FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Mileage Run Discussion (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/mileage-run-discussion-627/)
-   -   Trick it / negotiate it / special savings lounge thread (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/mileage-run-discussion/930922-trick-negotiate-special-savings-lounge-thread.html)

Smiley90 Oct 14, 2015 4:32 pm

The thread is fairly newbie-friendly, as long as one is willing to put in some work of one's own. E.g. figure out the basics, know how it works and come with concrete questions not "explain it to me" or "i'm lost". The basics are REALLY easy to find out. While it's harder to find suitable 3X or even your first fuel dumps, it's MUCH better if you figure it out by yourself instead of asking for help, as then you can actually contribute to the thread.

The basics are easy to understand, but fuel dumps are hard to find - if they were easy to find, everyone would be doing it and the loophole wouldn't exist. So if someone's not willing to put in the hours of newbie-work, they won't be welcome because most people here have also had to put in that work. And simply telling someone a working fuel dump isn't gonna make them a contributer to this thread, as they STILL won't understand how it works and how to find them.

Once you've proven that you understand the logic (e.g. "Found a 50% fuel dump from x to y, is it possible to dump it more with alliance z), help will come in, because that shows that the person has done their homework and probably just needs a little hint in the right direction.

The problem is that most people aren't willing to do this, which is why it comes across as not-newbie-friendly.

LittleDove Oct 14, 2015 4:43 pm

Thanks for your reply.

I do actually understand that hidden tickets and FD have nothing to do with each other although, perhaps, they are attractive to those who appreciate the hunt for savings and/or other benefits.

I didn't see a thread that seemed specifically appropriate for such a query and so thought one about non-traditional ticketing practices might at least have an audience willing to point me in the right direction.

I'd be happy to repost elsewhere if you or someone else could direct me.

As for unwelcome attitudes, I'd hoped to avoid them, and have read many of the opening posts trying to find a good spot for my question. I aim to learn what I can and contribute at some point....I was looking to inject a little humor with my note as to not yet being an expert.

Smiley90 Oct 14, 2015 4:45 pm

Originally Posted by LittleDove (Post 25565769)
Thanks for your reply.

I do actually understand that hidden tickets and FD have nothing to do with each other although, perhaps, they are attractive to those who appreciate the hunt for savings and/or other benefits.

I didn't see a thread that seemed specifically appropriate for such a query and so thought one about non-traditional ticketing practices might at least have an audience willing to point me in the right direction.

I'd be happy to repost elsewhere if you or someone else could direct me.

As for unwelcome attitudes, I'd hoped to avoid them, and have read many of the opening posts trying to find a good spot for my question. I aim to learn what I can and contribute at some point....I was looking to inject a little humor with my note as to not yet being an expert.

It's all good - just read up on fuel dumping some more and then come back once you have specific questions? Google (and especially google cashed) are your friend here

LittleDove Oct 14, 2015 4:46 pm

And thanks to you, Smiley. I absolutely understand that.

I've read enough of the thread to know that some effort is required...and have had some initial fun tinkering with the tools and combing through the posts. I'd rather 'learn to fish', trust me.

Again, I do mean to follow forum guidelines, so if anyone has a better suggestion for my hidden ticketing query, please holler.

Thanks for the introduction.

aza72 Oct 14, 2015 5:54 pm

Originally Posted by LittleDove (Post 25565461)
don't use your ff#

Some people like to use a ff# on a partner airline of the one whose metal they are flying since they get miles and the airline is less likely to notice the trend.

LittleDove Oct 14, 2015 6:01 pm

Originally Posted by aza72 (Post 25566017)
Some people like to use a ff# on a partner airline of the one whose metal they are flying since they get miles and the airline is less likely to notice the trend.

Yes, thanks! I have done that myself, with no trouble whatsoever. Actually I think I may have used my Amtrak loyalty number somehow, if I'm remembering correctly, as I take the train about as much as I fly.

WingedWorldExplorer Oct 14, 2015 6:22 pm

Originally Posted by Deltahater (Post 25565558)
HI Littledove:
You will find that this thread is not welcoming to noobies. I for one, struggle with your comments and questions as they have seemingly nothing in common with this thread. Hidden City and trick it have very little to do with each other. Yes, some times you can do both on the same ticket.
I am sorry to tell you that based on your post, you have not begin to even understand the implications of this thread. Otherwise you would not talk about domestic first class. With all due respect, I really suggest you re-read the thread and once you know what 1x, 3x, YQ, 13 miler, bride, groom, person of size,etc etc mean, you then begin to explore the future of FD. Without the historical background it is really hard to understand this. And very few people are willing to actually teach you this stuff.

Nice answer: Balanced but direct and to the point and focused - yet polite.

Originally Posted by seris7 (Post 25563964)
CM has very strange application of YQ, for flight originating ex US in some case there is no YQ at all, in others there is a huge $470 fuel surcharge (JFK-SCL) I can see 80-120 usd YQ on PTY-C4 destinations which I think it's not too much useful. On the other end MEX-BSB has a nice $350 YQ but BF is $355.

Originally Posted by mbglo (Post 25563494)
Oh, very clever indeed WWE. I remember reading a long time ago that LA is dumpable in cases with embedded YQ, but are the other abovementioned carriers also dumpable in this way?

It's quite annoying that C2-C4 almost always can be had cheaper than C1-C4 and quite often even C2-C1-C4 is cheaper than C1-C4.

Indeed LA: SCL and LA: LIM were my destinations of choice back then. Worked in reverse too. "Hidden YQ". I actually posted about it back then but not much response as I recall.

briancw80 Oct 14, 2015 7:54 pm

Spain-C1, $385, & 2 Questions

Spain-C1, winter 2016, $385, no x factor, not ITA'ble

*UPDATE: Blog sighting, although, deals are slightly different*

Smiley90 Oct 14, 2015 9:38 pm

Originally Posted by briancw80 (Post 25566440)
Spain-C1, winter 2016, $385, no x factor, not ITA'ble

*UPDATE: Blog sighting, although, deals are slightly different*

a) if there's no x's involved it's not a fuel dump and doesn't belong in this thread. If you don't wanna share it with FT, then why bother posting... someone's gonna post it eventually, since...

b) that's a blog-deal. It's on secretflying. Everyone can see it. People frown upon posting blog-deals uncredited to the mileage run/cheap fare forum, why would this place be different?

I'll make it easier on anyone since it's posted and thus likely gone soon anyway:

Valencia-Miami 319 Euro RT
Bilbao-KUL 395 Euro RT
Poland-Japan//New York-Italy 394 Euro Double OJ

sigh.

aza72 Oct 15, 2015 12:13 am

Originally Posted by WingedWorldExplorer (Post 25566109)
Indeed LA: SCL and LA: LIM were my destinations of choice back then. Worked in reverse too. "Hidden YQ". I actually posted about it back then but not much response as I recall.

Thanks for the pointers. I'll dig through the archives for more.

briancw80 Oct 15, 2015 6:20 am

Originally Posted by Smiley90 (Post 25566789)
a) if there's no x's involved it's not a fuel dump and doesn't belong in this thread.

Wrong. While the overwhelming discussion here is about FD'ng, this is NOT a fuel dump only thread. Per the wiki:

"This thread deals with unique combinations of routes and booking tricks in order to lower prices on airline fares"

Members would be very interested in any new developments that lower prices on fares.

As for my particular deal, the YQ was substantially lower than what was on ITA, leading me to believe this was a GDS/OTA error, which is the exact type of deal that should be here.

b) that's a blog-deal.

After posting the deal here, and then seeing something similar on SF, I edited my post to reflect that. I thought I made that clear with "*UPDATE: Blog sighting, although, deals are slightly different*". Perhaps not?

People frown upon posting blog-deals uncredited to the mileage run/cheap fare forum, why would this place be different?

Agreed. However, please consider the possibility that both blogs and members can find the same deals, and sometimes do...on their own AND it isn't an attempt to post "blog-deals uncredited".

Valencia-Miami 319 Euro RT

Not the deal, as I said. Not that it's hard to figure out, though, my deal was MAD to MIA.

sigh.

sigh.

GraceC Oct 15, 2015 9:06 am

getting miles credited

I've google'd and searched this thread (see below) but can't find the answer...hope someone can help:

If I've an AA itin with a non-AA 3x:
- will I get miles for the flown AA itin if the 3x is unflown?
- in fact, will I get AA miles even if the 3x is flown? (some people seem to think not...)

edit: I'm trying to get those AA miles to meet a challenge, hence the inkling
that AA might scrutinize those miles credited more than usual?

--
Some previous threads I found, but not directly related. Hence my question above:
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/ameri...get-miles.html
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/22720224-post33073.html

anandrag Oct 15, 2015 9:16 am

Originally Posted by GraceC (Post 25568765)
I've google'd and searched this thread (see below) but can't find the answer...hope someone can help:

If I've an AA itin with a non-AA 3x:
- will I get miles for the flown AA itin if the 3x is unflown?
- in fact, will I get AA miles even if the 3x is flown? (some people seem to think not...)

--
Some previous threads I found, but directly related. Hence my question above:
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/ameri...get-miles.html
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/22720224-post33073.html

You obviously won't get miles for sectors not flown. Will get miles for all sectors flown. Don't contact airline though for mileage credit

Nat25 Oct 15, 2015 9:44 am

I see a 3x on the same airline as the first flights. Would that make issues?

WingedWorldExplorer Oct 15, 2015 11:24 am

Alitalia is at it again - Roman Holidays revisited

Romantically inclined Alitalia seems to have some nice travel opportunities

AZ: New York - Rome Stop-over as long as you want ( vacation )

AZ:Rome - Venezia/Bologna/Milano + 2 other secret cities even in mid-summer.

$ 323,00 All-in.

If you choose your vacation stop-over in Northern Italy the all in price drops to $ 287.95