Reload this Page >

[EXPIRED] AA Citi / Citibank Card, 75K sign up bonus [read post #2 first]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

[EXPIRED] AA Citi / Citibank Card, 75K sign up bonus [read post #2 first]

Search this Thread

Old Nov 8, 2010, 1:42 pm

A system error has caused a delay in processing your application. Please try again later.

I keep getting that error every time I try on the new 75k offer...
Old Nov 8, 2010, 1:43 pm

Talking

Originally Posted by pianistat
Wonder if you signed-up using the old 75k offer and they told you is fine, did they say what are the spending requirements (the old was $1500 and the new is 4000)?

Good point. He said the spending requirement was $1500. They also said that the offer will come in writing with the card. If it comes with an expired offer, I will have to just show them the current offer and hope that works! I did specifically ask them if there was any expiration date associtated with the offer and he / she (I had Amex and VIsa cards) said that just the spending limit, that's all. Hope they are right...

Last edited by bholaladka; Nov 8, 2010 at 1:46 pm Reason: Added some more info
Old Nov 8, 2010, 2:23 pm

Originally Posted by nowornever
Anybody knows, if I cancel my AA Visa after 3 months since I opened it, will I get on the "churner list"? Should I wait 6 months before closing the card?
Thank you
Why do you want to close so soon? At this point in time there does not appear to be much advantage to closing so soon since it looks like for eligibility to get a new card they are going by the last opening date and not the closing date for denying for multiple accounts.

I don't think Citi has ever done a clawback where they try to get the points back if you close the card right away, so not much concern with losing the points. Just does not appear to be any benefit to closing if you can't get another one until about a year past your opening date of this one.
Old Nov 8, 2010, 2:38 pm

Originally Posted by ddallas
Why do you want to close so soon? At this point in time there does not appear to be much advantage to closing so soon since it looks like for eligibility to get a new card they are going by the last opening date and not the closing date for denying for multiple accounts.

I don't think Citi has ever done a clawback where they try to get the points back if you close the card right away, so not much concern with losing the points. Just does not appear to be any benefit to closing if you can't get another one until about a year past your opening date of this one.
Thank you for your reply.
Is there any way I can get another 75K if I apply in February before offer expires? I currently have 75K and 100K personal cards. Can apply for Business I guess. Wonder if I have any chance to get another card.
Thanks
Old Nov 8, 2010, 3:00 pm
Original Member

40,000 mile offers

There are also 40,000 mile American Airlines miles credit card offers from Citibank. These one require spending $1,000 on the card in the first 4 months. It will be interesting to see if those who were rejected for the 75,000 mile offer because they had an AA card before get accepted for the 40,000 mile offer. Please report your experience here. Thanks.

Personal Card
Business Card
Old Nov 8, 2010, 3:35 pm

Originally Posted by nowornever
Thank you for your reply.
Is there any way I can get another 75K if I apply in February before offer expires? I currently have 75K and 100K personal cards. Can apply for Business I guess. Wonder if I have any chance to get another card.
Thanks
Based on posters reports in this thread, many who received the personal visa and amex were then able to get the visa business if they waited 60 days from the last app.
Old Nov 8, 2010, 4:01 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by cyncyn129
I just applied online for the Visa Signature using the link provided. At the end of the application, it said they needed more information. Chated with an agent online and was instantly approve! ^ Pretty low limit tho - only $2,000. I confirmed the 75,000 miles after $4,000 spend in 6 months.

I already have a Citi AA MC and Citi AA Amex. Last one was AA Amex, which I got in Sept 2009. I had applied for the 75,000 AA miles Visa offer that expired on Oct 31 and was denied because I was already a Citi customer. Not sure why this one worked, but it did!
May be the much higher spending requirement, 4K vs 1.5K helped the case?

What did they say? Dont look a gift horse in the mouth? Count yourself lucky and enjoy the miles!

BTW, when was you last denial, i.e. the old 75K offer?
Old Nov 8, 2010, 4:03 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by ddallas
Hit and miss. Posters report different results.

If you currently have a personal Visa but have not had a business visa in the last year, you could probably be approved for the business visa.

If you have had your Citi aadvantage personal Visa for longer than 12 months, you might get the personal amex. If you have only had your visa card a few months you are more likely to be declined. YMMV.

From reading the thread my impression is that as long as you have not applied for and received an aadvantage card in the last 12 months or so, and as long as you are not on some kind of citi internal churner list, then you have a good chance of being approved. That's my guess.
I agree with your summary.
Old Nov 8, 2010, 5:45 pm

Originally Posted by Digable
A system error has caused a delay in processing your application. Please try again later.

I keep getting that error every time I try on the new 75k offer...
nm got it
Old Nov 8, 2010, 5:57 pm

Programs: AA GLD 1.xMM, MAR SLV, HH DMND, IHG PLT
Originally Posted by pgary
There are also 40,000 mile American Airlines miles credit card offers from Citibank. These one require spending $1,000 on the card in the first 4 months. It will be interesting to see if those who were rejected for the 75,000 mile offer because they had an AA card before get accepted for the 40,000 mile offer. Please report your experience here. Thanks.

Personal Card
Business Card
I got rejected for the 75K miles one b/c I am existing card member. I assume I have to wait 60days to apply for the 40k version of the offer, correct?

Question, can I apply for the 40K miles offer using my wife as primary (or do I still have to wait the 60 days since I filed the 75K application as primary but listed my wife to get her a card)?
Old Nov 8, 2010, 7:15 pm

Originally Posted by Happy
What did you check on the application - self-employed? professional?

And what did your husband check on the application - retired? 0 year in business and 0 business revenues?

May be you can write a letter to explain you are self-employed and offer some proof such as the schedule D together with your DBA license? Writing a letter would give you more ways to explain it instead of trying to go over it on the phone.
Hello "Happy". I checked "other" under line of business (since I am not in manufacturing, service or agriculture) and under occupation - scientist/pharmacist/therapist. I am a licensed physical therapist. My husband and I both listed the exact same amount under joint income on our separate applications, and each of us marked what we make individually under the "business income". My husband listed 5 years in business, because he has been a consultant/researcher for 5 years. He is retired from his primary occupation only, so he did not mark retired.

My mistake, it appears, was giving myself a business name. According to the application it seemed to require a business name, (it was asterisked) so I essentially made one up. Same thing for my husband's application that was approved. On the application "legal name of business" is stared. Also, under disclosures it states: Federal law requires Citibank to obtain, verify and record information that identifies each person and Business who opens an account, in order to help the government fight the funding of terrorism and money laundering activities. To process the Application, Citibank must have your name, street address, date of birth and other identifying information such as your Social Security Number. Also, Citibank must obtain the Business' legal name, its street address, and its Taxpayer Identification Number. You understand that Citibank may ask for additional identifying documents from you and the Business as well.

So, the disclosure said you had to provide a legal business name eventhough you could mark down sole-proprietorship and have the card issued in personal name only, which is what I requested. I assumed without a "business name" the application would not go through. I figured I could just get a DBA "license" anyway and that would take care of it. No ...... Citi will not accept a DBA. I do work as a contract PT; I pay for travel, CEU's etc. I do not have SS taxes withdrawn from some of my employers and I have had to file a 1040 SE (self-employed) tax return as recent as 2008. So since I contract my services, I thought I could make an argument as well as anyone that I am at least self-employed. I am absolutely certain that many people who apply for these cards are not business owners.

The irony is my husband was not asked for any verification whatsoever, and he does not have a business license either. However, he has a Citi MC which we spend quite a bit on per year. I think that is the difference. I have had 2 or 3 Citi cards in the past 5 years and I always cancel them when I get my mileage bonuses. I have read that you can have credit that is "too good" as well, which might be my case:

http://www.foxbusiness.com/personal-...it-score-high/

At least my husband will get the 50,000 bonus miles after spending $750 and will get another 50,000 after spending 10K in 12 months (verified). I will probably just apply again after 90 days for the best bonus offer going on a personal card. Or, better yet, apply for the Capital One Venture Visa card: http://www.capitalone.com/creditcard...1_T_CP46726EW#
Old Nov 8, 2010, 7:56 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: DREAD Gold; UA 1.035MM; Bonvoy Au-197; PCC Elite+; CCC Elite+; MSC C-12; CWC Au-197; WoH Dis
Originally Posted by nittfan
Citi will not accept a DBA.
They accepted mine. It's the same DBA I've been using for 15 years on my Schedule C, and I've never bothered registering it.
Old Nov 8, 2010, 8:15 pm

Programs: Life, Love and Laughter
Folks, Citi treats almost everyone differently in applying for Business cards. Citi asked me for no proof whatsoever that I have a business. Nothing, nada. I put down sole proprietorship and 0 for income. And they approved me for Business Visa. I know that others have reported the same.
I wish we knew what Citi's criteria for Business Visa are, but the more I read here about people's experiences, the more variance there is in how Citi treats folks.
Who knows what Citi wants. I sure don't.
I feel very fortunate that I was approved.
Old Nov 8, 2010, 8:32 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Since you have paid Self-Employed tax I think you have a case for reconsideration if you do not mind to let Citi look at your tax return.

It depends on how much you want these miles. A letter would be the way to go if you decide to pursuit.

Your business should really be Service but that is moot point now.

We are in exact opposite situation as yours. Mine while not instant approved, in fact only got to Step 3 but the card came by the 10th day after application without any notification of any form and a surprisingly high CL. I wasn't confident to get any meaningful CL so I chose the 75K instead of the 50K + 50K offer. I hate to get a card with $1K limit and have to spend $10K to get the 2nd 50K bonus... The line Citi gave me was a shock, considering my current total line with them on the personal card side.

OTOH My husband's application met with the request of proof on business / home address. We use our own names as business names as we are DBA as well (his business checking account shows DBA). We never bother to get a license. All utility bills are in my name though as I handle all the admin stuff.

When we called on Friday and told the phone rep we did not have utility bills in his business name but we could provide other doc to show both names are at the same address as the business checking account. The phone rep said it was fine. But who knows whether the actual reviewer would say?

So today we wrote a note on the side space of the email Citi sent to request us to call, about 3 attached docs: 1) business checking account statement which bears husband's name and DBA name. 2) AT&T phone bill in my name. 3) joint saving account statement with both our names. All 3 docs have the same address. Faxed 4 pages to them this afternoon. We will see if the reviewer likes it or not.

BTW, I have had many more Citicards in the past than hubby who still have his pair of AA personal cards from June.

So it almost boils down to sheer luck - when no instant approval is received, it is up to the reviewer's thought / mood to decide what is next!

Originally Posted by nittfan
I do work as a contract PT; I pay for travel, CEU's etc. I do not have SS taxes withdrawn from some of my employers and I have had to file a 1040 SE (self-employed) tax return as recent as 2008. So since I contract my services, I thought I could make an argument as well as anyone that I am at least self-employed. I am absolutely certain that many people who apply for these cards are not business owners.

The irony is my husband was not asked for any verification whatsoever, and he does not have a business license either. However, he has a Citi MC which we spend quite a bit on per year. I think that is the difference. I have had 2 or 3 Citi cards in the past 5 years and I always cancel them when I get my mileage bonuses. I have read that you can have credit that is "too good" as well, which might be my case:

http://www.foxbusiness.com/personal-...it-score-high/

Last edited by Happy; Nov 8, 2010 at 8:38 pm
Old Nov 9, 2010, 9:39 am

Location: Half time in PDX, Half time in Ajijic, Mexico. Near GDL
Programs: AA Platinum
Thanks to OP Happy and JCMitchell21

First a personal thanks to Elusive and Happy and JCMitchell21 for starting and analyzing this thread. I really appreciate it.

My husband achieved the trifecta!
He got his 3rd card yesterday.
First on was Bus Visa in August for 100K
Personal Amex and Visas applied for Oct 20 for 75K each.

I failed on all three...but have 3 Citi AAdvantage cards active and have churned 8 or 9 others in the past couple years.
As a data point, I was denied the Bus VISA due to the business having the maximum number of accounts allowed. I do have one Bus AAdvantage card...but it was for a different business.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.