Community
Wiki Posts
Search

FA thanks MRers!

Search this Thread

Old May 14, 2009, 1:56 pm

Programs: UA 1K MM, Marriott Titanium, HH Gold
Originally Posted by lowdown
I've never done a bona fide "mileage run", living north of the border here in Canada, but I've done like short weekend trips.

However, as I'm moving to live in the DC/Baltimore area next year, I'll have the chance to do a few.

Right now, I'm looking at a BWI-ORD-LAS-DEN-BWI on a Saturday with UA.

Leave 8am, back in Baltimore by 10.45pm. C$264.50 (which is unheard of for a transcon here in Canada.)

How does one explain this when you're checking in? Reason for trip...? Why I'm only staying in Vegas for 45 minutes?

Any help greatly appreciated!

l.

Since you are doing same day turn, just do OLCI to get BPs for all flights, and you don't have to say anything to anyone.... well maybe except the FAs if you have the same crew on 2 or more of the legs
Old May 14, 2009, 2:09 pm

Programs: AA EXP 2MM
One of my MR's was ORD-DEN-SEA-DEN-SFO-ORD. Flying from DEN-SEA the flight attendant was listing the gates for SFO, LAX, etc and paused for a few seconds before saying Denver.
Old May 14, 2009, 2:11 pm

Programs: BA Gold, AS MVPG
Last year did a couple MRs from PHX to PVD, same flights turn around once. And I heard the flight attendants talked to each other, they thought I was an agent (gate attendant) that doing a checked up on the crew or something. That was funny.

My most recent MR to FLL, the GA just look at my BP and just shaked his head, as he handed my BP back, I said that was just the first one (4 segments on one BP).

Old May 14, 2009, 2:12 pm

Programs: AA Lifetime Plt
I had a supervisor's supervisor tell me "your mileage run's been approved" back in 2001. I wrote about it in the thread "So Midway Thinks I'm Crazy".

What I never mentioned (and should have) about that trip is that after being rerouted by the now-defunct Midway Airlines to travel from MSY to RDU via DFW, I got bumped twice by AA, collecting $450 in vouchers, on the DFW to RDU leg of the trip.

Lowdown, if anybody does ask why you're only spending 45 minutes in Las Vegas, tell them you had a hunch about playing the Megabucks slot machines that day.
Old May 14, 2009, 2:52 pm

Programs: AC SE
Originally Posted by LA_Traveler
Since you are doing same day turn, just do OLCI to get BPs for all flights, and you don't have to say anything to anyone.... well maybe except the FAs if you have the same crew on 2 or more of the legs
OLCI - HAHA! love it. completely forgot about that. done and done!

GreggWiggins: megabucks here i come!
Old May 14, 2009, 3:29 pm

Programs: DL DM, AA ExPlt, Diamond HH, HY, BW, & Titanium Elite Marriott
Never ran into a problem
Old May 22, 2009, 1:03 am

Programs: King of Rental Cars, BA Gold, Virgin Gold, AA MM Gold, A3 Gold, SK Gold, Hotel SuperElite
A SFO GA commented on examining my double SYD PNR that he helped a pax fly DXB-SYD a few weeks ago. Imagine their surprise when I replied that I knew who they were talking about. I also added that I had just dined with the President of Mileage Plus, but I don't think that he believed me. Ironically, I had the same FA crew on my outbound SFO-SYD as my 2nd return SYD-SFO. Got a free beverage for hanging out with them twice in 4 days.
Old May 22, 2009, 9:11 am

Programs: United 1kMM; AA EX Plat, Hilton Diamond and SPG Plat
So my funny story... getting on board in BOS going to ORD (thanks 3x RDM ^) around easter and the FA says where you heading I say SFO. My final destination was SFO so I said that by wrote memory but I really was going BOS-ORD-SEA-PDX-SFO. She goes why not the direct flight, and I say this was cheaper and I could confirm F. Flight goes great, at the end she does the gates and eventually mentions SFO as the late 10PM ish flight (we landed in ORD at like 11 AM). She comes by and is all concerend that my flight is not listed, casue why would I wait in ORD 1/2 a day. At this point I realized what I had done and not told her SEA, so she was all concerend and wanted me to check my BP. I nonchalantely, just said "oh it's like in 1 hour my BP is in my bag, don't worry about it." Even though I've done MR's for 2+ years, I still get shy telling people what I'm doing.

The funny pary was they never mentioned SEA and she was so concerned about my flight (like I was doing something wrong).

Also on another trip DEN-SEA-SFO. DEN-SEA was oversold and they had to VDB 7. I voulentered, when they GA saw my ticket she was dumbfounded and was like DEN to SEA to SFO? Why. I said it was cheaper and said have you ever used UA.COM to book a ticket, it comes up w/ the strangest routings sometimes. She was just flabergasted and could not understand that routing, imagine if I told her it was all part of a much longer MR.
Old May 25, 2009, 5:36 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend, Moderator, Information Desk, Ambassador, Alaska Airlines
Hilton Contributor BadgeIHG Contributor Badge

Programs: AS MVP Gold100K, AS 1MM, Maika`i Card, AGR, HH Gold, Hertz PC, Marriott Titanium LTG, CO, 7H, BA, 8E
Did a ANC-PDX-SEA-LAX-DCA and back MR (2 days) last week with another FTer and had the same F/A's on AS 6 & 5 (LAX-DCA-LAX) (they overnighted in DCA) - Had them welcome us back after thanking the MVP's & MVPG's on board- very

(And just remembered- need to send out an Expression of Thanks to the F/A ^)
Old May 25, 2009, 5:55 pm

Programs: NW-PE (ret.) DL-Diamond & 1M, Hertz #1, UA-1P
Originally Posted by fsa_ea
$6/day at SFO? What decade was that?

If you know of a place with parking that cheap now, please let me know!!
Burlingame parking (at the Shearaton). Used it for 2 recent MRs and this week's full-blown trip to London.
Old May 25, 2009, 7:16 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by Desdinova
Burlingame parking (at the Shearaton). Used it for 2 recent MRs and this week's full-blown trip to London.
i've probably parked there 30 of the last 50 days. they are good. shuttles aren't terribly frequent (20 mins), but they run on a schedule. i know it takes me 26 mins to get from my house to the parking lot, so i just time it right so i don't have to wait. they pick up at the ua/aa gates about 12 mins past the hour, 32 mins past, and 52 mins past. so i can time if i need to rush off the plane or not.

you need a coupon for the $6 rate. just google sfo airport parking and you'll get a bunch of places. usually the sheraton is the cheapest, not all the time.
Old May 25, 2009, 9:12 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP/LTP, BA GGL/CCR/GfL, HH D/LTD, SPG/MR Plat/LTP
Originally Posted by lowdown
I've never done a bona fide "mileage run", living north of the border here in Canada, but I've done like short weekend trips.

However, as I'm moving to live in the DC/Baltimore area next year, I'll have the chance to do a few.

Right now, I'm looking at a BWI-ORD-LAS-DEN-BWI on a Saturday with UA.

Leave 8am, back in Baltimore by 10.45pm. C$264.50 (which is unheard of for a transcon here in Canada.)

How does one explain this when you're checking in? Reason for trip...? Why I'm only staying in Vegas for 45 minutes?

Any help greatly appreciated!

l.

45 min in Vegas is enough. I'm a compulsive gambler, so I try to limit my exposure.
Old May 25, 2009, 9:33 pm

Programs: UA 1K, AA Plat Exec, HH Diamond, Bonvoy Plat Elite
Do we need shirts?

So for the times when the FAs and GAs need t figure out who's got that goofy ITN, maybe we need FT shirt? Some sort of nice golf shirt with a Flyertalk logo on the front and "mileage runner 2009" on the sleve...
Old May 26, 2009, 3:15 pm

Programs: AA
Originally Posted by Ed ONeill
So for the times when the FAs and GAs need t figure out who's got that goofy ITN, maybe we need FT shirt? Some sort of nice golf shirt with a Flyertalk logo on the front and "mileage runner 2009" on the sleve...

I worry that I might be asked to turn that shirt inside out because some non-elite might be offended.

Sidebar: I can't believe they can make pax do that.
Old May 26, 2009, 6:14 pm

Programs: AA PLAT
I'm just back from a MR to EZE. I did a same-day turnaround (13 hours). It never dawned on me that with a 13 hour layover, the FA could work the return flight.

I was in J, and settling into my seat when I heard a FA say to someone further back saying something like "Didn't you fly over here with me last week?". I looked back as her voice sounded familiar and it was the same FA that had been serving my side on the cabin on the way over that morning. She remembered me and asked what I was doing. I explained it was all for the miles, and of course to see some of BA. She seemed very interested in what I was doing... especially because I had come all the way from Ireland!

She heard of 'us' before but I was the first one she met. She looked after me for the 10+ hour flight and were on first name terms!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.