Community
Wiki Posts
Search

First Award Ticket Tips

Search this Thread

Old Jan 15, 2012, 8:15 pm

Programs: AA EXP (2.5MM), Hilton Gold, Marriott Titanium
Originally Posted by amolkold
I think your best bet is AA - 62.5K miles for one-way Biz, North America -> Australia. You could do something like BOS-LAX on AA, then LAX-SYD on Qantas. However, you would have to look early. Since you have 30K miles, a 50K credit card offer would do the trick.

UA costs 67.5K miles, and you may be able to route via Asia. Air New Zealand can also work.

*Edited no-coffee typos.
Added emphasis here. Finding a Biz or First award on Qantas with AA mile is extremely difficult. You will not only have to book very early, you will also need to be flexible on your dates. Actually, if you have enough miles, you may have better luck going USA-Hong Kong-Sydney. It costs more miles, but is a bit easiesr tha USA-Australia.
Old Jan 16, 2012, 10:16 pm

Programs: UA
Originally Posted by mikelat
Added emphasis here. Finding a Biz or First award on Qantas with AA mile is extremely difficult. You will not only have to book very early, you will also need to be flexible on your dates. Actually, if you have enough miles, you may have better luck going USA-Hong Kong-Sydney. It costs more miles, but is a bit easiesr tha USA-Australia.
Agree. I have spent the past month trying to put together a trip on Qantas, JFK-SYD. Fortunately I eventually got first there (on the 388 to boot) and biz back (via Auckland) - but finding this was a slow and exhausting process. I got the feeling half the reps I spoke with didn't even look. There were some first options in Cathay to Hong Kong but only coach from HKG to SYD. That was also something like 110k miles each way versus 72.5. But Cathay might be worth it...

Good luck. Check early and often.
Old Jan 16, 2012, 10:25 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by levy
Delta is a huge rip off to Australia charging a rediculous amount of miles.

They do "one way" but usually charge for a one way the same as a round trip, so you gain absolutely nothing by purchasing a one way
That is why I said DL is a r/t system - meaning their pricing is a r/t pricing regardless whether you fly r/t or one-way, the price is a r/t price.

I believe UA is a hybrid - some partner awards are still r/t pricing? while UA's own metal is one-way pricing.

NZ does not have F class if I recall it correctly.

NZ business class seats are very good. Our first business class award was a UA award to Australia / NZ on NZ, back in 2007 on the last days of the 90K miles chart.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.