Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > MilesBuzz
Reload this Page >

Why or Will Airline Companies Devalue Miles?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Dec 12, 2011, 7:56 pm
Original Poster

Has anyone think about why airline companies have the pressure to devalue miles?

I guess it mainly depends on the $$$ airlines get from "selling" a mile, i.e., the $$$ customers need to spend to earn a mile.

For a customer, miles could be earned from two sources.
(1) From flying.
The cost is rising, as the price of ticket rises.
(2) From non-flying, such as credit cards signup and spending bonus.
The cost is doping, due to much better sign up and spending bonus.

The airline company will have the pressure to devalue the miles, if (2) takes a significant amount of the total miles they sold.

Well, due to fuel price rising, airlines net profit per mile from (1) could be actually dropping, which again will cause the devaluation of miles.
Old Dec 12, 2011, 8:51 pm

Programs: Whatever's Cheapest, Accruing Miles, Redeeming for Premium Cabins, Not Chasing Status Unnecessarily
Originally Posted by milaohu
Has anyone think about why airline companies have the pressure to devalue miles?

I guess it mainly depends on the $$$ airlines get from "selling" a mile, i.e., the $$$ customers need to spend to earn a mile.

For a customer, miles could be earned from two sources.
(1) From flying.
The cost is rising, as the price of ticket rises.
(2) From non-flying, such as credit cards signup and spending bonus.
The cost is doping, due to much better sign up and spending bonus.

The airline company will have the pressure to devalue the miles, if (2) takes a significant amount of the total miles they sold.

Well, due to fuel price rising, airlines net profit per mile from (1) could be actually dropping, which again will cause the devaluation of miles.
yes

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.