Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > MilesBuzz
Reload this Page >

Star Alliance FF Program

Star Alliance FF Program

Reply

Old Mar 10, 12, 3:48 pm
  #1  
Original Poster
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Australia
Programs: QF, Qantas Club
Posts: 8
Star Alliance FF Program

Hi everyone,
I know that there have been previous threads on this, but these are usually by people flying a lot of J and F class. Unfortuantely, this is not me, I'm usually stuck in Y.
I'm looking for a star alliance ff program as an alternative to my Qants FF. I'm looking for one that gives a good amount of points earned in discount economy and also has cheap award flights. I do not care at all about status, as I will be mainly flying QF.
Thanks for your help,
Simon
sjpatrick is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Mar 10, 12, 4:32 pm
  #2  
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: ADL
Posts: 5,297
If you're flying mostly QF, then a *A program will be no good to you. What about American, which an credit miles from QF but has an infinitely better award chart?
belfordrocks is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Mar 11, 12, 1:04 am
  #3  
Original Poster
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Australia
Programs: QF, Qantas Club
Posts: 8
Originally Posted by belfordrocks View Post
If you're flying mostly QF, then a *A program will be no good to you. What about American, which an credit miles from QF but has an infinitely better award chart?
Ok, thanks I'll check that out. I am looking for a *A program as an alternative to Qantas. I am looking to try out SQ and also LH in the future and am just trying to find the best program to try when I start to do this.
Thanks again,
Simon
sjpatrick is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Mar 11, 12, 1:17 am
  #4  
 
Join Date: May 2004
Location: Home
Programs: AA, Delta, UA & thanks to FTers for my PC Gold!
Posts: 7,632
Originally Posted by sjpatrick View Post
I'm looking for a star alliance ff program as an alternative to my Qants FF...
Originally Posted by sjpatrick View Post
I am looking for a *A program as an alternative to Qantas. I am looking to try out SQ and also LH in the future and am just trying to find the best program to try when I start to do this.
Maybe you should take a look at the sticky threads over Global Airline Alliances so you may make a more informed decision?

OneWorld Forum: http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/onewo...help-here.html

Star Alliance: http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/star-...post-here.html

SkyTeam: http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/skyte...ful-links.html

Welcome to FT!
lin821 is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Mar 11, 12, 5:58 am
  #5  
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: Melbourne, Australia
Programs: AAdvantage, SPG
Posts: 111
G'day,

I read something recently that Aegean Airlines is the best FF program to join for *A. I am with Oneworld so I didn't pay that much attention, if you dig around you should be able to find some more info.

I think it was regarding quickest way to get status, so for someone like you (and me) who is stuck in Y, I think it is the best.

By the way, I joined up with Delta for the one time I flew *A on Korean air, because their miles don't expire.
zan5hin is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Mar 11, 12, 9:28 am
  #6  
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: Alabama
Programs: Not care as much as before...
Posts: 327
Originally Posted by zan5hin View Post
G'day,

I read something recently that Aegean Airlines is the best FF program to join for *A. I am with Oneworld so I didn't pay that much attention, if you dig around you should be able to find some more info.

I think it was regarding quickest way to get status, so for someone like you (and me) who is stuck in Y, I think it is the best.

By the way, I joined up with Delta for the one time I flew *A on Korean air, because their miles don't expire.
Probably also Asiana. For gold, 40k within 2 years and Aegean requires 20k within 1 year.
ssoonngg123 is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Mar 11, 12, 11:39 am
  #7  
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: IAD
Programs: UA 1K + 1MM; HHonors Gold; Marriott Gold
Posts: 719
Originally Posted by ssoonngg123 View Post
Probably also Asiana. For gold, 40k within 2 years and Aegean requires 20k within 1 year.
Asiana and Aegean are great for earning *G. The important thing to note when picking any FF program is:
- their burn rates (not good for some sectors)
- mileage expiry policies (if you do not burn miles regularly, make sure you check what their expiration policy is.)

You may also want to read:
http://boardingarea.com/blogs/unroad...the-right-one/
http://boardingarea.com/blogs/unroad...y-hubs-matter/
sharmaintl is offline  
Reply With Quote

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off


Thread Tools
Search this Thread