Wiki Posts
Search

Oneworld voted best alliance

Search this Thread

Old May 21, 2010, 7:56 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Oneworld voted best alliance

I find that hard to believe, at least from a US perspective. I would think Star would win hands down.

http://www.usatoday.com/travel/fligh...&ak=93622.blog

I personally don't like Oneworld much because its seems like their members are most likely not to award you full mileage on a partner airline (Iberia and Qantas come to mind). This has actually kept me from qualifying for elite status in the alliance. Also, the BA/AA relationship seems awkward and incomplete, at best. And, in the USA, you have the fewest earning opportunities.

You've got to wonder who votes for these things.
Old May 24, 2010, 7:02 am

Programs: AA Lifetime Platinum, SPG Gold
It would be worth seeing the methodology used. The only alliance I use is OW and would, therefore, be unwilling to participate in a survey that asked me to compare it to any others. I'm very happy with OW, actually, but have no basis to say that it's better or worse. That's the problem with what seems to be popularity surveys. If more OW members were polled, it could account for the results. A more scientific survey with specific criteria would be more helpful.
Old May 24, 2010, 8:12 am

Programs: Marriott Titanium, AA Concierge Key, Delta, United, Emorates, and others
I use all three and have elite status in all three. They have different strengths and weaknesses, to be sure, and my favorite carriers are mostly in Star and OW, but a couple in ST also. People must rank everything, whether they know or not.
Old May 24, 2010, 9:56 am

I can never figure out who vote in these surveys. I am very surprised *A is not top alliance. I noticed Air new Zealand was voted high. I have only used them for economy but I would never pay to fly them. These survey are suspect to me.
Old May 25, 2010, 10:09 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Massachusetts, USA; AA Plat, DL GM and Flying Colonel; Bonvoy Platinum
Originally Posted by iahphx
I find that hard to believe, at least from a US perspective. I would think Star would win hands down.

I personally don't like Oneworld much because its seems like their members are most likely not to award you full mileage on a partner airline (Iberia and Qantas come to mind). This has actually kept me from qualifying for elite status in the alliance. Also, the BA/AA relationship seems awkward and incomplete, at best. And, in the USA, you have the fewest earning opportunities.

This mixes two issues: which is the best alliance, and which is the best FF program.

Some OW drawbacks mentioned here are more issues with specific FF programs. For example, several *A FF programs have similar fractional mileage earning problems. Geographical coverage, OTOH, is a true alliance issue.

Unfortunately, it's very difficult in practice for someone whose OW experience is as (say) an AA frequent flyer to separate these two areas, since everything they see of OW is filtered through an AA lens. It might be possible as an academic exercise, but people who fill out these surveys don't take the time to go through academic exercises. The bottom line is that comparisons such as this are essentially worthless.
Old May 25, 2010, 10:17 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Efrem
This mixes two issues: which is the best alliance, and which is the best FF program.

Some OW drawbacks mentioned here are more issues with specific FF programs. For example, several *A FF programs have similar fractional mileage earning problems. Geographical coverage, OTOH, is a true alliance issue.

Unfortunately, it's very difficult in practice for someone whose OW experience is as (say) an AA frequent flyer to separate these two areas, since everything they see of OW is filtered through an AA lens. It might be possible as an academic exercise, but people who fill out these surveys don't take the time to go through academic exercises. The bottom line is that comparisons such as this are essentially worthless.
Good points. The reality of course, is that only a tiny fraction of the people who voted in this survey probably have enough experience/knowledge to offer a meaningful opinion. I'm sure the vast majority of travellers -- and even the majority of flyertalkers -- don't have enough comparative experience to form much of an educated opionion.

I will say that my Oneworld experience is more limited than with the other two alliances (I'm plat in both CO and DL), but I HAVE flown Oneworld airlines a lot. Because of the fractional mileage accrual problem, I've even tried to "shop" my Oneworld accrual to different ff programs. And maybe because I haven't been able to earn elite status in Oneworld (because of this fractional earning issue), perhaps I don't fully appreciate the benefits of this alliance.

But I doubt it. For the majority of frequent travellers, I don't think Oneworld is the best alliance.

Although it seems like it will be getting better. I understand the BA/AA antitrust agreement is likely to be approved this summer, so it will be easier to use oneworld benefits over these 2 airlines.
Old May 25, 2010, 10:47 am

Programs: AA Exec, USair Gold, Marriot Gold, SPG Plat
Anyone can filter with their personal biases including the survey takers, so the result is next to meaningless for those already set in their ways. IMHO, I agree with the finding. Does that mean it is any more/less relevant - no.
Old May 25, 2010, 10:07 pm

Programs: |QF Platinum|DL Platinum|HH Gold|ALL Silver|
But I doubt it. For the majority of frequent travellers, I don't think Oneworld is the best alliance.
Don't confuse your opinion with the majority of frequent flyers which is something subjective which is unlikely to ever be proven.

Personally I find Star now has so many members that if you aren't on your home airline, you earn points and status but aren't treated much differently than any other passenger. From my experience, OW as the smallest of the alliances treats alliance elites a little better, extending to top tier Emeralds being able to access partner First Class Lounges. Do I miss alliance wide luggage benefits, a strong hub in Central Europe and partner airlines in mainland China? Yes. Am I glad I don't have to hub through Houston or Atlanta or have to fly US Airways or United? Of course.

But that's all my opinion and to paraphrase Woody Allen, "Arguing about the best airline alliance is like dancing about architecture".
Old May 26, 2010, 8:14 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Massachusetts, USA; AA Plat, DL GM and Flying Colonel; Bonvoy Platinum
Originally Posted by Supersonic Swinger
... OW as the smallest of the alliances treats alliance elites a little better, extending to top tier Emeralds being able to access partner First Class Lounges...
Let's compare apples and apples here. "Top tier" isn't a standardized term. *A top tier (*A Gold) corresponds to OW mid-tier (Sapphire). *A has nothing that corresponds to OW Emerald. (I've had all three, now have two of them.)
Old May 30, 2010, 11:25 pm

Programs: DL DM & MM, CO Plat, MR Plat, HH Diamond, National Emerald Club Exec Elite, Hertz#1 Gold,Hyatt Plat
I just wish Delta and Skyteam would get some more partner airlines.
Old May 31, 2010, 12:28 am

Programs: DL, UA, AA, BA, Marriott

Haven't OW's miles been worth the most for a while now?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.