Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Convince me not to redeem miles for AMEX Gift Cards

Search this Thread

Old Sep 13, 2011, 9:44 am

Programs: Hyatt Diamond, HHonors Diamond; AA: Exec Plat
Originally Posted by onthego15
What's the big deal? Cash in some miles and keep some miles. It doesn't have to be all or nothing. Anyway, that's what I did, and I ave closer to 200K.
Agree - even cashing out 550k could score you $5,000 and leave you with a healthy 450k miles - plenty enough for what it seems like you have planned.

After watching what's happening to BA's mile program now, I don't think it's wise to sit on any significant sum of miles for that long anyway...
Old Sep 13, 2011, 9:49 am

Programs: AS, AA Gold, and Hilton
Originally Posted by MrHalliday
Yeah, take the money and run.
It will all be over next year anyway.....
Do you think they'll be doing away with the Amex cards?
Old Sep 13, 2011, 10:56 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Lifetime Gold
Wirelessly posted (BlackBerry8530/5.0.0.601 Profile/MIDP-2.1 Configuration/CLDC-1.1 VendorID/417)

Originally Posted by HansGolden
Originally Posted by guv1976
Wirelessly posted (BlackBerry8530/5.0.0.601 Profile/MIDP-2.1 Configuration/CLDC-1.1 VendorID/417)

"I have a 9 month old so his ticket is free for now."

I don't know what DL's policy is, but most carriers do not transport a lap infant for free on international flights. The typical charge for a lap infant is 10% of a full-fare ticket.
OT, but it's not full-fare: it's 10% of whatever the parents' fare is.
But if the parents are traveling on award tickets, what base fare is then used to calculate the 10% lap-child fare?
Old Sep 13, 2011, 11:03 am

Programs: Doing GS11, probably affiliated with every program out there
Originally Posted by rajj
Do you have any relatives who travel for whom you can buy tickets and have them reimburse you the cost of the ticket? Maybe at a discount so it's a win/win?
I am with rajj. it's really a win/win if you can do a reward ticket for someone you trust and have him give you the cash, a lot better than the exchange rate for the gift cards and cash is also better than gift cards

but if you can't that to happen then I don't see any harm to cash out some miles if you have that much miles sitting there.
Old Sep 13, 2011, 11:13 am

Programs: SPG Plat & IC Amb
Originally Posted by guv1976

But if the parents are traveling on award tickets, what base fare is then used to calculate the 10% lap-child fare?
Normally, it's 10% of a full fare ticket.
Old Sep 13, 2011, 11:13 am
Original Poster

I guess I am going to redeem some. Wish there were relatives that traveled a lot on paid tickets but unfortunately don't. Cash is better than "points" at this stage.
Old Sep 13, 2011, 9:31 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Million Miler (lite). NY Metro area.
Originally Posted by davevt98

Cash is low at the moment so I am looking at ways to get additional money. Frequent flyer points and hotel points have value and I can redeem 110,000 Delta miles for $1000.
And I thought Sky Pesos are worthless.
Old Sep 13, 2011, 9:55 pm

Programs: AA-UA-AS IHG-SPG-Carlson
Originally Posted by jjmiller69
Do you think they'll be doing away with the Amex cards?
No, not directly,
that was just a silly reference to the end of the world
as predicted by the Mayan Calendar,
and maybe few prognosticators.
Sorry.
Old Sep 15, 2011, 11:56 am

Location: Bangkok Thailand HYATT DIAMOND, DL PM, DL 2 Million Miler
Programs: THAI RO Gold, Hilton Gold,Marriott something
No, not directly,
Sorry.
Well, if the world does end the Amex deal probably ends with it. Youve convinced me. Im casing in some miles for Amex cards and Im going to party like its 2011

But seriously. I cashed in 250K of miles for Amex cards. Paid my attorney with Amex and Saks cards. And i still have 1 million. Cash some, keep some.
Old Sep 15, 2011, 12:17 pm

I have a similar question. I am looking for AI hotels in Caribbean for November and it feels like I would need a lot of miles with any of the hotel chains. I need two rooms, so each night is 50-150K miles on AA or Priority. But websites like cheapcarribean.com have great discounts for AI hotels. So it feels like I am better of converting my MP 100K points to Delta and cash it for AMEX gift card and pay for hotels.

Can somebody convince me that it's not a good idea?
Old Sep 15, 2011, 2:52 pm

Programs: Delta Silver, Marriott Gold, HH Diamond, Ex-UA Gold, Ex-AA Gold , Ex-SPG Gold, Peon everywhere else
Wife had about 94,000 miles accummulated mostly through CC and some through BIS. Looked at award availability for a awhile and decided it was too much of hassle to try and get a couple of tickets somewhere, so she decided to transfer 25K MR points (w/50% bonus) to Delta, which gave her a total of around 132000. She cashed all of it out for $1200, and we used that to buy a new washer and dryer. Best purchase (almost free) we have ever made considering most of the points and miles were from normal spending and bonuses. We find that using our AA miles for flight awards is the most convenient and easiest to redeem for our needs. I still have my 90,000 plus miles and some MR points and will soon be looking to buy a bedroom set for our 1-year old. So guess what my miles will be paying for.
Old Sep 15, 2011, 6:24 pm

Programs: Several dozen
The Mayans got it all wrong - the end came in July 2011 for the coinfolk. The sign came when the miracle of the coins and the miles ended. After that banks started laying off first born sons, the airplanes fell from the sky (as airlines started reducing capacity) and earthquakes roiled the country (from the weight of the coins piling up at the mint). Then all the devils appeared in Washington to say they could fix the economic mess they created and the faithful groaned and pulled out the rotten eggs they were hoarding and fired away. The world ended with the smell of sulphur hanging in the air like a plane in a holding pattern.

No, not directly,
Sorry.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.