5000 AA miles to open Citibank savings acct. Min $1,000 and 3 months

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

5000 AA miles to open Citibank savings acct. Min $1,000 and 3 months

Search this Thread

Old May 21, 2010, 1:44 pm

Programs: AA Exec, USair Gold, Marriot Gold, SPG Plat
I signed up over the phone and the interesting part for me was they never asked for my AA #. Perhaps because they have it already with my AA Citi card...
Old May 21, 2010, 2:07 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by sfo-atl
I opened a saving account under an identical offer in October of 2009. ... As of today May 15 I have not received them. While I could have reduced the balance in the account below $1000 after Jan 31, I have to keep the account open until after the miles are received, hopefully on schedule by June 15. I hope none of you were planning on using these miles soon.
I haven't see my miles either. Has anyone else?
Old May 22, 2010, 7:56 am

Programs: Credit Cards
no, I haven't seen any and was looking for this post just for that reason to see what's happening with others.
Old May 22, 2010, 9:51 am

Programs: AA Lifetime Plat, United Silver, Marriott Plat, IHG Plat
I've found Citi to be notoriously bad at following through with the promised miles for new accounts. That applies both for the checking account offer and the Ultimate Savings Account offer.

When I sign up for one of these promos, I make a note of the CSR that I spoke with (since I usually do it on the phone), keep a printed copy of the original offer code and terms along with the date that I signed up, and make a note about when the miles are supposed to post to my account (which is usually within 120 days after meeting the terms of the offer).

When the miles do not post by the expected date (and usually they do not), I send Citi an email inquiry from within the Citibank online account website documenting the offer and its details. Within a day, I get a reply that they are researching my request. 1-2 days later comes an email indicating that I'm right, and the miles then do post shortly afterwards.
Old May 22, 2010, 10:53 am

This is tied in to the EZ Checking. There is no way to just open a stand-alone Saving account. It always prompts you for the checking acount no matter which way you approach it.

I will still try calling them, but no go online.

-Kinglobjaw
Old May 22, 2010, 10:54 am

Programs: UA G
Originally Posted by kinglobjaw
This is tied in to the EZ Checking. There is no way to just open a stand-alone Saving account. It always prompts you for the checking acount no matter which way you approach it.

I will still try calling them, but no go online.

-Kinglobjaw
This is correct. If you have an existing Citibank account, sign in to that first and then attempt the application. It will link up the new account to your existing account.
Old May 22, 2010, 2:43 pm

Originally Posted by unavaca
This is correct. If you have an existing Citibank account, sign in to that first and then attempt the application. It will link up the new account to your existing account.
So there is no way for a new Citibank customer to just sign up for the Savings without checking?

-Kinglobjaw
Old May 22, 2010, 11:00 pm

Programs: UA G
So there is no way for a new Citibank customer to just sign up for the Savings without checking?

-Kinglobjaw
Not sure. I've only ever linked to an existing account before.
Old May 25, 2010, 11:43 am

Programs: United, AA, BA, SPG
one per customer

It says one per customer " One offer per customer only. All accounts are subject to approval and applicable terms and fees. "

Originally Posted by ma91pmh
i see nothing in the t&c that would prevent you from doing this more than once? i think i will give it a try. don't mind opening 5 accounts and putting $1k in each
Old May 25, 2010, 11:47 am

Citi account bonus honored

I opened an account last September and the due date for the miles was end of April, but the miles were not posted. I called and make a claim by phone, they called me the next day and say that I had fulfill all the requirements (min balance and two electronic payments per month) and they will honor the miles offer, in less than 3 days I saw the miles in my account.

Originally Posted by sfo-atl
I opened a saving account under an identical offer in October of 2009. The account opening deposit posted Oct 23. My offer stated that the miles would be posted within 120 days from the end of the statement period in which you met the qualifying requirements. You must maintain the minimum $1,000 balance for three consecutive calendar months. So therefore I would qualify at the end of January, three consecutive calendar months from Oct 23. The end of the statement period during which I qualified was Feb 15. My miles are due by June 15. As of today May 15 I have not received them. While I could have reduced the balance in the account below $1000 after Jan 31, I have to keep the account open until after the miles are received, hopefully on schedule by June 15. I hope none of you were planning on using these miles soon.
Old May 25, 2010, 11:59 am

Funding with Chase cards

j3brooklyn,

If you fund your account with your Chase visa card, does it has any extra cost? any fee? do you do that over the phone? Is there any trick to avoid it to be consider cash advance?
Thanks,

Originally Posted by j3brooklyn
1. My recent experience has been the same: Citicards are no longer a good option for funding.

2. I've had good results for myself and my wife funding with various Chase cards up to the credit limit. Transactions have posted as purchases, no cash advance fees, and miles have posted.
Old May 25, 2010, 12:04 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Finally back in Boston after escaping from New York

-Kinglobjaw
Originally Posted by unavaca
Not sure. I've only ever linked to an existing account before.
It's not a problem. I've spoken to Citi about this and they said to ignore what you see on the web, you are opening a USA account. Sure enough, it has always shown up as a USA for me.

Mike
Old May 25, 2010, 12:09 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Finally back in Boston after escaping from New York
Originally Posted by j3brooklyn
2. I've had good results for myself and my wife funding with various Chase cards up to the credit limit. Transactions have posted as purchases, no cash advance fees, and miles have posted.
Have you funded a Citi account with a Chase card recently? As of a few months ago, it looked like credit cards were treating Citi acct openings as cash equivalents, which aren't cash advances but generally don't earn points, either. I am happy to be corrected (and am available by PM if you don't want to open this can of worms).

Mike
Old May 25, 2010, 12:16 pm
Suspended

Programs: AA-EXP (3.3MM), AAirpass, SQ-PPS Solitaire, DL-PM (.777MM), SPG-Plat, HH-D
Originally Posted by Miami305
Any way to do this online, without calling in?
I got this via email and just opened one, I may open for wife as well.

Dear psyflyer,

As a valued Citi® / dvantage® credit cardmember, you can earn 5,000 American Airlines dvantage® bonus miles with a Citibank® Ultimate Savings Account.¹

Here is how it works:

1. Open a new Ultimate Savings Account and deposit a minimum of $1,000 in new-to-bank funds by 6/30/10.
2. Maintain a minimum account balance of $1,000 for 3 consecutive months.
3. Earn 5,000 dvantage bonus miles.

Plus, get a competitive rate², no monthly fee,³ and FDIC-insurance up to $250,000.

Apply Now
Or call 1-866-579-8495 and mention code C296.
https://online.citibank.com/US/JRS/i...Promo_ID=C296&
Old May 25, 2010, 2:10 pm

old song on a new voice.

I have told that to many people and will say it again. Record your calls guys. No need to write down who you talked with, or the offer code.

I have been given the runaround every time, and when I rolled the call back I was given the miles asap.
It is legal(at least in my state - if not, get a voip from that state) and so easy to do.. : )

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.