Wiki Posts
Search

dl - ATL - SIN - ATL

Search this Thread

Old Apr 2, 2009, 5:17 pm
Original Poster

Programs: HH Diamond, MR PL, SPG GOLD, DL Bronze, AA PL
dl - ATL - SIN - ATL

Trying to get input on this. I have short flights on DL all year long and it doesn't add up to anything.. I have registered for the triple miles bonus and need to see if this is worth it..

ATL - SIN - ATL May 4 - May 7 $1100.00

Leg 1 and 4 on NWA Class Q - 6850 Miles x3 (x2) 41100 Miles
Leg 2 and 3 on DL Class B - 3328 Miles x2 (x2) 13312 Miles
Total 54412 Miles

Thank You
Old Apr 2, 2009, 6:17 pm

Programs: UA 2MM
In my opinion, it is well worth it.
Old Apr 2, 2009, 6:51 pm

Programs: AA
2cpm, a decent rate. Plus it's a country you can explore in a very short amount of time (unless you're doing a quick turnaround). Hope you can land an upgrade though!
Old Apr 2, 2009, 10:19 pm

Programs: AA EXP, SPG Gold, HHonors Gold
Originally Posted by wtrdog
Trying to get input on this. I have short flights on DL all year long and it doesn't add up to anything.. I have registered for the triple miles bonus and need to see if this is worth it..

ATL - SIN - ATL May 4 - May 7 $1100.00

Leg 1 and 4 on NWA Class Q - 6850 Miles x3 (x2) 41100 Miles
Leg 2 and 3 on DL Class B - 3328 Miles x2 (x2) 13312 Miles
Total 54412 Miles

Thank You
Earn up to triple flown miles towards Medallion status on select fares on all Delta and Northwest marketed and operated qualifying flights booked and flown systemwide from March 23 through June 15, 2009. Members purchasing premium fares (J/C/D/S/I/F/A/Y/B/M on Delta marketed flights and J/C/Z/I/P/F/Y/B/M on Northwest marketed flights) will earn triple actual flight miles towards Medallion status, members purchasing discounted economy fares (H/Q/K on Delta marketed flights and H/Q/V on Northwest marketed North American flights, Q/T/L on Northwest marketed trans-Pacific, within Asia flights, K/H/L on Northwest marketed trans-Atlantic/Europe/India flights) will earn double actual flight miles towards Medallion status and members purchasing deeply discounted fares (L/U/T on Delta marketed flights and L/T/K on Northwest marketed North American flights, H/V/K on trans-Pacific, within Asia flights, Q/T/V on trans-Atlantic/Europe/India flights) will earn the actual flight miles towards Medallion status. Qualifying flights include any Delta, Northwest, Mesaba, Pinnacle, Compass or Delta Connection carrier fight. Codeshare flights operated by carriers other than Northwest or Delta Connection carriers are excluded from this offer. Medallion Qualification Segments are not included in this promotion. Promotional miles are calculated based on actual miles flown or the 500-mile minimum, whichever is greater.

I think you reversed the B and Q modifier.
Old Apr 6, 2009, 6:49 am

Location: RDU, Delta GM/1MM, Hilton Diamond (for now), Bonvoy Titanium
Have you tried to see if you could do Y/B/M both ways? You could use miles or PMUs to upgrade then.
Old Apr 6, 2009, 7:10 am

wtrdog, welcome to FlyerTalk! Good inquiry for your first post. As suggested above, I do believe the actual MQMs to be earned would be a little over 47.3K. I checked on ExpertFlyer for possible upgrades using points or PMUs for three days before and after your May 4-7 dates and there were no Z fares (the upgrade bucket you would need to upgrade your B fare) available outgoing or on the return for your NRT-SIN legs. There were Z fares available for the NRT-ATL incoming leg but not for the outgoing leg and, in any case, those are the Q fares and are not upgradeable with points or PMUs. I'm also seeing an all-in fare of about $1250 as the lowest now, a little more than your $1100 figure. Perhaps taxes and fees? Good luck and enjoy Singapore if you decide to go.
Old Apr 6, 2009, 11:38 am

Programs: DL PM, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by upgrader
wtrdog, welcome to FlyerTalk! Good inquiry for your first post. As suggested above, I do believe the actual MQMs to be earned would be a little over 47.3K. I checked on ExpertFlyer for possible upgrades using points or PMUs for three days before and after your May 4-7 dates and there were no Z fares (the upgrade bucket you would need to upgrade your B fare) available outgoing or on the return for your NRT-SIN legs. There were Z fares available for the NRT-ATL incoming leg but not for the outgoing leg and, in any case, those are the Q fares and are not upgradeable with points or PMUs. I'm also seeing an all-in fare of about $1250 as the lowest now, a little more than your $1100 figure. Perhaps taxes and fees? Good luck and enjoy Singapore if you decide to go.
You can try routing through HNL for additional miles. M fares get the 3x as well, so if you can M all the way, the mileage goes up significantly.
Old Apr 8, 2009, 7:21 am
Original Poster

Thank you everyone for your help. As this is my first attempt at a MR.. I can use all that I can get. I am unable to make my flights as I wanted to due to a work conflict that I cannot change. I took the advice and looked at adding HNL to my route. It could add some miles. Couple of things if I could help with.. would be awesome. There is an immense amount of information on this site, but sometimes sorting through all of it can be a little tough..

So.. here is my new schedule.. cleared my calendar for this one..

5/19 - 5/24
DL ATL-HNL-NRT-SIN
return
DL SIN-NRT-HNL-ATL

I was able to find M fares for all flights with the exception of NRT/SIN - SIN/NRT legs.

My mileage calculation that I came up with looks like this..

ATL/HNL 4502 M x2 x3 = 27012
HNL/NRT 3818 M x2 x3 = 22908
NRT/SIN 3328 B x2 x2 = 13312
Total - 63212 MQM
Cost $2190.00

One question I have.. is there an easier way to find the fare classes that I want? Currently I go to the delta website and search and just keep tossing in dates and times until I hit something..

Second question.. I have around 180k skymiles in my account.. Will delta let me upgrade the M class using miles?

Thanks.. sorry to be such a bother.. I live in ATL and fly about 4 times a month.. but it never adds up to anything.. will be moving to Dallas in the fall which will require much more flying on my part..
Old Apr 8, 2009, 8:53 am

Programs: DL PM, Hilton Diamond
Thank you everyone for your help. As this is my first attempt at a MR.. I can use all that I can get. I am unable to make my flights as I wanted to due to a work conflict that I cannot change. I took the advice and looked at adding HNL to my route. It could add some miles. Couple of things if I could help with.. would be awesome. There is an immense amount of information on this site, but sometimes sorting through all of it can be a little tough..

So.. here is my new schedule.. cleared my calendar for this one..

5/19 - 5/24
DL ATL-HNL-NRT-SIN
return
DL SIN-NRT-HNL-ATL

I was able to find M fares for all flights with the exception of NRT/SIN - SIN/NRT legs.

Total - 63212 MQM
Cost $2190.00

One question I have.. is there an easier way to find the fare classes that I want? Currently I go to the delta website and search and just keep tossing in dates and times until I hit something..

Second question.. I have around 180k skymiles in my account.. Will delta let me upgrade the M class using miles?

Thanks.. sorry to be such a bother.. I live in ATL and fly about 4 times a month.. but it never adds up to anything.. will be moving to Dallas in the fall which will require much more flying on my part..
You would probably find an ExpertFlyer subsription useful. You can look for availability of fare classes on that site. I think that they offer a free 30 day subscription, which would give you a chance to try it out.

In terms of upgrades, someone else needs to verify this information, but this site says that you CAN upgrade from M on Delta transoceanic flights. Delta's site says to check with a reservations agent for your itenary. A quick phone call might be worth the time and effort.

Just because mileage upgrades are ALLOWED does not mean that you CAN. You need to make sure that there are Z fare class seats on your International flights and R on your domestic (to/from HNL). It is possible depending on the fare basis code(s) for your ticket that they may charge you seperately for the NRT to SIN and return and the ATL to NRT return flights, which greatly increases the miles required. I have run into this before when booking a trip that has more than one fare basis. A Delta agent could probably answer this for you.

Remember that you need to register for the promotion BEFORE purchasing the tickets- at least this is how it works on NW.

Added note: looks like from the chart I reference above that you may need to look for G fare class for domestic- I use R for NW. Someone who knows more about DL really needs to weigh in on this.

Perhaps consider posting the DL specific questions on the DL board.
Old Apr 8, 2009, 9:29 pm

Programs: AA Exec Platinum/MM, DL Gold/MM, Hilton Diamond, Accor Platinum, Hertz Presidents Circle

Total - 63212 MQM
Cost $2190.00
Your calculation is still wrong, although this time it's in your favor. The B class on your SIN flights gets triple EQMs too, so I make your total out to be 69,888. Quite a haul.

Try something like http://availability.publicbackup.com. It will show you how many seats are available in the paid fare buckets, and help you find flights with M seat availability. It WON'T help you find flights with upgrade availability (Z and R?). For that you need a paid service like Expertflyer, as Cellisttoo suggests. If DL is like NW then you may see more upgrade availability as you get closer to departure. I'm surprised you're not seeing more, but I'm used to what NW offers. I was considering a number of dates for a similar run to SIN in April and May and saw NW upgrade availability all over the place.

I assume you're not a Platinum, or you would be talking about using your PMUs instead of miles.
Old Apr 9, 2009, 12:18 pm
Original Poster

Thanks Stripe.. and everyone else for that matter.. No.. I am not Platinum.. this will be my first go around..

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.