[Consolidated] 1099s for miles & cash rewards from all banks

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

[Consolidated] 1099s for miles & cash rewards from all banks

Search this Thread

Old Jan 30, 2012, 8:55 am
Suspended

This may have been dealt with already in this thread and I apologize if it has, but why only checking/savings account bonuses trigger a 1099 and not credit card bonuses?
Old Jan 30, 2012, 9:00 am

Programs: UA, AA, BA, DL
Originally Posted by TroyMcClure
This may have been dealt with already in this thread and I apologize if it has, but why only checking/savings account bonuses trigger a 1099 and not credit card bonuses?
credit card bonuses are considered a rebate
Old Jan 30, 2012, 9:21 am

Senator says quit sending IRS notices on miles

SEN. BROWN CALLS ON CITIBANK TO END DECEPTIVE FREQUENT FLIER TAX PRACTICE

Despite IRS Guidance that Frequent Flier Miles are Not Taxable, Citibank is Sending 1099 Forms to Consumers Incorrectly Stating that they Must Pay Taxes on Frequent-Flier Miles Earned by Opening Checking and Savings Accounts

WASHINGTON, D.C. – Following reports that Citibank is sending 1099 tax forms to customers who received frequent-flier miles as a reward for opening a checking or savings account, U.S. Sen. Sherrod Brown (D-OH) urged Citibank CEO Vikram Pandit to end this gratuitous practice. The Internal Revenue Service (IRS) clearly stated that frequent-flier miles are not subject to income tax.

“Americans are pinching every penny to save for a flight home from college or visit an ailing relative,” Brown said. “The last thing Citibank should be doing is creating baseless fear in middle class families, or placing a nonexistent tax burden on the backs of families who are already struggling to make ends meet.”

In a letter to Pandit, Brown asks why Citibank is sending 1099 forms to its customers and calls on the company to halt the practice.

Citibank has interpreted a rule requiring individuals to report rewards and prizes as taxable income, calculating the value of each frequent flier mile as 2.5 cents of taxable income. A 2002 ruling from the IRS clearly states that frequent-flier miles are not taxable income.

Full text of the letter is below.

January 30, 2012

Mr. Vikram Pandit
Citibank
399 Park Avenue
New York, NY 10043

Dear Mr. Pandit:

As Chairman of the Senate Banking Subcommittee on Financial Institutions and Consumer Protection, I write to express my concern regarding recent reports that Citibank is sending 1099 tax forms to customers who received frequent-flier miles as a reward for opening a checking or savings account.

During these challenging economic times, middle-class families are pinching pennies to help pay for the cost of a flight to fly home from college, visit an ailing relative, or see friends. To some, signing up for a bank account in exchange for frequent-flier miles to help make a trip more affordable is an offer that is too good to resist. However, your actions are leaving working families with the seemingly incorrect impression that when they rack up miles, they are hiking up their taxes, too.

Citibank arbitrarily calculates the value of each frequent flier mile as 2.5 cents of taxable income. Based upon its incorrect interpretation of a rule requiring individuals to report rewards and prizes as taxable income, Citibank has been sending its customers 1099 tax forms to report their frequent-flier miles. A spokesperson stated that the bank is following instructions from the 2012 Internal Revenue Code, and that income tax must be paid if at least $600 in “prizes and awards” is received. These miles are neither a prize nor an award.

Furthermore, the Internal Revenue Service (IRS) has made clear that frequent-flier miles are not taxable income. In a ruling made in 2002 – which still stands – the IRS highlighted that frequent-flier miles are not subject to income tax due to the “numerous technical and administrative issues relating to these benefits.” Furthermore, the IRS stated that it “will not assert that any taxpayer has understated his federal tax liability by reason of the receipt or personal use of frequent-flier miles or other in-kind promotional benefits attributable to the taxpayer’s business or official travel.”

Most importantly, given the IRS’s ruling, why is Citibank sending its customers 1099 tax forms? Reporting frequent-flier miles as taxable income is inconvenient to consumers, raises their anxiety unnecessarily, and is not required by law.

I urge Citibank to halt this practice. The last thing Citibank should be doing is creating baseless fear in middle class families, or placing a nonexistent tax burden on the backs of families who are already struggling to make ends meet.

Thank you for your consideration of this matter.

Sincerely,
Sherrod Brown
United States Senator
Old Jan 30, 2012, 9:25 am

I'm not sure what others are doing with their 1099's they get, but when I file my taxes, I plan on sending a copy of the IRS ruling in along with the 1099-MISC that i get from Citi and tell them this is why i did not include it on my taxes. To me, they now have proof of why it is not showing, as opposed to just ignoring it. Will it help and not get me audited? Who knows, but i figure it is worth a try.
Old Jan 30, 2012, 9:33 am

Programs: DL Gold
On one hand, it's nice to see someone with a loud enough microphone make a stink about this.

On the other hand, it doesn't inspire confidence in our elected leaders when they completely misinterpret and misstate the 2002 IRS statement clearly entitled, "Frequent Flyer Miles Attributable to Business or Official Travel."
Old Jan 30, 2012, 9:37 am

Programs: AA,DL,BA,UA,SPG, and any other free trip!
finally....a politician doin their job....serving the public ............hope this trend catches on with the other politicians..
Old Jan 30, 2012, 9:40 am
Original Member

Originally Posted by mrx900
finally....a politician doin their job....serving the public ............hope this trend catches on with the other politicians..
Either that, or Mr. Brown had opened a checking account for AA miles and received his Form 1099-MISC from Citibank in the mail this weekend
Old Jan 30, 2012, 9:52 am

Programs: Persona Non-Status, DYKWIA Club President, Formerly of Pa Kettle Fame
Originally Posted by Andy2
Either that, or Mr. Brown had opened a checking account for AA miles and received his Form 1099-MISC from Citibank in the mail this weekend
Haha, +1

In any case, good news for all.
Old Jan 30, 2012, 9:57 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: United 1K, JAL Sapphire, SPG Lifetime Platinum, National Executive Elite, Hertz PC, Avis PC
Pandit is a crook and facilitator of the financial meltdown - he should be in prison, not CEO of Citibank.

I still like the idea of everyone filing Small Claims cases against Citi - they would be out hundreds of thousands in legal fees just answering the suits even if they get dismissed.
Old Jan 30, 2012, 9:59 am

Hmmm, by any chance, is Mr. Brown a FT'er?
Old Jan 30, 2012, 11:21 am

Programs: Piggly Wiggly "Shop the Pig!" Preferred Shopper
Originally Posted by 2stepsbehind
credit card bonuses are considered a rebate
Yes, and special statutes and regulations apply to bank deposits that do not apply to credit card accounts.

Interestingly, though, Citi issued these 1099-MISCs on the ground that the miles were a taxable "prize or award" -- not taxable interest reported on a 1099-INT. There are lot of different and conflicting ideas floating around in this thread, but I doubt anyone here agrees that this is a prize or award.

The main debate here is whether this is taxable interest, and if so, what is the appropriate value for the miles.
Old Jan 30, 2012, 11:25 am

See this related thread:

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/miles...ces-miles.html

Here is the source:
http://brown.senate.gov/newsroom/pre...8-D81C8A591596

http://brown.senate.gov/imo/media/do...k%20Letter.pdf
Old Jan 30, 2012, 11:32 am

Originally Posted by swat16
Holy smokes! This is the chairman of a Senate Banking subcommittee! This story has left our geeky FT world and is now real news in the real world.
Old Jan 30, 2012, 11:36 am

Originally Posted by hotelmotel
On one hand, it's nice to see someone with a loud enough microphone make a stink about this.

On the other hand, it doesn't inspire confidence in our elected leaders when they completely misinterpret and misstate the 2002 IRS statement clearly entitled, "Frequent Flyer Miles Attributable to Business or Official Travel."
Perhaps it would have been too shocking and disorienting for the public if a politician had issued a statement that was completely accurate.
Old Jan 30, 2012, 11:43 am
Formerly known as CollegeFlyer

Programs: UA 1K MM, AA PLT, Hyatt Diamond, Marriott Gold, Hertz 5*
Very nice! ^
(But I wonder if Sen. Brown is misreading the 2002 IRS ruling..)

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.