Wiki Posts
Search

Newbie needs airline strategy

Search this Thread

Old Jul 26, 2010, 7:28 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Virtuoso
Newbie needs airline strategy

I have a love of international travel and was recently turned onto travel hack and flyertalk. Thanks everyone for all you do!

My question: I would like to fly at least BC from BOI to ARN next summer with my husband. I currently have around 38K Alaska miles and 20K US Dividend miles (and am Silver status). I have seen lots of ways to generate miles, but don't know which plan to focus on - One World or Star Alliance. Or, should I drop those two plans and switch to AA and UA?
Old Jul 26, 2010, 7:39 pm

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, National Executive
Welcome to FT!

For starters, AA is part of OW and UA is part of Star Alliance.

I would suggest you wander over to the thread on SPG credit cards here in the Milesbuzz section. Between your husband and yourself you can rack up some serious points that will transfer over to several airlines with a nice bonus.

It wouldn't be hard to rack up 40K SPG points per person, transfer that to 50K AA miles and each of you would have 1/2 of a Biz class ticket.

Originally Posted by k_malm
I have a love of international travel and was recently turned onto travel hack and flyertalk. Thanks everyone for all you do!

My question: I would like to fly at least BC from BOI to ARN next summer with my husband. I currently have around 38K Alaska miles and 20K US Dividend miles (and am Silver status). I have seen lots of ways to generate miles, but don't know which plan to focus on - One World or Star Alliance. Or, should I drop those two plans and switch to AA and UA?
Old Jul 26, 2010, 8:09 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Virtuoso
Thanks for the suggestion. I realize I wasn't clear in how I wrote that...I knew they belonged to different alliances, I was trying to figure out if I should go OW or SA and if so, switch to AA/UA instead of Alaska/US like I have now. Are there more opportunities to earn miles with American instead of Alaska? I don't want to have 50K miles in two different programs (not that the situation would be horrible, just not the goal).
Old Jul 26, 2010, 9:46 pm

listed by program

this site list earning opportunities by airline among other ways like milemaven it makes it easier to see which airline program is offering what.
check it out: http://www.frequentflyerbonuses.com/

Last edited by wise2u; Jul 26, 2010 at 9:46 pm Reason: spelling
Old Jul 27, 2010, 6:30 am

Programs: Lifetime AA Gold-1MM
You can put both American and Delta miles into your Alaska Mileage Plan account, so no need to give up on AS if you want to keep it. Both AA and DL are talking about expanding their reciprocal agreements for AS elite members, so there may be an advantage in keeping your miles in one program.
Old Jul 28, 2010, 8:59 am

Programs: UA Gold + 1MM; HHonors Gold; Marriott Plat
Alaska is a great option if you do not want to lock yourself into one alliance. The problem with Alaska is that not all airlines it partners with will earn you Elite status miles and all will not recognize Alaska's Elite status. More details on Alaska and it FFP are here in my blog post: http://boardingarea.com/blogs/unroad...lier-programs/
Old Jul 30, 2010, 3:48 pm

Programs: "all" airlines and hotels
Other posters have it right - you should probably concentrate on Alaska.

Also, their airport clubs are one of the great bargains (over AA, UA) - only $30, a day pass (not a club pass, if connecting), and free drinks.

Best clubs I know of.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.