Community
Wiki Posts
Search

[Consolidated] 1099s for miles & cash rewards from all banks

Search this Thread

Old Feb 10, 2014, 12:37 pm
Original Member

Originally Posted by KennyBSAT
I opened a Citigold account with 30K AA miles and my wife opened one with 40K TYP. No 1099s for either of us. I have checked with Citi and the CSR said the 1099 would show in my account if one was going to be generated, and last time the flood of 1099 reports started mid-January. I think we are in the clear.
Cool, thanks for posting. It sounds like the requirement that the customer use the debit card for a specified amount of purchases triggers the Rebate Rule in Citi's opinion and eliminates the 1099 requirement for opening a bank account, which is great news.
Old Feb 10, 2014, 12:41 pm
Original Member

Originally Posted by UserMark
Not a bank, but Ameritrade sent me a 1099 for a $500 transfer bonus. I thought there was no 1099 if it was under $600.
Was it a 1099-MISC or a 1099-INT? Even if it was a 1099-MISC, as someone pointed out upthread, the issuer can choose to do a 1099 even if the amount paid is least than the minimum required for issuance.
Old Feb 10, 2014, 4:16 pm

Programs: SWA, UAL, SPG, AA
I redeemed 251,958 TYP in 2013 and Citi issued a 1099 Misc for ~$850
Old Feb 11, 2014, 11:04 am

Originally Posted by Andy2
Was it a 1099-MISC or a 1099-INT? Even if it was a 1099-MISC, as someone pointed out upthread, the issuer can choose to do a 1099 even if the amount paid is least than the minimum required for issuance.
It was 1099-MISC. I know they can, so I can't really complain to them, but I was just expecting that they wouldn't.
Old Feb 13, 2014, 8:17 am

Programs: A few
Originally Posted by UserMark
Not a bank, but Ameritrade sent me a 1099 for a $500 transfer bonus. I thought there was no 1099 if it was under $600.
There is no requirement to produce a 1099 if the payment was less than $600 but that does not mean they can't issue if they choose to do so, unfortunately

I can also confirm at this point I got no 1099 from Citi for last year's 30k sign up bonus. Given we are now a couple of weeks after the 31st Jan filing deadline I think we are in the clear ^
Old Feb 17, 2014, 5:47 am

Received 1099 from Citi

I came back from vacation and found a 1099 MISC from Citi for $641.81 "Other Income." I called the number listed on the form for questions (Citiphone Banking, 1-888-248-4226) and the supervisor said it was related to Thank You Points but didn't have details. He put in a research ticket. By way of background: In 2012 I opened a checking account and got 40K TYP bonus. Didn't receive a 1099 covering 2012. In 2013 I redeemed about 40K TYP's for about $600 in plane tickets. I'll post when they respond, although I'm probably doomed on this, would be good to know for future behavior.
Old Feb 17, 2014, 7:56 am
Original Member

Originally Posted by GoGreen
I came back from vacation and found a 1099 MISC from Citi for $641.81 "Other Income." I called the number listed on the form for questions (Citiphone Banking, 1-888-248-4226) and the supervisor said it was related to Thank You Points but didn't have details. He put in a research ticket. By way of background: In 2012 I opened a checking account and got 40K TYP bonus. Didn't receive a 1099 covering 2012. In 2013 I redeemed about 40K TYP's for about $600 in plane tickets. I'll post when they respond, although I'm probably doomed on this, would be good to know for future behavior.
Just curious, GoGreen, as to whether you were required to use a Citi debit card for a specified amount of purchases in order to obtain the bonus ThankYou points when you opened the account in 2012? It is the required use of the debit card that appears to be Citi's rationale for no longer issuing a 1099 for the AA miles issued as a bonus for opening a bank account. The value, if any, of the miles serves to reduce the basis of items purchased with the debit card instead of being a substitute for interest income, so no 1099 is required for the AA miles. The other possibility is that Citi decided to value the AA miles low enough to be below the 1099 threshold.

But Citi has always treated the TY points differently than AA miles from a 1099 standpoint, even though there appears to be no tax law support for doing so. I understand the business reason since Citi knows the value of the TY points at the time of redemption (and Citi does not know if and when AA miles are redeemed), I just find no tax support for it. When they were issuing 1099s for AA miles given as a bonus for opening a bank account, they issued a 1099 for the AA miles at the time of issuance. When they issued TY points as a bonus for opening a bank account, they did not issue a 1099 until those TY points were redeemed by the customer within the Citi system (and did an elaborate tracking to separate the "nontaxable" TY points earned from credit card spending that are subject to the Rebate Rule and the "taxable" TY points earned from opening and maintaining the bank account).

I was hoping they decided to use the rebate rule even for TY points earned on the banking side and not issue a 1099 for those upon redemption - if they started to require the use of the debit card in order for the customer to get those TY points. But maybe not, which is why I am curious if you were required to use a debit card for a certain amount of purchases in order to obtain the TY points.
Old Feb 17, 2014, 8:20 am

I am pretty sure there was no requirement at all about using the debit card. I think it was two direct deposits, two bill pays, no paper statements.
Old Feb 19, 2014, 6:08 pm

Got an answer from CB about the 1099 issued related to my checking account. Boy did I get screwed over for doing the Member Get Member promo which put me over the $600.

I am closing this account! Next time I open a checking account w/ Citi I'll be more careful!

(Although I'm not happy about it at least they sent me a response that makes sense and sounds like they have a system .... although I'm not hearing that others are having a similar experience .... but it could just be that I did the silly Member Get Member promo plus redeemed 40K for plane tix in the same year.)

"The amount of $5xx.xx listed on the 1099 MISC represents the retail value of ThankYou Points redeemed on xx/xx/2013. If you are requesting details as far as what the points were redeemed for (i.e. merchandise, gift cards, etc.), please call the ThankYou Service Center at 1-800-842-6596.

In addition, Points do not have a fixed value. Redemption value is calculated based on a variety of factors related to the goods or services received by the customer. Pricing varies by redemption item and time of redemption. Since points do not have a fixed value and also reflect confidential business information, Citibank cannot provide customers with a specific
point value that will be used in all instances.

Our records also indicate your account received a credit of $100.00 on xx/xx/2013 for participating in our Member Get Member Promotion. However, this credit is reported as miscellaneous income. Please note a 1099 MISC will only be issued if your total miscellaneous income from Citibank and all its sources is $600.00 or more. That includes not only redeemed ThankYou Point Value but miscellaneous income from cash or other items of value other than interest.

For any other specific information regarding your Form 1099 MISC, please consult with a tax advisor."
Old Feb 20, 2014, 5:59 am

I redeemed 132k & 285k ty points in 2012 & 2013, respectively, but didn't received 1099. However, received 1099 misc when I got ty points for opening a citi chking act while ago.
Old Mar 11, 2014, 8:04 pm

1099-misc from Citibank for thank you points use

Extra data point for those who are interested.

Got hit with a 1099-misc from Citibank for Thank You redemptions in 2013 for $619. This, of course, is just barely over the $600 redemption threshold that triggers the 1099-misc. According to the TY folks, they have the exclusive job of determining the value of a redemption, but it is supposedly one cent per point for travel redemptions. All TY redemptions in a calendar year apply towards the $600 reporting threshold. They didn't make a distinction between where the points came from.

I asked to challenge Thank You's valuation of the redemptions I received. Specifically, a hotel stay that they valued at $400 was absurdly inflated. Unsurprisingly, there is no official way to challenge the valuation.

Luckily, I'm a Citi-gold member so after, an hour on the phone, I got a Citi-gold supervisor to conference in a Thank You rewards supervisor and they ultimately offered to give me a statement credit for the extra taxes I would have to pay due to the 1099-misc.

Bottom line don't redeem TY points for big travel if you don't want the tax hit. I sure won't in the future.

But if you're stubborn enough and have a reasonable challenge to TY's valuation of a redemption, you may be able to get a statement credit to offset the tax hit.
Old Mar 11, 2014, 8:50 pm

Programs: UA PLAT, TK GLD, Hilton Diamond, IC PLAT, SPG GLD, Marriott GLD
wow..

a difficult and confusing program makes that they have managed to make completely useless
Old Mar 12, 2014, 7:36 am
Moderator: Chase Ultimate Rewards

Programs: UA 2P, MR LT Plat, IHG Plat, BW Dia, HH Au, Avis PC
Originally Posted by kanviction
All TY redemptions in a calendar year apply towards the $600 reporting threshold. They didn't make a distinction between where the points came from.
In the past, the TYP system has carefully tracked the source of points and only issued a 1099 when points were earned from banking products. This follows IRS guidance, as credit card points are considered a rebate, not income.

I've moved your posts to MilesBuzz, where the master thread on this topic lives. Hopefully the mods there will merge the threads and you can review the other recent experiences for comparison:

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/miles...all-banks.html
Old Mar 12, 2014, 3:02 pm

Programs: AA, UAL
But if you're stubborn enough and have a reasonable challenge to TY's valuation of a redemption, you may be able to get a statement credit to offset the tax hit.
Hmmmm...., if your redemptions this year and above credit adds up to $600 or more, you may have tax liability next year too :-)

Cheers!
Old Mar 15, 2014, 5:50 am
Original Member

Extra data point for those who are interested.

Got hit with a 1099-misc from Citibank for Thank You redemptions in 2013 for $619. This, of course, is just barely over the $600 redemption threshold that triggers the 1099-misc. According to the TY folks, they have the exclusive job of determining the value of a redemption, but it is supposedly one cent per point for travel redemptions. All TY redemptions in a calendar year apply towards the $600 reporting threshold. They didn't make a distinction between where the points came from.

I asked to challenge Thank You's valuation of the redemptions I received. Specifically, a hotel stay that they valued at $400 was absurdly inflated. Unsurprisingly, there is no official way to challenge the valuation.

Luckily, I'm a Citi-gold member so after, an hour on the phone, I got a Citi-gold supervisor to conference in a Thank You rewards supervisor and they ultimately offered to give me a statement credit for the extra taxes I would have to pay due to the 1099-misc.

Bottom line don't redeem TY points for big travel if you don't want the tax hit. I sure won't in the future.

You might want to examine some of the posts above about entering a negative amount labeled "FMV Prize Adjustment" on your Form 1040 right underneath where you entered the positive amount as income to match to what was reported on the 1099-MISC, if you feel such a treatment is justified.

I have never been a TY point participant, but I presume that the TY points have to be used as redemptions using a specified website such as Citi Travel, for instance. If Citi Travel has a hotel that it lists as $400 retail and you can get it for "free" by using 40,000 TY points that you earned by opening a bank account, and that exact same hotel room was available on Expedia for $150, you did not seem to get $400 of accession to wealth from the transaction.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.