13 activity posted on 3/21. I'm not worried, though, as the T&Cs say it'll take 6 to 8 weeks. I'm guessing they're waiting for the promotion to end on 4/10 before posting any points.

FWIW, though, I do check this thread every now and again to see if anyone has had their points post so I can rush to my account and fret over why mine haven't posted...

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.