Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Use the Miles or Keep Paying for the tickets

Search this Thread

Old Nov 16, 2010, 12:48 am
Original Poster

Use the Miles or Keep Paying for the tickets

I am UA 1k this year and will be 1P next year. My wife and I have accumulated over 1 million miles between us. I am thinking that for 2011 we should forget about requalifying for elite again and use up the miles. One factor to consider is that while I am in good health, I am 75 years old and my mortality is hitting me in the face. Suggestions or ideas?
Old Nov 16, 2010, 12:59 am

Programs: Freelancer
Use those miles to treat yourself and your wife to a great experience. Life is about being happy. Use your money (miles) to be happy. 'Nuff said.
Old Nov 16, 2010, 1:29 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I would book tickets while you are 1k so you can avoid paying ticketing fees.
Old Nov 16, 2010, 2:17 am
In Memoriam

Programs: aa plt 4.9MM LTAC
i/we are in the same situation as you.... we have about the same number ofrdms left as you, but spread over 4 programs....

our problem is finding availability on what we want....also, we don't travel as much, because of less mobility....

so, when there is a chance to use the mi's, we take it...

the rdm value continues to erode, and with copays prevalent and going up, i would like to use them...

my advice would be to spend the mi's when the opportunity occurs....

good luck.....
Old Nov 16, 2010, 3:44 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA ltg, B6, DL, UA, AS, SPG/Marriott Plt, HH, Hyatt
My rule is:

Under $250-300, pay for ticket.
Over $250=300 use miles.

That is, unless it's some island hopper that costs like 5-15k miles and you might be able to burn that many from some airline account where that's like all you got.

MM
Old Nov 16, 2010, 5:37 am
In Memoriam

Programs: ua prem exec, Former hilton diamond
I agree and I disagree.

Yes you should start using the miles. There's no real point in having them if you never plan on using them.

But I totally disagree with skipping the elite thing. You may not need the highest level of elite, but you need something to get economy plus, early boarding, economy plus, free luggage, economy plus, priority checkin and security, etc.

I would start blowing them on upgrades on flights that you can't easily upgrade on, buy lounge access, etc.
Old Nov 16, 2010, 7:04 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Massachusetts, USA; AA Plat, DL GM and Flying Colonel; Bonvoy Platinum
Originally Posted by cordelli
...But I totally disagree with skipping the elite thing. You may not need the highest level of elite, but you need something to get economy plus, early boarding, economy plus, free luggage, economy plus, priority checkin and security, etc...
In general, I'd agree with this, but the OP is referring specifically to UA. With them, you can get about as much of this as you'd get with first-level elite (2P) for IIRC $425 for an annual Economy Plus subscription. One subscription will cover both of them. That's a lot cheaper than even 25K worth of paid tickets for one person, let alone the 50K that you'd need for elite benefits to become more meaningful.

(At 68, with 1MM AA, 400K DL and 130K BD miles in the bank, we're grappling with the same issues. We redeemed 200K on AA this past summer for two J seats BOS-CDG and back. Definitely worth it. Last week we paid for BOS-MIA and back; fares were low, so it wouldn't have been worth 100K+ miles to save the money.)
Old Nov 16, 2010, 8:05 am
In Memoriam

If I'm not mistaken, all the $425 option gets you is seating in the Economy Plus section of the plane. You don't get the priority check in, you don't get luggage fees waived, you are not eligible for free upgrades, etc.

Premier Associate is a different program, which you can not buy, it's invitation only and will get you most of those things.
Old Nov 16, 2010, 8:32 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by cordelli
I agree and I disagree.

Yes you should start using the miles. There's no real point in having them if you never plan on using them.

But I totally disagree with skipping the elite thing. You may not need the highest level of elite, but you need something to get economy plus, early boarding, economy plus, free luggage, economy plus, priority checkin and security, etc.

I would start blowing them on upgrades on flights that you can't easily upgrade on, buy lounge access, etc.
+1

Im also loaded with Miles but wont give up maintaining my 1K with UA. Ive used over 300k for free tkts besides purchasing the tkts for UA 1K again in '10

the question is how much it costs a person to maintain any level and what they will get (save $$wise) from it. Not getting free bags can be very costly! very quickly and no way would I want to know E+ is something I will have to pay for and if at all possible I dont want to sit in E- on any Carrier
Old Nov 16, 2010, 8:41 am
Suspended

Programs: DL SM, UA MP.
You codgers can gift some of those miles ... to me.

What happens if you pass away with a big balance? Can they be transferred to heirs in a will?
Old Nov 16, 2010, 9:23 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Massachusetts, USA; AA Plat, DL GM and Flying Colonel; Bonvoy Platinum
Originally Posted by wco81
...What happens if you pass away with a big balance? Can they be transferred to heirs in a will?
There are several threads on that here. In theory, they usually can't, but airlines vary in how strictly they enforce this.

It's impossible to generalize, since airlines differ. It can help if the miles are mentioned in the will. Some airlines charge a nominal fee ($50 or so) for the transfer.

People have suggested that it's easier to simply share your password with your heirs and let them impersonate you to claim rewards. That has two drawbacks: you have to keep the account active, while yours probably would be anyhow, and you can't combine those miles with yours. Still, it's another approach that's right for some. It can be the only answer if the airline won't let you transfer them after death.
Old Nov 16, 2010, 9:52 am
In Memoriam

If something were to happen to my wife, and I hope she would do the same, United would be one of the last people to know. I would access her account (or her mine) and just keep issuing rewards until there were no miles left.

United's official policy is

Accrued mileage and certificates do not constitute property of the member. Neither accrued mileage nor certificates are transferable (i) upon death, (ii) as part of a domestic relations matter, or (iii) otherwise by operation of law.

Though there have been many stories of people being able to transfer them upon proof of death and beneficiary for a one time fee. I'm going by they won't do it, so I'll just use them
Old Nov 16, 2010, 11:34 am

Programs: *G, SPG, OW Sapphire
I'm not sure how, but when my father died ~9 years ago my mother was able to write in to the airlines and get them transferred to her account. Of course, times may have changed and I don't have better info on how she actually went about doing it.

Back to the OP's question...I agree with those that say use the miles. You never know when something might happen keeping you from being able to travel anymore.
Old Nov 16, 2010, 1:09 pm

Programs: AS 100K, UA MM, AA MM, IC Plat Amb, Marriott Gold, Hilton Gold, Hyatt Explorist
I'm of the opinion that it's risky to accumulate that many miles in a single program. It's like having all your money in a single bank account: If something bad happens, you lose everything. And unlike a bank account, miles don't earn interest, and in fact they get devalued (and become worth less) from time to time.

Maintain status if you wish, but I'd start using the miles now!
Old Nov 16, 2010, 10:31 pm

Programs: UA 1K
I'd use the miles, not because I think it's risky to keep them but because, as the OP said, now seems like a good time. One can pay for just about everything with miles (though it makes sense for some things more than others). What about a RTW trip in first class if you have time?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.