Old Jan 27, 2011, 8:25 am

Programs: DL, BA, AA, UA, HHonors, PC
Am I the only one that also checks (along w the above listings):

www.frequentflier.com
www.webflyer.com
Old Jan 27, 2011, 8:29 am

Programs: AA Lifetime Platinum 3mm, Starwood Gold
Originally Posted by LizzyDragon84
No, it was for adding authorized users to the SPG credit card. I felt a bit silly when I read that for not figuring that out myself.
Could not find the sign up bonus offer. Is it done through AMEX or SPG?

Found it at freefrequentflyermiles.com thanks

Last edited by jw3putt; Jan 27, 2011 at 9:43 am Reason: New info
Old Jan 27, 2011, 8:33 am

Programs: DL DM, AA ExPlt, Diamond HH, HY, BW, & Titanium Elite Marriott
Originally Posted by pnwd00d
Or maybe they are someone who is genuinely interested in FT's content and have been hanging out here for several weeks (note my join date well before Travel Cartel's release). Or maybe they are a person who generally avoids post padding in forums just so they can have street cred with someone else.
Or maybe if frogs had wings..........
Old Jan 27, 2011, 8:41 am

Programs: Virtuoso
I found the AONC before I knew about Flyertalk. I can honestly say it was because of Chris G that I found Flyertalk and most of the travel blogs I now follow, many of which have been mentioned in this thread already. He actively promotes others who focus on travel deals.

I do not think a regular FT member/follower should sign up for his program. I did the 14 day trial to check it out. So far, what I have seen is all information I have seen on various other travel sites.

With that being said, if someone wants to follow just one site, I can see where the Travel Hack Cartel would be useful to them. I personally have decided not to renew the subscription as I get the information elsewhere.

I will say that once you have the membership, the information is laid out in a really, really easy to follow format.
Old Jan 27, 2011, 8:58 am

Programs: AA Plat,PC Plat, HHonors Gold
$468 can take you pretty close to UA 1K with intelligently booked flights
Old Jan 27, 2011, 9:44 am

Programs: DL DM, AA ExPlt, Diamond HH, HY, BW, & Titanium Elite Marriott
Originally Posted by kyunbit
Please do share!!!
Old Jan 27, 2011, 10:07 am

Programs: *G, SPG, OW Sapphire
Originally Posted by kyunbit
If true, please explain!
Old Jan 27, 2011, 10:29 am

First, since this is only my 2nd post on Flyertalk, let me say hello. Glad I found you.

My journey to acquire (then spend) miles began a few weeks ago and over the course of the past 3 weeks I've been reading most of the sites mentioned in this thread, Chris's AONC site and others (like credit card review sites). It was an immersive process and I just feel like I'm finally coming up to speed.

I joined the Cartel because I want to get as much knowledge (and miles!) as I can in:
  • The most basic "layperson" terms
  • With the least amount of effort
  • In the shortest period of time

to help meet my travel goals.

The information is well organized and presented in small digestible videos and articles. Do I recommend it for people who already have 500K miles, elite status, etc? No, you guys have already conquered this game - and I'm thankful you share your learnings here. Hopefully I'll be able to contribute my knowledge to the conversation at some point in the very near future.

As a person who consults for a living, I can appreciate that Chris created a business model that capitalizes on the knowledge he's acquired through all his traveling and miles accruals. The Cartel will just have to prove to be a value for me as I start gaining more knowledge.
Old Jan 27, 2011, 10:44 am

Originally Posted by mabell4428
I can appreciate that Chris created a business model that capitalizes on the knowledge he's acquired through all his traveling and miles accruals. The Cartel will just have to prove to be a value for me as I start gaining more knowledge.
Sorry but he probably acquired his "knowledge" of certain deals from this website and the travel blogs already mentioned. Glad you feel happy for what you paid for, but you could have gotten for free with the websites mentioned and you will probably get the "newest" deals days before it is posted on the Cartel by reading those websites.
Old Jan 27, 2011, 10:45 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by mabell4428
As a person who consults for a living, I can appreciate that Chris created a business model that capitalizes on the knowledge he's acquired through all his traveling and miles accruals. The Cartel will just have to prove to be a value for me as I start gaining more knowledge.
This is the only part I have a small beef with. When a decent chunk of the tips are "Go read this thread on FT" then are you really getting value for that cash paid? On top of that, at nearly $500/year the tips for 100K RDMs don't seem like a worthwhile investment to me.

Welcome to FlyerTalk!!
Old Jan 27, 2011, 10:52 am

Programs: AA, UA, NWA, SPG, HH
Could anyone post something from the cartel that WASN'T posted on FT previously?
Old Jan 27, 2011, 11:00 am

Originally Posted by doubled79
Could anyone post something from the cartel that WASN'T posted on FT previously?
So far, I'm not really seeing anything that hasn't been blogged or on FT somewhere. Like others have said, this product isn't really for the FT crowd. It's for the folks who don't know better and want to find all their info in one easy to understand spot.
Old Jan 27, 2011, 1:32 pm

Originally Posted by gerald5
I have a feeling the people with 1 post count above are spam from Travel Cartel.... maybe we should move the thread over to SPAM?
I mean this is part of the reason something like this cartel will appeal to people. Someone who is simply bringing up a point gets shot down as spam simply because they don't have years worth of posts. This forum is very advanced in it's knowledge base, but it's unfavorable to new users who do not know all the lingo or have long track records.

I have used this site for years, but never commented before this week, and there's a reason why. Also, I could never really tell someone who is not an advance travel hacker to come to this site. They would be buried under the mile long threads and acronyms.

I am just saying, just because someone is offering a service that is of no value to advanced users like yourselves, is no reason to shoot it down as worthless.
Old Jan 27, 2011, 1:44 pm

Originally Posted by Othernel
I have used this site for years, but never commented before this week, and there's a reason why. Also, I could never really tell someone who is not an advance travel hacker to come to this site. They would be buried under the mile long threads and acronyms.

I am just saying, just because someone is offering a service that is of no value to advanced users like yourselves, is no reason to shoot it down as worthless.
That's why there are blogs and digital books like the Frugal Travel Guy put out for $6. If you want to fork out that kind of money each money and think you are getting good value out of it... not that big of a deal. People are just pointing out that a google search will bring up the blogs that will give you the info for free. The argument is that you are paying to do what otherwise might be a free deal. Flyertalk is a great place to go after you've found out about a deal and want to learn about the experiences of people who have done the deal or that are doing the deal.
Old Jan 27, 2011, 1:58 pm

Programs: HHonors Diamond, Hyatt Diamond
Originally Posted by thepointsguy
All things I've covered (along with other bloggers like Gary and Lucky)for free on my blog in the past week or so. What is it they say about imitation?
PC Surveys
FedEx deal
Hilton Status

If people don't have time to cruise FT all day and check blogs, you can easily sign up for RSS feeds so you get daily emails with key posts from good travel blogs.
Thanks i did not know about the 300 points for the survey. just got them now and they have already posted to the account. best yet i just saved 39 bucks, thanks again

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.