Old Feb 21, 2011, 5:30 am

Programs: United MileagePlus Premier Silver/Hyatt Platinum
ua=10,000
aa=6,100
co=48
Old Feb 21, 2011, 8:57 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by FrAAmer
Wow -do I feel mileage poor....down to less than 300K on American and 100K in Starwood and Hilton - but how about another aspect to this thread-
where have you gone with your miles and points?

Rather than sit on mine - I have taken my family (all on points/miles) First Class to London (several times), Paris, Amsterdam, Milan, Rome, Florence (multiple times), Venice, Sorrento, Barcelona, Brussels, all over Turkey (multiple times), Greece, Cabo, Vancouver, Montreal, Toronto, Quebec, and have a week booked for Sydney in June and then back to London, Athens and Crete in September.

This does not take into count domestic family vacation travel such as Hawaii, Atlanta, San Francisco/Northern CA, New York, Washington DC, Boston.

I like to use my points/miles but still earn about 25K per month.
I'm mostly sitting on my miles because I have rare opportunities to get SWUs at AA (a year as EXP from DBEQM, then 2MM, then another year as EXP from LASF2), and since those are "free" upgrades that work from any fare, it makes little sense to use miles outright when I can find decently priced economy flights and use SWUs to get up to business class. So as long as I have several SWUs I have to use a year (or lose them), I mostly jsut earn. As soon as I hit a year with no more SWUs, I'll start burning fast instead.

Meanwhile, it all depends on fares domestically. If transcon is $250, I'll buy. But when it's $550 due to expected high demand or whatever, I use miles. I don't run into enough high-fares situations to burn my miles faster than I earn them that way, though...

So if I count SWUs, not just miles, I've had more award travel lately, but if I only count miles, I've had a trip to Norway last summer, and transcons during Christmas and this upcoming spring break (I'm not going for srping break, but that's why the fares are high the weekend I want to go!).
Old Feb 22, 2011, 1:37 pm

Location: Austin, TX -- AA Life Platinum; QF Life Silver; UA Silver
Delta: 402k
Qantas: 304k
USAir: 197k
British Airways: 155k
American: 126k
Continental: 49k
United: 20k
Lufthansa: 19k
Old Feb 22, 2011, 1:44 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA 1M
Originally Posted by hauteboy
Ouch!
Old Feb 22, 2011, 2:19 pm

Programs: 1K, Platinum Marriott, Platinum SPG, Platinum Priority, Chairmans Avis
I only have about 135,000. I just bought two first class round trip tickets to Japan for later this year. Whoohoo!
Old Feb 22, 2011, 2:25 pm

Programs: AAdvantage, United Mileage Plus
AA : 81,000
UA : 86,000
CitiMiles : 8100

Haven't flown since January '10. Get miles mostly from c/c puchases and AA's online shopping mall.

The initial goal was to use them for free flights to Australia or New Zealand in economy. But they've been growing faster than expected so I may be tempted to wait a little longer and try for biz or first.

Wouldn't try that if it were just coast to coast, but the 15 hours to Oz would go a lot faster with an upgrade.

CitiMiles is another (horror) story. Going the way of the dodo so I'll have to redeem them by October or lose 'em forever.
Old Feb 22, 2011, 3:00 pm

Programs: CO, DL, SW, SPG, CapitalOne Venture
Originally Posted by hauteboy
Qantas: 304k
USAir: 197k
British Airways: 155k
American: 126k
Continental: 49k
United: 20k
Lufthansa: 19k
Delta 313k
Cap1 92k
CO 48k
SPG 45k
US Air 4k
Old Feb 22, 2011, 3:17 pm

AA 408k
CO 77k
UA 54k
AMEX 51k
SPG 160k

Can't decide if this is impressive or pathetic
Old Feb 22, 2011, 3:21 pm

Programs: HH Diamond, Hyatt Globalist, Bonvoy Platinum
total for wife and I as i keep track of them all together on award wallet.

not bad for 2 people that don't fly more than twice a year
Old Feb 22, 2011, 3:37 pm
Marriott Contributor Badge

Programs: AA EXP, SPG Plat, Marriott Silver, HH Gold
Saving them for a rainy day...

CO = 204K
UA = 23K
DL = 63k
SPG = 108K
MR = 60K

Plenty of places to go... just not enough time!
Old Feb 22, 2011, 11:26 pm

Programs: AA, BA, WN CP, CO, AK, LH, DL, UA, VS, SPG, IHG, Hyatt, Hilton, Carlson, Fairmont Lifetime Plat
1.5 million -- Just need to find the time to go somewhere ...

As of August 2009 my wife and I had ZERO miles/points; we didn't even have a FF account! We rarely flew; no business trips, once every couple years for pleasure.

Then we started reading Ingy's site. Thru credit card bonuses and spend, bank bonuses, and the Mint we currently have the miles/points listed below. No BIS miles have been earned!

We have spent miles flying to Cabo, Chicago and Anchorage. We also gave 150K CO miles to family members to attend a family reunion and redeemed 220K Delta miles for $2K in gift cards.

We've used Expedia BRG $50 coupons a few times and have some cashback from BigCrumbs.

We hope to travel again soon

Current balance for my wife and I -- 1.5 million miles/points:

AA - 452K
SPG - 195K
CO - 333K
BA - 220K
DL - 171K
MR - 114K
PC - 72K
LAN - 21K
UA - 11K
Other miscellaneous
Old Feb 23, 2011, 6:18 am

Programs: DL PM, AA Gold, A3 Gold, WN CP, and lots of points everywhere.
Figures include my wife (and from memory):
DL: 350k
UA: 18K.
CO: 90K.
AA: 350k.
BA: 70k.
WN: 2 standard awards.
SPG: 100k
MR: 20k
Vouchers: ~$1400.

Just used a ton of my BA miles and companion voucher for a big trip in November and several personal trips already booked. Approximately 150k miles pending (mostly AA).

With hotels still to book for the trip in November, I better get back to replenishing the accounts.
Old Feb 24, 2011, 6:11 pm

Programs: All of them!
American--60,000
Continental--50,000
USAirways--55,000
Delta--213,000
Hilton--288,000
Marriott--23,000
AMEX--60,000
KrisFlyer--66,000
Icelandair--20,600
Old Feb 25, 2011, 8:30 am

cosi rewards = 25 flatbread pizzas
dominos rewards = 31 large pizzas
Fridays rewards = $122 bonus bucks
Esprit account = $530 in gift cards
Express = $1200 in gift cards + multiple 70% off coupons
Macys 40% cashback for life
Nordstrom $1000 in gift cards
Old Feb 25, 2011, 8:51 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA ltg, B6, DL, UA, AS, SPG/Marriott Plt, HH, Hyatt
Talking

Well for me, I gots miles that I have already listed, and I also gots restaurant and store promo cards and other online promos:

Sylvan Street Grille:
They wont let you add rewards from a receipt after the transaction. Bummer, since I had been able to do it before! Must be a new manager. I had stopped in one afternoon with a receipt from a week prior and they said no. It has to be the same day. So in the end, I have only remembered to show my card twice and have like 38 points or something

PF Changs:
They said they would give a 10% discount when you eat there and sign up for their Warrior Card but our overly busy waiter forgot to do it, so we left thinking we could deal with it later, and then we went to another location a few weeks later and had reservations (you def need them there!) but they were so backed up they told us we had to wait an hour so we went somewhere else. Later, I wrote a brief note into the manager there asking if he could explain the reservation problem and fix it--was looking more for just a brief note saying sorry and not much else, and also while he was at it, please add that 10% and we will come soon. He never replied. A month went by, so I sent it to corporate and other month went by. Well, the food's good but a bit fattening, and so screw 'em --they obviously don't want our business.

Qdoba Mexican Grill:
They made new reward cards and in the end you are supposed to merge the old card into a new one they give you there, and when I tried to do what the web site said on how to merge them it got all messed up so I stopped into a store and a manager came to look at what I had printed out and my two cards. he could do nothing at that moment so I gave him everything and asked him to fix and mail. That was 3 weeks ago. Screw em. My wife liked their burritos but I can make better MEX food for her at home!

MyPoints:
I have just shy of 6,500 points. That's a boat load of constant clicking and yes I did even participate in a very few promos... ones I do anyway. Those often dont post so I avoid them. Once I reach 7k I will redeem them for some store card for my wife. She likes the GAP and other such stores for the kid's clothing.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.