Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > MilesBuzz
Reload this Page >

What is Your Best Airline Award Redemption?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

What is Your Best Airline Award Redemption?

Search this Thread

Old Sep 7, 2011, 11:41 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by horseguy
My best use of miles was either:

1) In the last year of my father in law's life, it was pretty obvious he was not going to last too much longer, so we spent almost a million miles (most of my wife's miles) to fly relatives from all over the country to his birthday. He enjoyed it very much. He died about five months later.

2) I used about 800K of my miles to fly four of my wife's relatives from Bejing to visit my FIL's grave and spend a week in Orlando (where we live). I flew them in first class on AA (which was really nice since they are all very very old).

I simply cannot imagine a better use of miles than these two events.
This is a very caring act of you and you must love your wife very much. ^
Old Sep 7, 2011, 11:46 pm

Programs: UA 2MM, AA 600k, DL 500k, Hyatt GP 1M, HH Gold, Rad. Gold, CP Gold, Miracle Fruit-su Club
Originally Posted by horseguy
My best use of miles was either:

1) In the last year of my father in law's life, it was pretty obvious he was not going to last too much longer, so we spent almost a million miles (most of my wife's miles) to fly relatives from all over the country to his birthday. He enjoyed it very much. He died about five months later.

2) I used about 800K of my miles to fly four of my wife's relatives from Bejing to visit my FIL's grave and spend a week in Orlando (where we live). I flew them in first class on AA (which was really nice since they are all very very old).

I simply cannot imagine a better use of miles than these two events.
Wow -- just wow. ^
Old Sep 8, 2011, 12:18 pm

Programs: SPG Gold, UA 1K, Avis PC
*Best perceived value*

100k each for F on BA (before fuel surcharges were imposed) from CDG->LHR->CPT, then MRU->LHR->CDG using AA miles.

We found the rate of 50k miles for one way in F from anywhere Europe to Africa to be quite the gem, especially direct from Northern Europe to Southern Africa!

The Concord Lounge in LHR was quite nice and we added some layover time just to enjoy the private 'hotel' room and amenities.

*Favorite usage*

A friend decided to drop his professional job and hitchhike from Louisiana to Alaska to fish or find his next pursuit. He stayed with us in San Francisco and we realized that his hitching would get complicated upon arrival at the Canadian border due to a DUI he earned years ago. We surprised him with an award flight to arrive in Alaska in time for fishing season. Just received a message yesterday that he is shipping 10lbs of fresh Halibut and Salmon to us for our generosity.

His ticket only cost 12,500 miles, but those miles went a long way!

Last edited by tripaddict; Sep 8, 2011 at 12:28 pm
Old Sep 8, 2011, 12:25 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Most
Only once the program has died, will I ever post my best redemptions..... Haven't seen anything exciting yet here.....
Old Sep 8, 2011, 12:41 pm

Programs: HH Diamond,,B6,DL,WN
I paid 99.00 for the WN Visa card and 50,000 points. I purchased 4 RT tix BWI-BUF and have some left over(my son goes to school in Baltimore). It might not be the most efficient use of points, but it was what I needed.
Old Sep 8, 2011, 3:14 pm
Formerly known as cagalindo

Programs: Citi AA/HH/TYP Amex SPG/HH & Chase SP/PC
30k to Peru and back
Old Sep 8, 2011, 5:31 pm

Programs: Marriott Plat, Hyatt Glob AA Plat
130K RT to asia on CX F and Jl J
Old Sep 10, 2011, 11:04 pm
R&R

Programs: 1K-UA/AA, LT PLAT-MARRIOTT(1984), HILTON-GOLD, HYATT-GOLD
Smile First Class Cathay Pacific Calif to Thailand!

Two Holiday trips two years in a row roundtrip SanDiego-HongKong-Bangkok in First Class on Cathay Pacific for 125,000 miles each. They were older American Miles and those flight were the best of my life. Enjoyed the special featured Teas, Krug champaign, and cavier through out the trips.
Could not believe how great I felt on Arrival after such a distance of travel.
The stopover 1st class Lounge & Spa in HongKong was a real refreshing treat, as well as, the made to order breakfasts, teas & coffees !

I am still have the FOUR pairs of Designer Label Flight Lounge pajama sets to wear to bed on cooler nights to remind me of the wonderful flights! The Duvets made for a most restful sleep before flatbed seats!

I am wondering if it is time for a repeat?

Last edited by R&R; Sep 13, 2011 at 3:32 am
Old Sep 11, 2011, 12:27 pm

Programs: No preference
Originally Posted by holtju2
Only once the program has died, will I ever post my best redemptions..... Haven't seen anything exciting yet here.....
Thanks for the contribution.
Old Sep 11, 2011, 2:50 pm

Originally Posted by Dutchguypdx
The best ticket we ever booked was yesterday

SEA-FRA LUFTHANSA IN FIRST (STOPOVER IN EUROPE FOR 30 DAYS)
FRA-HGK THAI IN FIRST (STOPOVER 5 DAYS HONGKONG)
HGK-BKK THAI IN BUSINESS (7 DAY STOPOVER)
BKK-DPS THAI IN BUSINESS (8DAY STOPOVER
DPS-SIN-HGK ON SINGAPORE IN BUSINESS
HGK-FRA ON THAI FIRST
FRA-SEA ON LUFTHANSA FIRST (SO IN CAN SEE THE FIRST CLASS TERMINAL)

STAR ALLIANCE!!
120.000 USA TO HGK IN FIRST
60.000 HGK TO DPS IN BUSINESS
WE WILL BE FLUING WITH 4 PEOPLE
PS I WAS ON THE PHONE 6 TIMES 4 HOURS TOTAL
AND 10 HOURS PREP WORK
I can believe the effort you have put in to score such a fantastic trip! I'm sure many or atleast I, am curious to know for which dates or how far ahead did you score that one.

My best so far is - 55K on UA from ord-fra on coach in december this year and i booked it in feb
Old Sep 11, 2011, 3:00 pm

Programs: *G, SPG, OW Sapphire
US-Germany LH First Class
Germany-Bangkok-Hong Kong TG First Class
Hong Kong-Seoul OZ Business Class
Seoul-US OZ First Class

2x with stops in HKG and ICN 120k US miles each and ~$150!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.