Wiki Posts
Search

Upgrade for Honeymooners

Search this Thread

Old May 27, 1999, 3:59 pm
Original Member
Original Poster

Upgrade for Honeymooners

I will be traveling to Hawaii on American in November. I made the reservations about 6 months ago becuase it fills up quickly. Unfortunately at the time I did not have enough miles for 1st class.

Is there any chance of getting a complimentary upgrade? I know there is no chance but just wondering if anyone had any luck.

I now have enough miles for 1st class but I will have to pay all sorts of fees to change now. Anyone know a way around these charges?
Old May 27, 1999, 4:53 pm
Original Member

Funny that you asked. I just called the Platinum desk to ask the exact same problem (honeymoon, Nov., Hawaii, PiP!).

The reply is that there is no official policy. But when you make reserv., ask your agent or AA to put a remark in the memo statement that you are a honeymooner. I think it may be up to the availability and the discretion of gate agent.

Anyone have more information on this?
Old May 27, 1999, 5:55 pm
Original Member

A quick comment on your situation. It sounds like you paid for your honeymoon trip. If you paid for the trip and now have enough miles to upgrade the paid fare, there is no charge -- call the AA desk, they will look at the availability and let you know if they can accomodate you. Then, request certificates for the upgrades, and on the day of departure, bring your tickets and certificates to the check-in counter and you will be all set.

If you are using awards tickets, you are right -- there would be fees -- but the fees may be worth it depending on the length of the trip.

--Jim
Old May 27, 1999, 6:05 pm
Original Member

Thanks for the information, Jim.
Old May 27, 1999, 8:38 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Hey, hey, hey! Kyklin! Are you holding out on us? Are you considering spending part of your honeymoon at the Party In Paradise!? Hey, why stop there? Why not get married during the PIP? We'll make time for you. What an experience! It would be a wedding to remember for sure! We could toss Mustard Pretzels instead of rice! Of course, your families might think that something's...well...a little...well, funny...about your Frequent Flyer friends.

And DCDeparting...any chance you might be over there during the period of Novemeber 4th - 9th?
Old May 28, 1999, 6:00 am
Original Member

Location: In protest of Flyertalk's uncalledfor censoring of my point of view, I cancelled my InsideFlyer subscription. So long, and thanks for everything.
Try to find yesterday's Dear Abby on-line somewhere, discussing honeymooning with one's in-laws.

Honeymooning with the likes of CATMAN, PREMEX, ONEFREEMAN, and the rest of us? I donno? Maybe not up there with sliced bread indoor plumbing as one of the worlds better ideas.
Old May 28, 1999, 9:55 am
Original Member

Down, boys, down!!

An upside of getting married in PiP is to convince other people that I am not the only person who is obsessed with flying and getting miles.

The downside is, well, as they say in New Yawk, "all youse".

Althought the details have not been worked in, count me in for 2 people in PiP!
Old May 28, 1999, 11:13 am
Original Member

Programs: CO Gold, AA Gold, HH Diamond, IC Plat Ambassador
Yeeeeeeeeeeeeeaaaaaaaaaaaa for Kyklin, party of two!!
Old May 28, 1999, 1:21 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

That's my boy! And Congratulations!
Old May 28, 1999, 2:05 pm
Commander Catcop

Since I posted a double message... I think if you are going on your honeymoon or anniversary or for a special occasion you should get an automatic upgrade. It's a very special time and you and your love deserve only the best and special service.

To avoid fraud -- the airlines can ask for a copy of the marriage certificate to verify the dates.

I rather give up a first class seat for a couple to be treated like royality then some snooty celebrity who can't afford their own private jet!

[This message has been edited by Catman (edited 05-28-99).]
Old May 28, 1999, 2:06 pm
Commander Catcop

Congratulations Kyklin!!! Remember it's your's and your lovely wife-to-be's wedding so you can marry with us or in a nice quiet location and THEN join us.

WOW! this could be the second Flyertalk wedding I've been to. I had a wonderful time with Marty & Rae's special day.

OMNI: as for my wedding: of course you can all come, if you don't mind cats marching down the aisle or beach or Red Carpet Lounge carpet!

------------------
MEOW! MEOW! MEOW!!!

Old May 28, 1999, 2:53 pm
Original Member

Programs: CO Gold, AA Gold, HH Diamond, IC Plat Ambassador
Catman -- does this mean your wedding is in the near future??
Old May 28, 1999, 5:03 pm
Original Member

Thanks all! The wedding is actually going to be in September. Come to think of it, I think it's the same day that Rudi's dropping in at SNA. Is Rudi coming in on the 9th or 19th? Darn, how am I going to tell Danielle that I have to leave early to meet the legendary Rudi!?

Hey, if any of "youse" know you are going to be in the LA area in on the 19th, drop me a note! We'll fit you in!
Old May 29, 1999, 12:33 pm
Original Member

Yes, if you are flying on paid tickets, have AA note in your reservation that you are honeymooners. Then, when you check-in, discreetly mention that you are honeymooners and ask the gate agent if they could do anything special. It is up to the discretion of the gate agent based on availability. A friend of mine got upgraded that way.

I'd also suggest this for the car rental, hotel, etc...Friends have gotten upgraded from compact to convertible and from garden room to a suite, that way!

Good luck!
Old May 29, 1999, 11:55 pm
Company Representative - Air Canada

Well, there is one problem though. Since AA is alliance with CP. They have a lot of Platinum and Gold members. They usually have a lot of priority over upgrades.

However, AA and CP agents are very nice compared to UA!!! So, just ask at the gate or check-in. If there are seats and it is really your honeymoon. You are almost 100% upgraded.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.