FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   MilesBuzz (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/milesbuzz-370/)
-   -   UA credit card 50,000 miles bonus (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/milesbuzz/1147231-ua-credit-card-50-000-miles-bonus.html)

bmg42000 Jan 9, 2011 7:05 am

50K offer

Originally Posted by onthego15 (Post 15613778)
Some people get the 30K offer, some get the 50K offer. It seems to be United's choice, not ours.

I was getting the 30k offer until I got 500 miles for buying the pc game from the united shopping mall, after which I got the 50K offer (whch I took ) .

FrequentFlyer9000 Jan 9, 2011 8:14 am

Anyone have any luck getting two personal cards by applying back to back? Consequently, have any of those people had both sets of 50k miles post? Thank you.

chasely Jan 9, 2011 10:26 am

Originally Posted by bmg42000 (Post 15617584)
I was getting the 30k offer until I got 500 miles for buying the pc game from the united shopping mall, after which I got the 50K offer (whch I took ) .

I just tried this tactic as well. I'll report back on whether or not I got "upgraded" to the 50k offer. The game is $10 (though there may be cheaper ones). If this tactic works, definitely worth the extra 20k miles.

kamikazein Jan 9, 2011 11:38 am

I was seeing the 30k offer before I made the drugstore.com purchase for a 1k mile bonus. Now I'm seeing the 50k offer. But the annual fee is $95 :td:

Originally Posted by chasely (Post 15618637)
I just tried this tactic as well. I'll report back on whether or not I got "upgraded" to the 50k offer. The game is $10 (though there may be cheaper ones). If this tactic works, definitely worth the extra 20k miles.

hotelmotel Jan 9, 2011 8:41 pm

No expiration on the 50K offer. Wonder if I should try holding out for something better.

cruise603 Jan 9, 2011 10:19 pm

I have received the 50K email offer as well, but I had the Signature Visa last year, can I apply for the Select visa to get the 50K miles ?
thank you all.

skcorpio Jan 10, 2011 10:46 am

Originally Posted by chasely (Post 15618637)

which pc game were you guys getting in the mall?

bmg42000 Jan 10, 2011 6:23 pm

big fish games

Originally Posted by skcorpio (Post 15626126)
which pc game were you guys getting in the mall?

I went to bigfishgames and got wheel of fortune for 2 or 3 $. (I was going for the cheapest game )

Scottrick Jan 10, 2011 6:38 pm

My gf just got a 50K/no fee offer for the UA Select Visa as a newly minted 2P (just joined MP last year). I got the card last year at 30K/no fee, so I have to say I'm jealous, but it's a good card and I use it as my primary.

As for churning, I had a UA card a few years ago and dropped it after a year when they wanted to start charging a fee. Back then they were in on it and encouraged me to get a business card, but when I applied this time they wanted to know if I'd had a UA card before. I hemmed and hawed, and said, "No, I haven't had the Mileage Plus Select Visa before." Which is true.

Getting a CO card has been more difficult. I normally have excellent credit with a long history, but being a student my income is low. To add to that, my rent is extremely low because it's (A) cheap and (B) I live with my gf so I pay only 50% of cheap. I think stuff like that raises red flags with the computer algorithms and makes approval less likely. I have never been rejected for any card when I apply over the phone and can explain. Online, it's 50/50.

barelyelite Jan 10, 2011 7:07 pm

I got the 50k offer and am thinking about applying. However, I just applied and was approved for the Chase CO OnePass card last month. Any thoughts as to how long I need to wait, if at all, before I apply for this one? I've acquired two or three other cards over the last few months, if that makes a difference.

Thanks in advance.

onthego15 Jan 10, 2011 7:19 pm

Originally Posted by barelyelite (Post 15629901)
I got the 50k offer and am thinking about applying. However, I just applied and was approved for the Chase CO OnePass card last month. Any thoughts as to how long I need to wait, if at all, before I apply for this one? I've acquired two or three other cards over the last few months, if that makes a difference.

Thanks in advance.

Last Spring I got the MP and OP cards a month apart. YMMV

tulalit Jan 12, 2011 5:29 pm

The url didn't work for me, but after I've logged at UA.com in there's an ads for 50K offer.

onefatsurfer Jan 13, 2011 8:34 am

so, i was approved for the card after having a regular united MP visa last year and cancelling a couple months ago. 50k on the first card, and i applied through the 50k link on this one, too. i'll let you guys know in a couple months if i get the 2nd 50k or not. after this, i'm gonna stop churning cards since my credit score has dropped ~20 points because of opening 4 cards in the past year, and i'm going to start looking for houses in probably 1-2 years... gotta give the score some time to recover!

travelpye Jan 13, 2011 11:07 am

50k offer after Mileage Plus Dining bonus

I was getting the lower mile offer until I got the 1,000 mile registration dine bonus. Today I got the 50K offer, with annual fee not waived. I have no status with United, which may be why the fee was not waived on my offer.

I am looking ahead to an combining of CO and United miles, so I am glad to get the 50K in my United account so easily.

FrequentFlyer9000 Jan 13, 2011 11:36 am

Originally Posted by onefatsurfer (Post 15649750)
so, i was approved for the card after having a regular united MP visa last year and cancelling a couple months ago. 50k on the first card, and i applied through the 50k link on this one, too. i'll let you guys know in a couple months if i get the 2nd 50k or not. after this, i'm gonna stop churning cards since my credit score has dropped ~20 points because of opening 4 cards in the past year, and i'm going to start looking for houses in probably 1-2 years... gotta give the score some time to recover!

As far as I understand, the negative FICO impact of hard pulls only lasts for 12 months.