Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > MilesBuzz
Reload this Page >

Reliant or Energy Plus AA and UA offers (CT, MD, NJ, NY, PA and TX) [Consolidated]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Reliant or Energy Plus AA and UA offers (CT, MD, NJ, NY, PA and TX) [Consolidated]

Search this Thread

Old Dec 31, 2010, 4:47 pm

7,500 AA miles for switching to Energy Plus, now 20K (CT, MD, NJ, NY, PA and TX)

Just received 7,500 miles for switching to Energy Plus for my electric bill via a direct e-mail from AA. Electric bill is now month to month (no commitment) and no fees (monthly or termination).

Not bad for some free miles! Anyone else see deals like this for other utilities?
Old Dec 31, 2010, 4:48 pm

Details on GENERALLY AVAILABLE program (guess mine was targeted?):

CT, MD, NJ, NY, PA and TX Residents: Earn AAdvantage Miles on Your Monthly Electricity Service

Energy Plus™ - one of the fastest growing energy suppliers - is offering you the exclusive opportunity to earn year-round unlimited AAdvantage miles on your electricity service.

By simply selecting Energy Plus, you can earn miles while still receiving the same reliable service from your local utility company. Sign up today and you'll enjoy:

5,000 bonus miles right from the start*
Year-round unlimited miles - 2 miles for every $1 you spend on the Energy Plus portion of your electricity bill*
No fees or long-term commitments
No service changes - your local utility will continue to safely deliver your electricity, read your meter and handle any emergencies
"The option to go green" - choose the Energy Plus green option when you sign up and support 100% wind generated power each and every month
Start earning miles and saving today!

Energy Plus is offering residents of Connecticut, Maryland, New Jersey, New York, Pennsylvania and Texas the chance to earn AAdvantage miles on your electricity. So, whether you're powering your home or business*, sign up to start earning year-round unlimited miles.

Contact Information
Phone: 1-866-964-5672

Missing Mileage Procedure
Allow 2 weeks after the close of each applicable utility billing cycle for AAdvantage miles to post to your account. To request missing miles, visit our Non-Air Mileage Credit section to contact this AAdvantage program participant. Be prepared to provide additional information such as AAdvantage number and your electricity statement.

Terms and Conditions
* AAdvantage members will earn 2 miles for every $1 spent on the Energy Plus portion of each electricity bill. 5,000 bonus miles will be awarded to AAdvantage members after two months of active service with Energy Plus. Promotional mileage and bonus offer only available to new Energy Plus customers. Currently only residential service is offered in Texas. Energy Plus reserves the right to discontinue or modify the program and other special offers cannot be combined with this offer. Additional terms and conditions may apply. Please allow 2 weeks after the close of each applicable utility billing cycle for miles earned to appear in your AAdvantage account. American Airlines AAdvantage program terms and conditions apply.

http://www.aa.com/i18n/AAdvantage/pa...yplus_addl.jsp
Old Dec 31, 2010, 4:49 pm
ffI

Programs: AA EXP2M, DL 1MM DM ext, UA PP <=> HH G/Marr PE/Hyatt G/IHG P FT RA ( Recovering Addict)
Welcome to FT! I got an offer for only 5000 miles. I am still thinking it over.
Old Dec 31, 2010, 4:53 pm

Looks like mine was targeted, but still a deal for miles with no fees or contracts.

http://www.aa.com/i18n/AAdvantage/pa...yplus_addl.jsp

CT, MD, NJ, NY, PA and TX Residents: Earn AAdvantage Miles on Your Monthly Electricity Service

Energy Plus™ - one of the fastest growing energy suppliers - is offering you the exclusive opportunity to earn year-round unlimited AAdvantage miles on your electricity service.

By simply selecting Energy Plus, you can earn miles while still receiving the same reliable service from your local utility company. Sign up today and you'll enjoy:

5,000 bonus miles right from the start*
Year-round unlimited miles - 2 miles for every $1 you spend on the Energy Plus portion of your electricity bill*
No fees or long-term commitments
No service changes - your local utility will continue to safely deliver your electricity, read your meter and handle any emergencies
"The option to go green" - choose the Energy Plus green option when you sign up and support 100% wind generated power each and every month
Start earning miles and saving today!

Energy Plus is offering residents of Connecticut, Maryland, New Jersey, New York, Pennsylvania and Texas the chance to earn AAdvantage miles on your electricity. So, whether you're powering your home or business*, sign up to start earning year-round unlimited miles.

Contact Information
Phone: 1-866-964-5672

Missing Mileage Procedure
Allow 2 weeks after the close of each applicable utility billing cycle for AAdvantage miles to post to your account. To request missing miles, visit our Non-Air Mileage Credit section to contact this AAdvantage program participant. Be prepared to provide additional information such as AAdvantage number and your electricity statement.

Terms and Conditions
* AAdvantage members will earn 2 miles for every $1 spent on the Energy Plus portion of each electricity bill. 5,000 bonus miles will be awarded to AAdvantage members after two months of active service with Energy Plus. Promotional mileage and bonus offer only available to new Energy Plus customers. Currently only residential service is offered in Texas. Energy Plus reserves the right to discontinue or modify the program and other special offers cannot be combined with this offer. Additional terms and conditions may apply. Please allow 2 weeks after the close of each applicable utility billing cycle for miles earned to appear in your AAdvantage account. American Airlines AAdvantage program terms and conditions apply.
Old Jan 1, 2011, 12:01 pm

I'm in CT and I've received this offer before. Did a little research on www.ctenergyinfo.com and found that there are a lot of suppliers who are willing to publish their rates and also state whether they are fixed or variable rate. Energy Plus appears on a separate list of "all suppliers" where rates are listed as "negotiable," though supposedly you can cancel at any time. If you search "energy plus complaints" you can find a lot of unhappy people. I'm no fan of CL&P and I'd love to have the miles, but I'd also like to hear from someone in my state who remained consistently happy with Energy Plus, or was easily able to take the miles and change to another supplier without a hassle. I want to believe, I'm just a little dubious.
Old Jan 1, 2011, 2:48 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AA, BA, UA, Spirit, Delta, PC Plat, SPG Gold, HHonors Diamond, Club Carlson Gold, Marriott Gold
FWIW and YMMV

I did switch to Energy Plus when they had this promotion about a year ago (I think it's ongoing) and I can tell you the cost of electricity where I live (Brooklyn NY) was TWICE - I kid you not - the cost of Con Edison. Having said that, when I called and complained they immediately gave me credit for the difference, promptly cancelled the account and returned it to Con Edison. They also sent my 7000 to AA as promised. So you will have to decide if 7K miles is worth a little hassle.

If you google Energy Plus you'll see those stories all over the place. They entice you with their miles offer and just hope you wouldn't look in the bill, but if you do and complain they don't put too much of a fight.
Old Jan 2, 2011, 12:36 am

Programs: HH Diamond, Hyatt Globalist, Bonvoy Platinum
I switched and switched back shortly thereafter. My own fault for not doing any research. RGE was about 5.5 cents per KW, energy plus was 13 cents
Old Jan 2, 2011, 5:53 am

Their rates vary, like the utility company, and they use this not to give you any info. I asked them by email 3 times point blank, for a specific rate on any 1 specific date in the past. They danced around the question each time citing variable rates...but I asked for one in the past. On the 3rd time I told them if they will not quote a rate then I will consider them non competitive and will not consider changing.

I never heard from them again.
Old Jan 2, 2011, 8:29 am

Is there a side-by-side comparison of the rates somewhere? I feel like that should be publicly available...
Old Jan 2, 2011, 4:25 pm

As I mentioned in post #5, for CT the rates for a large number of companies are at www.ctenergyinfo.com for the supplier companies that choose to disclose them. Apparently they don't have to and that's why, at least for CT, the rates for Energy Plus (and some other companies) are called "negotiable." I would assume that other states that offer generation supplier choice have the same information available. Your state department of public utilities probably either has the information on its website, or has the link to an independent website.
Old Jan 3, 2011, 8:10 am

I took the bait and switched. Then I got the bigest electric bill in my home ownership history. their rate magically jumped to 19c/kw vs coned's 11c. I called to complain and they issued me a insignificantly small refund. Unless you have a 2nd meter with maintenance only service, I would not switch...
Old Jan 3, 2011, 11:13 am

So far my electric rates are about 1% less than with PSE&G.

My bill calls it out. Delivery is still charged via my electric company.
Then my electric usage is priced out. Last month like $112. PSE&G has a sentence telling me my PSE&G electric would have been $118 or something.

So small discount so far (2 months in) and gotten miles per charge but not the 5000 bonus yet.

I may switch back as soon as I get the 5000 miles.
Old Sep 17, 2011, 3:58 pm

Programs: AA, BA, delta
I just got an offer for 12,500 miles. Is it worth switching for 2 months and then switching back, or does the headache overwhelm the value of those miles?

Edit: re-reading these responses and almost nobody was happy with the cost/benefit. I think I'll pass.

Last edited by ohnodapopo; Sep 19, 2011 at 8:36 pm
Old Sep 17, 2011, 4:25 pm

Programs: AA BA CO DL UA US
I got an offer for 15,000 AA miles. Thinking of switching but after reading a number of post here, I plan to pass.

EDIT: One way to view this offer is as if you're buying miles with an unknown price. Price might be negative (lower than your current provider) or positive (higher than your current provider). If and when I do need a bit of miles for a particular airline, then I'll re-consider Energy Plus.

Last edited by opus2002; Sep 17, 2011 at 4:39 pm
Old Sep 17, 2011, 7:39 pm

Programs: DL,UA
my monthly bills $35 since i joined mileage plus. i needed the miles and i got it now. watch your final bill, they increase the rates for your final bill when you call to cancel.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.