Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > MilesBuzz
Reload this Page >

which needs the least miles for lst class to Asia?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Aug 14, 2011, 9:43 am
Original Poster

I have the United/Continental, Alaska Air, Aeroplan, British Airways and American Airlines frequent flier plans

Which of the above would require the least amount of miles for Asia and has good availability for lst class award seat? Also, would the award fees be about the same amount?

Thanks in advance.

Hope this is the correct place to ask this question.
Old Aug 14, 2011, 10:27 am

I suspect you may not get an answer, since you could very well just look up their award redemption charts and find the answers quite easily.

Regarding the first class seats, I always fly economy so can't help you..
Old Aug 14, 2011, 10:47 am
Original Poster

yes, it is easy to find with award chart but i tied the question to award availability for seats and award fees.

Just hoping someone who has traveled to Asia on lst class recently would know the answer without researching.
Old Aug 14, 2011, 11:06 am

Programs: spg gold
We will need your help
!.Where do you live
2.What time of year do you want to travel
3.How many awards will you be looking for
4.Where in Asia would you like to travel
Old Aug 14, 2011, 11:10 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA PLT,AS,UA PP,J6,FB,EY,LH,SQ,HH Dmd,Hyatt Glbl,Marriott Plat,IHG Plat,Accor Gold
Can't answer re the relative mileage costs of your various programs, but a couple of observations:

1. CX F award availability is generally good if you book way in advance (very approximately, from eight to eleven months). And even closer to your travel dates, it can still be good, sometimes seats being released close to departure. Plus it's arguably the best F you can get for miles, since the main competitor, SQ, is extremely tough (or maybe even impossible?) to score, at least using UA miles.
2. AA and BA should have the same availability for getting CX F, but I believe AA is considerably better in terms of fewer miles and lower taxes/fees.
Old Aug 14, 2011, 11:16 am

Programs: UA 1K, Marriott Gold, SPG Gold
Originally Posted by metoo
I have the United/Continental, Alaska Air, Aeroplan, British Airways and American Airlines frequent flier plans

Which of the above would require the least amount of miles for Asia and has good availability for lst class award seat? Also, would the award fees be about the same amount?

Thanks in advance.

Hope this is the correct place to ask this question.
United: http://tinyurl.com/3tgby5c
Alaska: http://tinyurl.com/3fy33rp

etc.
Old Aug 14, 2011, 11:18 am
Original Poster

LAX
anytime between november and end of january
one , maybe two
if two, will be Hong Kong and Singapore
if one, will be Vietnam and Vancouver
Old Aug 14, 2011, 11:30 am

Originally Posted by Thunderroad
Can't answer re the relative mileage costs of your various programs, but a couple of observations:

1. CX F award availability is generally good if you book way in advance (very approximately, from eight to eleven months). And even closer to your travel dates, it can still be good, sometimes seats being released close to departure. Plus it's arguably the best F you can get for miles, since the main competitor, SQ, is extremely tough (or maybe even impossible?) to score, at least using UA miles.
2. AA and BA should have the same availability for getting CX F, but I believe AA is considerably better in terms of fewer miles and lower taxes/fees.
If you use BA miles to fly some AA or partner flight, do you get charged the higher BA taxes or lower partner taxes?
Old Aug 14, 2011, 11:38 am

Originally Posted by mase
If you use BA miles to fly some AA or partner flight, do you get charged the higher BA taxes or lower partner taxes?
Government taxes and airport charges are usually the same, whatever miles you use.

However, BA charges whatever the fuel surcharges (YQ) the operating carrier publishes. So, if you redeem on AA domestic flights, there is no fuel surcharge. However, if you redeem for AA international flights, I believe as of recently, AA has started publishing a fuel surcharge component, and you will be charged by BA for your mileage redemption.
Old Aug 14, 2011, 11:40 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by mase
Depends on the operating carrier(s) involved.

See also http://www.wandr.me/Tools/Frequent_F...n_Options.aspx for a comparison of the award charts. Currently the Aeroplan chart doesn't reflect the new rates and AA and AS partners are not fully loaded in the system. It should be wholly accurate for UA, CO and BA.
Old Aug 14, 2011, 12:08 pm

Programs: *G, M+ Platinum
Originally Posted by metoo
LAX
anytime between november and end of january
one , maybe two
if two, will be Hong Kong and Singapore
if one, will be Vietnam and Vancouver
Vancouver is not in Asia

Also, do you really mean first,or is business OK?
Old Aug 14, 2011, 1:45 pm
Original Poster

lol....Vancouver is not in Asia but I am allowed stopovers so figure I visit family before coming back from Vietnam .

Prefer first class if it is for two....I like to treat my 81 year old mother to a wonderful experience so need to earn miles.

If it is just for myself, I guess Business would be okay but prefer lst.
Old Aug 14, 2011, 3:33 pm

Programs: AA, Delta, UA & thanks to FTers for my PC Gold!
Not exactly on C cabin or 1st class, but this thread may give you some good ideas on where and how to start your journey for your own search and/or research:

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/miles...-possible.html

Good luck!
Old Aug 14, 2011, 3:40 pm
Original Poster

Thanks for the link.
Old Aug 14, 2011, 7:28 pm

multi-leg

If you are considering a couple countries there have been some great multi-leg deals lately. I took a multi-leg trip in July from Guam to Thailand to Manila and back to Guam all business class and only 30,000 miles on Continental for the whole thing. You can't find the multi-leg aspect online but you can call in and the rep can help you.

And the best part was that part of the flight was on Thai Air which is way better than Continental. I don't think that deal is still going but there still are some pretty good options.

Just something to keep in mind for multi-leg trips within Asia. I haven't checked lately flying from the U.S.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.