Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > MilesBuzz
Reload this Page >

Best credit card for a large purchase (20k)?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Dec 29, 2010, 5:26 pm
Original Poster

Depending on my credit limits I will be putting a lot on my card by years end.

On www.motozuma.com anyone here tried it?

Looking at my BA card...only 5k limit. will try a CL transfer but not sure if it'll post by years end.

best perks w/o a posting deadline ?

Last edited by vickh; Dec 29, 2010 at 9:33 pm
Old Dec 29, 2010, 9:19 pm

Programs: Hilton-Diamond Lifetime Platinum AA UA, WN-CP, SPG Gold.
I can put 20k on most of my CC, but have not found any car dealers that will let me put the full amount on there.

Put 5 or 10 on my wife's car, and wrote a check for the rest, MB held the car for a few days till the check cleared...
Old Dec 30, 2010, 3:35 am

Programs: AA Plat 2.8MM
Originally Posted by vickh
Depending on my credit limits I will be putting a lot on my card by years end.

On www.motozuma.com anyone here tried it?

Looking at my BA card...only 5k limit. will try a CL transfer but not sure if it'll post by years end.

best perks w/o a posting deadline ?
Can you help me understand what you are asking?

To me, the best credit card for a large purchase is the one that earns me the most or most valuable points/miles. For me, that would be the Asiana American Express Card, because it earns 2 miles, not one, per $ spent. To me, 40,000 Asiana miles added to my Asiana account is worth more than the value I would gain from spending that same $20K on a different card.

As for what your credit lines are, that is between you and your banks. You usually need a $20K+ credit line in order to be able to charge 20K to a credit card. What are you asking?
Old Dec 30, 2010, 3:41 am

Programs: BA Blue, AMEX BA PP
I haven't done it before, but i have read several times that people have prepaid to their card provider the amount they would like to charge, and then made the purchase. Is it possible for you to do that? I assume you will pay it off straight away anyway as the interest on a credit card would be enormous. As for which card...well that depends on you. For me it would be my BA PP AMEX.
Old Dec 30, 2010, 4:42 am
In Memoriam

Programs: aa plt 4.9MM LTAC
re prepaying on cc....both chase & citi have said that a credit balance doesn't allow a purchase larger than your cl.....if the vendor will make multiple charges, perhaps over a few days, it can be done....good luck

ps...the best cc for a large buy is 1 w/a cl larger than the price...
Old Dec 30, 2010, 4:47 am
Suspended

Programs: DL SM, UA MP.
Couple of years ago, I paid off a big tax bill in $20k charge increments on the SkyMiles Platinum Amex.

Ended up paying about $1200 in charges but got almost two 10k MQM mileage boosts from those charges alone.
Old Dec 30, 2010, 7:25 am

Programs: HHonors Gold, UAMP
Originally Posted by PeteTheBrit
I haven't done it before, but i have read several times that people have prepaid to their card provider the amount they would like to charge, and then made the purchase. Is it possible for you to do that? I assume you will pay it off straight away anyway as the interest on a credit card would be enormous. As for which card...well that depends on you. For me it would be my BA PP AMEX.
Its a GIANT red flag to do this and more then likely will cause a freeze and a termination of account. If you have credit balances that are small it shouldn't matter but if you try to have a credit balalnce of 15k+ it will prob get closed.

Also rarely will benefits of charging this amount will repay itself in rewards unless you are needing to hit a certain spending limit or you can earn MQM's.
Old Dec 30, 2010, 10:22 am

Programs: AA LT PLT, SPG Gold
Originally Posted by clacko
re prepaying on cc....both chase & citi have said that a credit balance doesn't allow a purchase larger than your cl.....if the vendor will make multiple charges, perhaps over a few days, it can be done....good luck

ps...the best cc for a large buy is 1 w/a cl larger than the price...
That is untrue, at least for Citi. I prepaid 250k and then made a purchase for that amount. Went through just fine.
Old Dec 30, 2010, 5:22 pm
In Memoriam

Programs: aa plt 4.9MM LTAC
Originally Posted by broadwayblue
That is untrue, at least for Citi. I prepaid 250k and then made a purchase for that amount. Went through just fine.
did you talk to citi about it prior to the prepay?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.