Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > MilesBuzz
Reload this Page >

Which frequent flyer programme should I join?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Nov 18, 2011, 4:30 pm
Original Poster

Hi

I apologise for the generalised and simplistic nature of my question but here is my situation if anyone can help me decide:

1. I have over 80,000 AMEX Reward points which I am considering switching to a frequent flyer programme.

2. I am soon flying J with BA to Buenos Aires rtn and thus will qualify for a Bronze level ExecClub card.

3. I will be flying a minimum of 2 long-haul Business Class flights per annum, probably more, east and west out of London.

4. I have no airline preference other than seeking the best quality for the money/points.

Any ideas gratefully accepted.
Old Nov 18, 2011, 4:53 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Lifetime Gold
Wirelessly posted (BlackBerry8530/5.0.0.601 Profile/MIDP-2.1 Configuration/CLDC-1.1 VendorID/417)

I think a lot depends on your intended use of the miles you accumulate. Where do you want to go with them, from where, and in what class of service?

Even if you expect to primarily fly BA on your paid travel, you might be better off crediting the miles you earn on those flights to a BA partner carrier, like AA.
Old Nov 18, 2011, 10:52 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AA Gold 1MM, AS MVP, UA Silver, WN A-List, Marriott LT Titanium, HH Diamond
I think your first order of business is to do what a lot of people are doing right now: trying to digest the entire "Avios" award chart that BA has rolled out.

Depending on what your desired award goals are, you will range anywhere from loving to hating the new system.

My hunch is that out of London you're going to stick with BA. Airlines always treat their own elites better than alliance elites. Sometimes it's overt - they design their websites so that "native" elites have an easier time seeing preferred seats, upgrade availability, etc. Sometimes it's just the softer elements like service at the airport, potential for operational upgrades, etc. I've had a few situations over the years where I was Star Alliance Gold but the partner airline I was on that day didn't automatically see me as a Gold. (I literally carried the little plastic card to prove it to lounge agents on occasion!! )

BA is advertising that 97% of its awards ex-LON are the same or less costly now than they were on Nov. 15. No idea if it's true, but go read the BA board and get some opinions there. Look for opinions from fellow Londoners: those of North Americans or continental Europeans might be totally different because of the way the new segment system works. You're less affected by that, starting in London.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.