Community
Wiki Posts
Search

i really want to know this

Search this Thread

Old Sep 27, 2010, 6:24 pm
Original Poster

i really want to know this

to the people who fly more than like 100k miles a year..what are your various jobs..please answer im younger and love traveling and i want to make a good career choice.
Old Sep 27, 2010, 6:43 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: DREAD Gold; UA 1.035MM; Bonvoy Au-197; PCC Elite+; CCC Elite+; MSC C-12; CWC Au-197; WoH Dis
Welcome to FT, khoridon!

Not all the 100K flyers fly on business. Some of us do it all out of our own pockets, so any job that pays well enough (and that you enjoy) would be good.
Old Sep 27, 2010, 7:07 pm
Original Poster

are you serious? 100k miles out of your own pockets..thats probably a hell of alot of money!!
Old Sep 27, 2010, 7:24 pm

Location: IAD, and sometimes OMNI/PR. Currently: not far from IAD, but home will always be SAN (not far from the "touch my junk and I'll have you arrested" Memorial TSA Check Point) even if I'm not there so much these days.
Programs: UA, CO, Calcifer Award for Mad Haiku Skillz
Read and learn, Young Grasshopper. Read and learn.

Welcome to FT!
Old Sep 27, 2010, 7:35 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: DREAD Gold; UA 1.035MM; Bonvoy Au-197; PCC Elite+; CCC Elite+; MSC C-12; CWC Au-197; WoH Dis
Originally Posted by khoridon
are you serious?
Both me and my wife.
Old Sep 27, 2010, 7:46 pm

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, National Executive
..what are your various jobs..please answer im younger and love traveling and i want to make a good career choice.
United States Army.

Flew 130K miles last year. 70% work, 30% play. (Not the norm for the majority)

If you let me refer you I get a bonus. PM me if interested.

No? Welcome to FT anyway!

Last edited by Gamecock; Sep 28, 2010 at 8:58 am
Old Sep 27, 2010, 8:12 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA*1K MM SK EBG LATAM BL
92,000 miles this year, all leisure travel, half of it on rewards in premium cabins.

Teacher. Gotta love all those school breaks. Getting paid while travelling

Dont get discouraged, most of these ultra-high flyers do so for work, and are not really travelling, just doing business, attending conferences, etc.

I really dont know how people do it pulling in 150,000 miles a year flying around the USA for work.... that must be very tiring.
Old Sep 27, 2010, 8:18 pm

Programs: AA ExP
are you serious? 100k miles out of your own pockets..thats probably a hell of alot of money!!
Not really. 100K mi = 5 20K trips to Asia = $1000 x 5 = $5000

The bigger problem for most people is enough time off work.

For the record, I'm a travel agent. I don't travel as much as some people here, but I often travel for free or very little when I do travel. I think I've been to 36 countries.
Old Sep 27, 2010, 8:26 pm
Original Poster

ohh so have an airline credit card that u get miles everytime u spend money on it?
Old Sep 27, 2010, 8:36 pm

Programs: AA ExP
ohh so have an airline credit card that u get miles everytime u spend money on it?
Was that directed to me? If so, yes, I do, but it's usually free incentive tickets from the airlines because I'm a travel agent that works for a specialty agency (we're the second largest in our niche in the US) that has special contracts with a number of different carriers--we direct a lot of business. For instance, Lufthansa gave my whole family (6 pax) tickets to Europe. South African Airways gave us 6 coach and 2 business class tickets to South Africa. (We didn't even get to use those, we gave them to some of our best customers.) Several years ago, I flew to Oman, UAE, and Israel on a free Northwest/KLM ticket. It also means that I keep my finger on the pulse of prices and snap up good deals, like last November I (and three friends) flew KE ICT-CNX//XIY-ICT for $700 a/i to visit some friends at both places (that was wholesale price, of course; most agencies would mark that up at least $100). Back in the day, we could fly anywhere on AD90s which was a deal where we flew standby for 10% of the cost of a full fare ticket, but no more. AD90s have morphed into AD50s or (rarely) AD75s. So now it's just a free ticket or two every once in a while when they're really interested in earning some extra business from us or making us happier or incentivizing us to increase our market share with them by a certain percentage.
Old Sep 27, 2010, 8:49 pm

Programs: BAEC Gold, AA PPro, Hyatt Globalist, Amex Plat
Originally Posted by Gamecock
Flew 130K miles last year. 70% work, 30% play.
Did you actually fly 130K miles last year? Or was a good number of that 130K a result of DBEQM?

There is a big difference between those the two...

Regards
Old Sep 27, 2010, 9:17 pm

Programs: DL, AA, UA, SPG
Originally Posted by Gamecock
United States Army.

Flew 130K miles last year. 70% work, 30% play.

If you let me refer you I get a bonus. PM me if interested.

No? Welcome to FT anyway!
I'm glad my tax dollars supported you in your travels. I know how fiscally responsible the military is.
Old Sep 27, 2010, 9:25 pm

Programs: DL PM
to the people who fly more than like 100k miles a year..what are your various jobs..please answer im younger and love traveling and i want to make a good career choice.
Be careful what you wish for. I love to travel too, but getting in an airplane and flying somewhere for your job isn't travelling, it's just a REALLY long commute - the novelty of which wears off surprisingly quickly.
Old Sep 27, 2010, 10:42 pm

Programs: DL DM MM, BIS 2.4MM, EK Gold, SQ Gold, Marriott Gold, HH Gold,
Originally Posted by runninaway
Be careful what you wish for. I love to travel too, but getting in an airplane and flying somewhere for your job isn't travelling, it's just a REALLY long commute - the novelty of which wears off surprisingly quickly.

I agree with this, especially when a lot more trips are turning into day turns and saving money without having to pay for the hotel. I have about 155,000miles BIS flown so far this year with another 20-30K left in me before December 31st; last year was over 210,000BIS. I can tell you that if it wasn't for the premium cabin travel and the knowledge that I have enough darn miles to go anywhere in the world whenevver I pleased (and can share these with the people I love), I would have found another profession.

I tell people, at the end of the day, its a fast moving metal tube. Even if your in the front end, its a sealed off metal tube traveling at 550MPH. Anything beyond this are just details.
Old Sep 27, 2010, 10:55 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: HH Diamond, Marriott Gold, IHG Gold, Hyatt something
I've flown 150-200k every year in recent memory. Usually there is some work, and then I sandwich in more time to relax. At least 180 days of relaxation per year.

I fly 80% in First class or Business class. Usually I find a very good fare, or a nice sale fare. This year about 60% are paid tickets, with 40% being award redemptions.

I prefer sub $1k biz class tickets, but you can't always find those. For my FC/Biz tickets this year (Intl), I've paid about $1400 on average. This includes one trip that I was able to use a NW SWU on. Coach tickets average out at $400 or so.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.