Help with award flights to Australia

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Help with award flights to Australia

Search this Thread

Old Feb 11, 2012, 11:07 pm
Original Poster

Thanks to all who answered. I see award availability on V Australia from December 24th until January 5th. The outbound flight says its 80k on the V Australia website so I'm not sure if it will be considered a low or medium price. There seems to be an outbound flight available via 1 stop in Brisbane. How many skymiles should this flight cost me? Also, is it possible to fly Delta one way, and V Australia the other, or will that cost me double the price?
Old Feb 12, 2012, 4:40 am

All partner awards on DL are low awards. The number indicated on VA's website are for booking with Velocity miles for their own members, all VA flights from US to Aus price out at 150K pp round trip in J
Old Feb 12, 2012, 10:44 am
Original Poster

Turns out the return flights are no longer available... Is it possible to fly V Australia one way and Delta the other?
Old Feb 12, 2012, 6:07 pm

Yes- provided there is Low award space on Delta. When you try to combine partner low awards with DL metal mid/high awards it starts pricing out funny.
Old Feb 12, 2012, 6:48 pm

Just keep calling. Book a portion of it and keep getting it on hold if you want to secure it. You can technically only get it on hold for 24 hours, but any change extends the hold.

Why not try China Southern or China Eastern? If you're already flying VA then you'll be paying pretty much the same thing in fuel surcharges.
Old Feb 12, 2012, 8:12 pm

MU is great is you're flying to the east coast as it takes you nonstop to Kennedy- anyone who is familiar with using DL miles would know that the domestic positioning legs on Delta, especially transcon are tough to find low space in, so it would work well for that.

You can also fly CZ or CI if you're going to the east coast, as well as KE which flies to LAX/SFO/SEA/LAS/DFW/ORD/ATL/IAD/JFK/YVR/YYZ.
Old Feb 13, 2012, 5:00 am

Originally Posted by belfordrocks
MU is great is you're flying to the east coast as it takes you nonstop to Kennedy- anyone who is familiar with using DL miles would know that the domestic positioning legs on Delta, especially transcon are tough to find low space in, so it would work well for that.

You can also fly CZ or CI if you're going to the east coast, as well as KE which flies to LAX/SFO/SEA/LAS/DFW/ORD/ATL/IAD/JFK/YVR/YYZ.
KE is out if I remember the blackout dates for 2012 correctly. It's a bummer because no fuel surcharges sure is nice!
Old Feb 13, 2012, 5:29 am

MU does LAX/YVR/JFK, CI does JFK via KIX/LAX as does MH (onestop) and CZ (nonstop)
Old Feb 13, 2012, 6:02 am

Originally Posted by belfordrocks
MU does LAX/YVR/JFK, CI does JFK via KIX/LAX as does MH (onestop) and CZ (nonstop)
Correct, but I think we might be a bit off topic unless I have missed something. Isn't the OP looking for flights from LAX? Why are we focused on east coast now?
Old Feb 13, 2012, 6:30 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by llamagatekeeper
Correct, but I think we might be a bit off topic unless I have missed something. Isn't the OP looking for flights from LAX? Why are we focused on east coast now?
My final destination is JFK, but I found some good saver award space with AA from Lax to JFK do I didn't mention it in my post.
Old Feb 13, 2012, 6:45 am

Originally Posted by dshargorodsky
My final destination is JFK, but I found some good saver award space with AA from Lax to JFK do I didn't mention it in my post.
Apologies to belfordrocks then!

Why would you want to switch carriers unless absolutely necessary? I would try and get everything on DL/Partner flights as to keep the total flight cost as low as possible. Only use the AA saver miles as a last resort.
Old Feb 13, 2012, 2:06 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by llamagatekeeper
Apologies to belfordrocks then!

Why would you want to switch carriers unless absolutely necessary? I would try and get everything on DL/Partner flights as to keep the total flight cost as low as possible. Only use the AA saver miles as a last resort.
Delta doesn't have a low/medium nonstop from LAX to JFK on the return which is why I was unsure if its worth it.
Old Feb 13, 2012, 2:09 pm
Original Poster

How much would it cost to fly V australia one way, and delta the other if the delta leg is considered medium price?
Old Feb 13, 2012, 2:26 pm

Originally Posted by dshargorodsky
How much would it cost to fly V australia one way, and delta the other if the delta leg is considered medium price?
It will all price at the medium price. Even if you have a domestic leg at medium and the rest all in low the whole ticket will get bumped up. It's pretty annoying to say the least.
Old Feb 17, 2012, 3:55 pm
Original Poster

How do Delta and V Australia compare in terms of business class? I think that I will be flying on of these airlines on the outbound, but I can't decide which. I think it might be worth it to fly United First on the return.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.