Community
Wiki Posts
Search

UA credit card 50,000 miles bonus

Search this Thread

Old Nov 12, 2010, 12:58 pm
Original Poster

UA credit card 50,000 miles bonus

Just got an email from united about this promo. I am just a regular member not elite or anything. $95/year and not free for first year. (I think. Nothing in my email mentioned about it)

Start packing for your next trip. A Mileage Plus® Select Visa® card from Chase will get you there faster.

Apply today and you'll earn 50,000 bonus award miles after spending your first $250.1 That's enough for two roundtrip Saver Award tickets within the continental U.S.2

Other benefits include:
Triple miles on eligible United® and Continental purchases3
Double miles on eligible gas, home improvement, grocery, dining, and Star Alliance® airline purchases3
1 mile per $1 spent on everything else3
5,000 anniversary bonus miles every year3
Up to 5,000 elite status miles (EQM) each year for purchases made at united.com®3
More ways than ever to use miles for travel and everyday activities. Explore all of your choices at mileageplus.com.
You'll get all this, including enough bonus award miles for two roundtrip Saver Award tickets, for a low annual fee of just $95.*

So can I get the miles then cancel the card? $95 for 50,000 miles seems sweet to me.
Old Nov 12, 2010, 1:05 pm

have got approved one card and denied one card in the past two months

so can I apply again?
Old Nov 12, 2010, 1:09 pm

Was there a link to the offer in your email that you can post here?

Originally Posted by IamHungry
Just got an email from united about this promo. I am just a regular member not elite or anything. $95/year and not free for first year. (I think. Nothing in my email mentioned about it)

Start packing for your next trip. A Mileage Plus® Select Visa® card from Chase will get you there faster.

Apply today and you'll earn 50,000 bonus award miles after spending your first $250.1 That's enough for two roundtrip Saver Award tickets within the continental U.S.2

Other benefits include:
Triple miles on eligible United® and Continental purchases3
Double miles on eligible gas, home improvement, grocery, dining, and Star Alliance® airline purchases3
1 mile per $1 spent on everything else3
5,000 anniversary bonus miles every year3
Up to 5,000 elite status miles (EQM) each year for purchases made at united.com®3
More ways than ever to use miles for travel and everyday activities. Explore all of your choices at mileageplus.com.
You'll get all this, including enough bonus award miles for two roundtrip Saver Award tickets, for a low annual fee of just $95.*

So can I get the miles then cancel the card? $95 for 50,000 miles seems sweet to me.
Old Nov 12, 2010, 1:26 pm

Programs: HH Gold, IHG Gold
Yes a link would be helpful if you have one.
Old Nov 12, 2010, 1:27 pm

Does anyone have experience with how quickly miles post?
Old Nov 12, 2010, 1:39 pm

Programs: US CP, DL GM, AA Plat
This email is targeted since you need an invitation code when you call. I assume they sent it to all new Mileage Plus members.
Old Nov 12, 2010, 1:40 pm
Original Poster

Sorry the link in my email got my account information embedded into it so I don't think I could share. And it is not like I can just delete my name and other info out of it.
Old Nov 12, 2010, 1:41 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by TAWS
This email is targeted since you need an invitation code when you call. I assume they sent it to all new Mileage Plus members.
This is not true, the new member part. I have been a member for at least 3 years.
Old Nov 12, 2010, 1:45 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Silver, Marriott Gold, Hilton Gold
miles would post at the closing of the first statement after $250 spend is reached. At least, based on how they posted for my SO.

As for churning, it can be done. You should read the T&C's of the card before doing it too quickly. They'll likely have something there about having the right to take back the bonus miles if you close the account within X number of months of opening it. Either 6 or 12, I think. Regardless, if you're going to pay the fee, you might as well at least keep the card till the end of year 1, just before they charge it again.

On the other hand, if you're getting it just to churn it, also be careful about what that can do to your credit rating. Many churn after a year, but I'm guessing churning within a couple of months of getting a new card would not be good for your FICO score.
Old Nov 12, 2010, 1:46 pm

Programs: HH Gold, IHG Gold
Oh well it is good to know this is out there anyway.

And to answer your question, as long as you wait 6 months before canceling you should be fine. You are correct $95 for 50K miles is pretty good. Assuming you can take a hard credit pull it is probably worth jumping on.
Old Nov 12, 2010, 1:49 pm

Originally Posted by emcampbe
As for churning, it can be done. You should read the T&C's of the card before doing it too quickly. They'll likely have something there about having the right to take back the bonus miles if you close the account within X number of months of opening it. Either 6 or 12, I think. Regardless, if you're going to pay the fee, you might as well at least keep the card till the end of year 1, just before they charge it again.
I've always thought it is better to cancel a card with an annual fee early on. If you wait a year to cancel, you would take a larger credit hit because that account is older (bringing down your avg credit length).
Old Nov 12, 2010, 1:51 pm

I got it too. I keep getting these United offers, keep applying, and Chase keeps rejecting me. Annoying.
Old Nov 12, 2010, 1:55 pm

Programs: SPG Platinum, Hyatt Diamond, Hilton Diamond, Intercontinental Platinum, AA Gold
it is targeted; i have replaced the last name and the zip code with XXXX below

http://link.p0.com/u.d?U4Gqa1kelhyrD...X&CONFIG_2ID=9
Old Nov 12, 2010, 1:58 pm

Originally Posted by cybaslacka
it is targeted; i have replaced the last name and the zip code with XXXX below

http://link.p0.com/u.d?U4Gqa1kelhyrD...X&CONFIG_2ID=9
FYI you forgot to replace the invitation code...
Old Nov 12, 2010, 2:37 pm

Originally Posted by mosu84
I got it too. I keep getting these United offers, keep applying, and Chase keeps rejecting me. Annoying.
+1 Me too.

What reason do you get for rejection?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.