Reload this Page >

Trying to gain 20,000 AA miles quickly

Trying to gain 20,000 AA miles quickly

Old Apr 2, 2011, 1:26 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AA, BA, delta
Post Trying to gain 20,000 AA miles quickly

Hello,
I have about 80,000 AA miles (mostly from the citi card). Im about to open a new card which promises to double your miles up to 100,000. The offer expires in a month and I was hoping to not let anything go to waste by bringing up my miles to 100,000. Most of the offers I've seen (for example the citi bank account) would require a few months of waiting I dont have. Does anybody have links to increase my miles? Even small amounts would help.

Thanks
Old Apr 2, 2011, 1:53 pm

Programs: DL, AA, UA, SPG Gold, HH Gold, IHG Platinum, Marriott Silver
Originally Posted by ohnodapopo
Hello,
I have about 80,000 AA miles (mostly from the citi card). Im about to open a new card which promises to double your miles up to 100,000. The offer expires in a month and I was hoping to not let anything go to waste by bringing up my miles to 100,000. Most of the offers I've seen (for example the citi bank account) would require a few months of waiting I dont have. Does anybody have links to increase my miles? Even small amounts would help.

Thanks
Buy a few really nice TVs?
Old Apr 2, 2011, 2:51 pm

Programs: HH Diamond, Hyatt Globalist, Bonvoy Platinum
Hello,

Thanks
what card is doubling your miles? Cap 1 match?

you can currently buy 20k AA miles with a 20% discount
Old Apr 2, 2011, 2:59 pm

Programs: Several dozen
Common guys - who buys miles these days? Go out and buy AMEX GCs with the AA card, recycle them into VISA GCs and then recapitalize the banking system. With the economy getting gassed and 13% of the homes rotting vacant the banks need your money. Help save the economy for 20k AA miles!

But what can you do with AA miles? Better fly SWA with their new planes equipped with sun roofs.

Originally Posted by jmw2323

Old Apr 2, 2011, 3:10 pm

Programs: AA EXP, UA Premier Plat, Alaska MVP Gold, HHonors Diamond, SPG Platinum, Hyatt Platinum
Hello,

Thanks
Note that with CapOne you DO NOT GET AA MILES. You get CapOne Venture miles, which are valued at EXACTLY $0.01 each (in terms of a credit on your statement).

Not that it's not worth it, but if you buy 20K miles right now ($400), you're getting another $200 in match from Cap1 (vs. not having the miles), so you're effectively getting 20K miles for $200 after your match. Probably the best deal out there, buying miles at 1cpm (effective rate).
Old Apr 2, 2011, 3:11 pm

Programs: HH Diamond, Hyatt Globalist, Bonvoy Platinum
Originally Posted by AlohaDaveKennedy
Common guys - who buys miles these days?
common?

a way to get 20k quickly was asked and answered. no more
Old Apr 2, 2011, 4:24 pm

Programs: Lotz

http://creditcards.citicards.com/usc...6DCEF65647E863

Link still valid and Citi posts pretty quick.
Old Apr 2, 2011, 7:45 pm

Programs: AA, BA, SIA, UA, CO
AA now has a promotion of buying 20k miles for $400+ processing fee, regular price $500
Old Apr 3, 2011, 9:29 am
Original Poster

Programs: AA, BA, delta
Originally Posted by jmw2323

Yes, that is the card I will apply for shortly. Thanks for all the suggestions everyone.
Old Apr 3, 2011, 7:10 pm

Programs: *G, SPG, OW Sapphire
You didn't mention costs so I'd say flying could be a good way, especially with some of the DRDM promotions out there. JFK-BUD, LAX-PVG, JFK-NRT I believe all have AA 2x miles promotions that should get you the miles you're looking for.
Old Apr 3, 2011, 7:26 pm

Originally Posted by AlohaDaveKennedy
Common guys - who buys miles these days? Go out and buy AMEX GCs with the AA card, recycle them into VISA GCs and then recapitalize the banking system. With the economy getting gassed and 13% of the homes rotting vacant the banks need your money. Help save the economy for 20k AA miles!

But what can you do with AA miles? Better fly SWA with their new planes equipped with sun roofs.
The source for Visa GCs does not take Amex GCs.
Old Apr 3, 2011, 7:33 pm

Hello,
I have about 80,000 AA miles (mostly from the citi card).
Have you considered opening another flavor of Citicard? There were initially three offers, at least one of which is still apparently alive and can give you a decent slug of miles after the first $1k spend.
Old Apr 3, 2011, 7:35 pm

can those who have churned in the past get the 20,000 miles from this AA account?
Old Apr 3, 2011, 7:54 pm

Originally Posted by ddfr
can those who have churned in the past get the 20,000 miles from this AA account?
IME and from posts here, it is kind of all over the map. The official version is (I think) that you shouldn't even qualify for the card, and I've known a guy or two who was outright turned down for having had a Citicard he canceled a few years ago. Others here have applied for more than one of the recent offer (whether they had historically had Citicards varies I think) and gotten approval/miles for both. It's a bit haphazard, it appears, in practice.
Old Apr 4, 2011, 6:21 am

Originally Posted by darwin76
The source for Visa GCs does not take Amex GCs.
Then find the right source.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.