Reload this Page >

A frequent flyer mile is finally worth more than a penny

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

A frequent flyer mile is finally worth more than a penny

Search this Thread

Old Sep 15, 2011, 4:55 pm

Programs: AS 100K, UA MM, AA MM, IC Plat Amb, Marriott Gold, Hilton Gold, Hyatt Explorist
I disagree with those who base the value only on what you would pay for the ticket. I redeem miles only for C/F awards. (I can afford to pay for most coach tickets, so there's no "value" in that for me.) The amount of money I am willing to pay for a C/F ticket rarely intersects with the cost of that ticket. So without using miles, I would never be able to travel in international F at all!

So the fact that I might only be willing to pay $2,000 for that international F ticket doesn't mean that that's the value. The value is increased by the fact that I can't/won't pay more, so I am getting something I otherwise couldn't afford or wouldn't otherwise pay for.

This is part of the "indescribable value" that jrmcrm mentions above. You can't ignore that just because it's hard to calculate.
Old Sep 15, 2011, 5:34 pm

My valuation:

LAN & QF 1 cent
Most programs 2 cents
Amex MR 2.5 cents
SPG 4-5 cents
Old Sep 15, 2011, 5:49 pm

Programs: Several dozen
Yes, in fact I am playing Ping Pong transferring miles between 5 accounts. And at less than 1.1 because, for example, you can have one account with 90k send 3 30k transfers to 3 different accounts for the same one-time $30 fee.

Of course you are not going to redeem SkyPesos for domestic flights, but rather flights like transatlantic hops that go for say 60k SkyPesos when Kayak's lowest fare is say 1.5k Dollars.

Originally Posted by kstrait
So if you truly value your miles at more than 1.5 cmp, wouldn't you jump at the chance to maximize the number of miles you can get from Delta's 100% transfer bonus program (ends 9/30) in which you can accumulate up to 150k miles at 1.1 cpm?
Old Sep 15, 2011, 6:46 pm

Originally Posted by AlohaDaveKennedy
Yes, in fact I am playing Ping Pong transferring miles between 5 accounts. And at less than 1.1 because, for example, you can have one account with 90k send 3 30k transfers to 3 different accounts for the same one-time $30 fee.

Of course you are not going to redeem SkyPesos for domestic flights, but rather flights like transatlantic hops that go for say 60k SkyPesos when Kayak's lowest fare is say 1.5k Dollars.
what on earth? how does ping ponging miles between accounts manufacture miles?
Old Sep 15, 2011, 6:52 pm

Programs: United 2P, AA Gold, Hyatt Platinum, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by zkzkz
what on earth? how does ping ponging miles between accounts manufacture miles?
See: http://www.delta.com/skymiles/buy_tr..._lto/index.jsp
Old Sep 15, 2011, 7:00 pm

Programs: UA 2P
Originally Posted by rajuabju
I think most people who are on this forum value their miles much higher than 1 cent... I value mine at 5 cents or higher. I'd never (except maybe some extreme circumstance) redeem for lower value then that.
CO.
Wow, so does this mean that you max out the number of miles you're allowed to purchase directly from the airlines? They can generally be had for 2.5-3 cents/mile (much less in some cases, Delta and US Airways for example). Otherwise, why wouldn't you redeem at this level?
Old Sep 15, 2011, 7:34 pm

Programs: Bonvoy Platinum, IHG Diamond, Hyatt Discoverist
I fly international coach and generally use the 2 cents rule.

Though recent changes (*A and SkyPesos) have devalued some of the NE to SE Asia routes to the point it is better to buy. Going from Japan to NE Asia, Micronesia, HNL, N. America/Europe is still around 2cpm.
Old Sep 15, 2011, 7:48 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Originally Posted by rbAA
Actually, no. "Ticket brokers" have been pretty consistent at about 2.2 cents per mile over the past two decades in the "gray" market, so I don't think you can say that the 1 cent valuation was "widely held." And 25k domestic awards generally are only done last minute, with much higher fares or to gain some flexibility in date/time changes, so much higher values are seen there.
I doubt many flyertalkers bought miles at 2.2 cents from ticket brokers. For ordinary travellers, that would be a rip-off. I would assume these transactions were for immediate biz class awards where the buyers thought they were getting a better value than buying the published fares.

BTW, do such brokers exist these days? You sure don't hear much about them.

Originally Posted by kstrait
So if you truly value your miles at more than 1.5 cmp, wouldn't you jump at the chance to maximize the number of miles you can get from Delta's 100% transfer bonus program (ends 9/30) in which you can accumulate up to 150k miles at 1.1 cpm?
You probably missed the part where I said that some airlines were a little above 1.5 (Star) and some below (Delta). I do think DL miles are worth at least a penny, but how much above that is a very debatable question. We all know that DL has a generally weak award chart, but the reason it's so hard to value a DL mile is the "trouble" you have in redeeming the miles at the saver rate. If you live in a place where you must start your travel on DL, you are not going to value a Skymile very highly. If you live in a place served by DL partners who fly to places you want to go, you will assign more value to a Skymile.

Personally, I have a lot of Skymiles because I find them harder to spend than my other ff miles. So while they may be worth 1.1 cent, given the trouble I have redeeming them, I'd only want to fork over my hard earned cash if I could pick them up at a discount. I wouldn't be interested in paying "fair value" unless I had a specific use and great confidence that the award seats would be available. Otherwise, to store them for future use, I would be willing to buy "unlimited" Skypesos at approximately .7 cpm. I'd guess many flyertalkers would agree to similar terms.
Old Sep 15, 2011, 8:58 pm

Programs: WN A+ CP, UA 1MM/*A Gold, Mar LT Tit, IHG Plat, HH Dia
I figure that redeeming miles for coach tickets usually returns a value in the range of 1.6 - 2.0 cpm. Redemption fees, fuel surcharges, and other garbage fees can seriously diminish these values.

I find that using points for premium class tickets on international flights returns nominal values in the range of 3.0 - 6.0 cpm. I emphasize nominal because I consider them overpriced. For example, business tickets are often 3-4x the cost of coach, but I value them at only 2x coach. Taking that into account, their value to me is 1.5 - 4cpm.

On the whole I value airline miles at 1.8cpm when making choices about exchanging points between systems or comparing options for bonuses.
Old Sep 15, 2011, 10:52 pm

Programs: HHonors Gold, Marriott Lifetime Gold, IHG Gold, OZ*G, AA Gold, AS MVP
When redeeming on UA for an NH China-Japan award it's always been more than 1cpm for me; usually 2-3 if we just go by Y redemptions (for example, a 20k award is $600 or so during certain time periods).
Old Sep 15, 2011, 11:32 pm

Programs: SPG PLT
Agree! International travel is the way to go. Save your miles for international.
Old Sep 16, 2011, 12:30 am

Programs: AA EXP, Hilton GLD, Marriott Plat, NEXUS/GE
Originally Posted by virtuo0
Absolutely right. Value is not what someone is offering it at, but what someone is willing to pay for it. (real estate market is the best example)
^^

While I get a bit of a kick out of burning miles at a face value substantially more than say, 2cpm, I understand that I wouldn't normally buy myself round-the-world tickets in first. Consequently, my RDM valuation is mostly set at a bit higher than what I can do the ticket for in Y (but a bit higher for the comfort of J/F and for the flexibility of stopovers, etc. that revenue tickets might not provide [at least for free])
Old Sep 16, 2011, 9:36 am

Originally Posted by darthbimmer
I figure that redeeming miles for coach tickets usually returns a value in the range of 1.6 - 2.0 cpm. Redemption fees, fuel surcharges, and other garbage fees can seriously diminish these values.
You're doing better on coach than I can usually do except in the rarest of instances. But when I figure out my cpm for a coach redemption, I also discount it by assigning a proportionate value to the miles I did not earn for the flight since I'm on an award ticket. If you're doing that and getting 1.6 to 2.0 cpm, that's really impressive.
Old Sep 16, 2011, 9:43 am

Originally Posted by abcx
Basically, to put it in economic terms, the discount rate on the future value of miles is huge.
This is a critical point to understand. Miles may be quite valuable (up to 10 cents each) today, but can be devalued very quickly...kind of like the currency of an unstable government. The incentive, then, is to use the miles quickly.
Old Sep 16, 2011, 9:58 am

Programs: UA Premier Platinum; Marriott Platinum
Originally Posted by srt8-blue
Agree! International travel is the way to go. Save your miles for international.
Given theoretical unlimited travel availability, I agree. But I have the trips I can take and that's it. My last three trips were

IAD-DFW in Y for 25K (x4)
TRI-PBI in Y for 25K (x4)
IAD-FCO in C for 110K (x2)

Some people would look at that and say I'm "wasting" miles. But those are the trips I wanted to take and I took them when I wanted.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.