Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Cosmic radiation from MRs

Search this Thread

Old Apr 6, 2009, 9:53 am

Programs: UA Premier 1K 1MM, Marriott Titanium, Hilton Gold
A little glow off my forehead is great when the reading light is inop on a late night flight!
Old Apr 6, 2009, 9:57 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

The good news is that we're all dead in the end anyway.

I'm sure getting to the airport is still FAR more dangerous than the radiation from flying.

This discussion seems like a geeky red herring. If you're truly worried about the risk of radiation from frequent flying, you're probably a nervous nelly about a lot of things.

The real scientific issue here involves crew exposure to radiation. The "jet age" started about 50 years ago, and I've not read of crew members dying of cancer at unusual rates. So they're probably OK. But that's the area worthy of scientific inquiry. Frequent flyers should focus their biological need for fear elsewhere.
Old Apr 6, 2009, 10:03 am

Programs: UA Gold-MM, AA Gold-MM, F9-Silver, Hyatt Something, Marriott Gold, IHG Plat, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by redreeper
I'm assuming because of the amount of radioactive pollution he/she is suggesting the slow boat might offer a better chance to let things "cool down" a bit before you arrive?

Roamans
No, I meant that if the poster FLIES to the site, they'd have the radiation from flying AND the nuclear waste! And clearly, that would be instant death.
Old Apr 6, 2009, 11:33 am

Programs: COdbaUA 1K MM, AA EXP, Bonbon Gold, GHA Titanium, Hertz PC, NEXUS and GE
Originally Posted by iahphx
The good news is that we're all dead in the end anyway.

I'm sure getting to the airport is still FAR more dangerous than the radiation from flying.

This discussion seems like a geeky red herring. If you're truly worried about the risk of radiation from frequent flying, you're probably a nervous nelly about a lot of things.

The real scientific issue here involves crew exposure to radiation. The "jet age" started about 50 years ago, and I've not read of crew members dying of cancer at unusual rates. So they're probably OK. But that's the area worthy of scientific inquiry. Frequent flyers should focus their biological need for fear elsewhere.
Actually, if you read the first page of this thread, there is evidence pointing to a 50% greater risk of breast cancer among air crew compared to non-crew. Now, I would expect the melanoma rates to drop significantly since eyebrow windows have been removed from the vast majority of aircraft (that was a huge problem actually), but breast cancer rates aren't particularly affected by exposure to the sun.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.