Wiki Posts
Search

Expert Flyer vs. KVS Tool

Search this Thread

Old Jan 1, 2011, 4:02 pm
Original Poster

Programs: UA GS, AS 75K, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Platinum
Expert Flyer vs. KVS Tool

I currently have the KVS tool and am contemplating getting ExpertFlyer. I don't fly very often and predominantly use the KVS tool when planning award trips. Is it worth paying $100 a year for ExpertFlyer or should I stick with KVS?
Old Jan 1, 2011, 5:28 pm

Programs: QF WP, AC*G
I currently use KVS (buying 2 months when I need it) and have used the expert flyer trial. I personally prefer the way KVS works though there are benefits (like the 7 day lookup) to EF.
Old Jan 1, 2011, 9:52 pm
In Memoriam, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Alaska MVP Gold 75K, AA 3.8MM, UA 1.1MM, enjoying the retired life
I'd try a free trial of Expert Flyer and decide whether it meets your needs. I store a lot of itineraries on it, and have used the feature that alerts me when award seats open up (recently used that for an Australia trip). You could always start with the $5 a month plan and upgrade if you wanted to try it out for a longer time. Doesn't have as many features, but will give you a good start if you need more than a free trial.

You might also review this thread:
ExpertFlyer.com - Master Information and Updates Thread
Old Jan 2, 2011, 4:56 am

Programs: AA EXP
If you are using these tools for award travel I would also recommend checking out Award Nexus. There are still some things KVS and EF do better (and I still pay for both) but Award Nexus has become my primary tool for award planning.

Here is the thread:
Star Alliance/Oneworld Award Planning with Award Nexus

Last edited by Brian_D; Jan 2, 2011 at 4:58 am Reason: added link
Old Jan 2, 2011, 5:33 am

Programs: SPG Gold, AA, USair, United, Amex MR, ICHC, HHonors Silver
i've had pretty much the same thoughts as you. i have kvs and i only use it for award travel, which i dont do that often. the two things i've felt were the most lacking in kvs compared to ef (not that i'm any sort of expert) is the ability to check many days at a time (which you could almost work around by just opening up multiple kvs windows at once, though it is a pain), and finding the "hidden" C class avail on aa (suw from economy to business). i've found award nexus to be an excellent compliment to kvs, as it allows checking 7 days at a time. so for me i haven't found enough reason to try ef. to each their own.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.