Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > MilesBuzz
Reload this Page >

For the experts === Have 887,000 Am Ex Reward points to transfer== TO WHERE?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

For the experts === Have 887,000 Am Ex Reward points to transfer== TO WHERE?

Search this Thread

Old Mar 30, 2011, 2:15 am

Programs: Skyteam, OneWorld, AMEX
Trying to decide whether to dump some MRs too (not 800k)

Originally Posted by thepointsguy
In general, you should keep Amex points where they are until you need to redeem. However, I think the 40% BA bonus (expiring March 31) and the 50% Delta bonus (expiring May 31) are very good deals based on past promotions and if I had to transfer 887k Amex, I'd probably do:

200k to Delta taking advantage of the 50%+MQM transfer promo and then use those 300,000 miles for two V Australia business class tickets down under. V Australia has very good award availability and a decent J product. This also assumes you'd get some value out of the 25,000 MQM bonus.

I'd then transfer 215k to BA, because I love the new BA First and would redeem 300k for 2 North Am-Europe F class seats. Even though fees are high ($600ish), I personally feel the new first class product is worth it and I really like the BA F experience (Concorde Lounges, amenities/pyjamas, flying with Madonna, etc). BA also allows one way Oneworld awards, which I always find useful. I just redeemed 50k BA (36k Amex with the 40% bonus) and $85 for a Cathay Pacific JFK-YVR roundtrip in business class, which I thought was a great value.

I'd then transfer 240k to Aeroplan so I could do a couple mini-RTWs in F.

That leaves 232k which I might transfer to Continental, so once combined with United, I might splurge for some Emirates F awards before that partnership ends on May 28, 2011.
Good tips - thanks
I like the S America BA deal that you pointed out on your page - do you know if the same stopover example would apply to a coach award ticket? If you could point me toward the rules for that one, I'd really appreciate the help...

Do you like BA better for S America than AA?

I've learned a lot from your posts - thanks for all of your help!
Old Mar 30, 2011, 7:00 am

Programs: Delta DM, SPG Plat, Hyatt Diamond, MTA Rust, Hertz Five Star something or other
Originally Posted by LAXtraveler19
Good tips - thanks
I like the S America BA deal that you pointed out on your page - do you know if the same stopover example would apply to a coach award ticket? If you could point me toward the rules for that one, I'd really appreciate the help...

Do you like BA better for S America than AA?

I've learned a lot from your posts - thanks for all of your help!
BA routing is the same first/business/coach. It would be 40k roundtrip for coach, which is also a great deal considering 40k BA = 29k Amex (as long as you transfer by tomorrow).
Check out this thread for info on stopovers http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/briti...over-rule.html

So yes, I like BA better for SA awards for that reason.
Old Mar 30, 2011, 8:31 pm

I'd then transfer 240k to Aeroplan so I could do a couple mini-RTWs in F.
I'm intrigued...can you share details?
Old Mar 30, 2011, 8:34 pm

Programs: Delta DM, SPG Plat, Hyatt Diamond, MTA Rust, Hertz Five Star something or other
Originally Posted by audio-nut
I'm intrigued...can you share details?
Aeroplan has very flexible routing rules. I wrote a post about them.
Old Mar 30, 2011, 9:08 pm

Aeroplan has very flexible routing rules. I wrote a post about them.
Thank you! This is exactly what I have been looking for. I took advantage of the AA OW award structure a few years ago and was able to fly ~45K miles in J and F for only 100K AAdvantage miles. Your post has me in planning mode once again!

Any prohibition on using SQ?
Old Mar 30, 2011, 9:11 pm

Just a friendly reminder: Amex MR to Delta has 50% bonus until May 31; to BA has 40% bonus until March 31.
Old Mar 30, 2011, 9:15 pm

BA for AA from US to Hawaii only requires 35k only for round trip, with unlimited (theoritically) stop on the way, much better than using AA itself. Under current 40% transfer promotion, you only need 25k MR for a flight to Hawaii.
Originally Posted by AlohaDaveKennedy
Yeah, can't beat BA for LAN flights. BA is the best South American Airline.
Old Mar 30, 2011, 9:44 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

+ 113K VS / 100K SPG
and you could do a $30K trip to necker island
Old Mar 30, 2011, 10:48 pm

Programs: Lotz
AeroPlan or ANA ?

I'm in a (smaller) similar boat and that is the question.
Old Mar 31, 2011, 2:12 am
evq

Programs: EVA Air Diamond, Fairmont Premier
Originally Posted by tassojunior
I'm in a (smaller) similar boat and that is the question.
aeroplan for long hauls, ana for short hops
Old Mar 31, 2011, 7:42 am

Good point, especially busi/first class for long hauls. Eco class generally require more miles than UA/CO's program.

Originally Posted by evq
aeroplan for long hauls, ana for short hops

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.