Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > MilesBuzz
Reload this Page >

300 K miles for family of 6 - Where to go for December?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

300 K miles for family of 6 - Where to go for December?

Search this Thread

Old Sep 16, 2011, 10:03 am

Programs: SPG Gold, AA PM
Thanks for following up. I had been wondering what you decided on in the end. Also, I don't think you can cross-post, but the Hawaii and SPG boards might be good places to find more specific information about your trip.
And please consider Japan when the kids are older and the exchange is better (if ever) - it's an amazing place.
Old Sep 16, 2011, 11:50 am

Programs: AGR Starwood Whoever I can get points with :D
Awesome, I want to go to Hawaii with my kids for sure too! Especially the big island for the volcanoes.
Old Sep 16, 2011, 12:58 pm

[QUOTE=momof4kids1dog1guineapig;17120501]
We are looking at staying at Moana Surfrider or Sheraton Waikiki with our SPG points. Anyone have a preference about those? We are also going to the big island for a few days. We want to stay on the Hilo side to be near the waterfalls and volcano. Anyone have a recommendation for a hotel on that side of the island? All the big ones are on the Kona side, and we aren't going to stay there./QUOTE]

Stayed at Sheraton which was okay, but will let others compare to Moana.

I'd check out VRBO instead of a hotel on the Hilo side. From my memory, there weren't any great hotels there but we found a nice house rental.

Enjoy, it's a beautiful place! Also, if I remember correctly January is good timing for the whales--try to get under the water and listen.
Old Sep 16, 2011, 1:53 pm

Programs: lots of little things
Originally Posted by Mile-a-holic
I'd check out VRBO instead of a hotel on the Hilo side. From my memory, there weren't any great hotels there but we found a nice house rental.
This is true. There really aren't many (if any) chain hotels on the Hilo side but private rentals through VRBO or airbnb, etc are a good option. I've used VRBO firsthand for a cottage in Mountain View, between Hilo and Volcanoes NP, and had a great experience.
Old Sep 16, 2011, 2:43 pm

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, National Executive
Originally Posted by momof4kids1dog1guineapig
Just an update for those interested in what we decided. It looks like we are going to Hawaii in January instead. We may do Costa Rica next year, and maybe Europe the next year. That will be better anyway when our kids are a bit older.

We are looking at staying at Moana Surfrider or Sheraton Waikiki with our SPG points. Anyone have a preference about those? We are also going to the big island for a few days. We want to stay on the Hilo side to be near the waterfalls and volcano. Anyone have a recommendation for a hotel on that side of the island? All the big ones are on the Kona side, and we aren't going to stay there.

Thanks for the guidance and well wishes!
Awesome! Enjoy the trip.
Oh, you owe us a trip report!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.