Community
Wiki Posts
Search

what is churning?

Search this Thread

Old Jul 16, 2010, 11:44 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by PaulMSN
I'm now waiting to see if Starwood will send me an offer for a second go-round.
I cancelled my *wood AMEX on July 5, applied for another one on July 6, and am currently doing the necessary spend on it.
Old Jul 16, 2010, 12:21 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by BigLar
I cancelled my *wood AMEX on July 5, applied for another one on July 6, and am currently doing the necessary spend on it.
Tell me if you get the points. I canceled in June.
Old Jul 16, 2010, 1:14 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium, IHG Plat, HH Gold, Trident Plat, DL Diamond, AI Maharajah
very nice....^^
Old Jul 16, 2010, 1:25 pm

Programs: AA Lifetime Gold, HHonors Diamond
How long had you had your AMEX that you canceled on July 5?
Old Jul 16, 2010, 1:36 pm

United wouldn't let me get a new credit card recently because I had one and cancelled it over 10 years ago. So I signed up mr b1513 instead to get the Kindle.
Old Jul 16, 2010, 3:33 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by b1513
United wouldn't let me get a new credit card recently because I had one and cancelled it over 10 years ago. So I signed up mr b1513 instead to get the Kindle.
Really? I've gotten three now since 2000 or so. The last one was canceled 2 years, one month before I applied for and received the latest one. Got the full 50K bonus.
Old Jul 16, 2010, 7:47 pm

Programs: OP, SPG, Amex MR
Originally Posted by hejustlaughs
Yes, but most of the impact is temporary. If you have a base of credit cards that are aged and active a few cards churned here and there isn't going to hurt your credit in the long run.
Plus, you can dispute away these accounts once you close them. Citibank is especially lax when verifying disputes. I have not had a single dispute verified by Citibank, go figure.

Lets keep the ethics out of this.
Old Jul 17, 2010, 6:39 pm

Programs: "all" airlines and hotels
of course it affects your credit score.

but - if you are that concerned about a few points, why are you on flyer talk, spending $$$ on travel?
Old Jul 19, 2010, 1:38 am

Thanks, I get it now.

One final question: so if I get 20,000 sign-up bonus points with Bank X Aerogold, and 20,000 sign-up points with Bank Y Aerogold, those two separate points are added together (hence, I end up with 40,000 points even though they came from 2 different credit cards)?
Old Jul 19, 2010, 2:42 am

Programs: OnePass, MilesPlus, AAdvantage, SkyMiles (unfortunately), PC Plat, HH Silver, Marriott Aluminium
Originally Posted by b1513
Originally Posted by PaulMSN
Really? I've gotten three now since 2000 or so. The last one was canceled 2 years, one month before I applied for and received the latest one. Got the full 50K bonus.
As for me, I canceled my United card earlier this year in order to apply a couple of days later for the 50,000 mile offer for the same card - and was sort of surprised to actually get the 50,000 miles no problem. Part of the fun of churning is you never know what might happen.
Sounds like people are doing the same with the Starwood card for the current 30,000 point bonus so I may have to give it another shot. Nothing ventured, nothing gained...
Old Jul 19, 2010, 12:21 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by deant
How long had you had your AMEX that you canceled on July 5?
Since at least 2007. I had originally gotten it to try the AMEX traveller's check deal, but it didn't work out. Did enough spend to get to the 20K threshold and stuffed the miles away (in late June this year, as I recall).

It was also good for recommendation bonuses, which gave me another 20K (4 boni) and then their card went into miles with the BA bonus.

The same folks have also gotten their new cards, so it's been a pretty good ride with AMEX so far.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.