Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Mileage Run Deals > Mileage Run Discussion
Reload this Page >

Advice requested on ex-JFK AA MR

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Aug 30, 2008, 9:26 pm
Original Poster

Programs: HH Gold, AA EXP, UA 1p

Howdy all,

I have been looking for decent MRs out of NYC on AA for forever (if anyone has any secret ones, feel free to PM me), but I did discover something that I think is not terrible, and would appreciate ways to improve it. Basically, on various dates in October, you can fly NYC-DEL via ORD for $1184 all-in, fare class N, with a wide variety of connection possibilities. For example JFK-LAX-ORD-DEL, which includes an easy overnight in LAX to visit friends. I have a held reservation leaving 10/10 going through LAX and ORD in both directions - I could have added another leg to DFW or something similar, but this way I'm on the nice transcon service. Total mileage: 23,406, CPM: even .05 before elite bonuses.

My question is - are there dramatically better routes mileage-wise for this trip? Please let me know if there's more information I can provide.

Thanks!
Matt
Old Aug 30, 2008, 9:29 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP 3MM, Lifetime Platinum, Marriott Titanium, HH Gold
That's a great fare! $1184 all-in is INCREDIBLE! 23,406 EQMs is pretty great, not to mention that it doubles to 46,812 RDMs! I would go for it.

Sounds like a pretty grueling trip, though, unless you can guarantee that your eVIPs will clear. Did you choose your dates carefully to try to make sure that they will clear?

Another issue: how long will your layover in DEL be? If you are returning the same day, you will have to hustle to get back through check-in, immigration, and security. Apparently the 3-hour recommended check-in time (and 4-hour time the plane is on the ground) is barely enough due to the extreme airport congestion.

Or are you staying a night or two in DEL?

One final thing: if you are traveling on a US Passport, you will need to get a visa for India. Others have reported here that if you take the passport, application, fee (money order only, or credit card), and photos to the Outsourcing Office first thing in the morning, the visa will be ready for pickup in the afternoon. But it's best to call or check online to be sure.

https://www.indian-visa.com/

(Note that all visa processing services in the United States for normal travelers to India have been outsourced to this third-party US company* called Travisa Outsourcing. Within NYC jurisdiction, use the office at 316 East 53rd St, 2nd Floor, New York, NY 10022.)

*probably the most ironic thing ever

Last edited by ESpen36; Aug 30, 2008 at 9:44 pm
Old Aug 30, 2008, 9:46 pm
Original Poster

Programs: HH Gold, AA EXP, UA 1p
Thanks for the prompt response! To follow-up:
- it is a lot of flying, but J is wide open on both flights currently, and there's exit row seats both ways ORD-DEL I've already snagged. Having the overnight in LAX to rest up is an added perk
- I'm looking at staying for two full days, arriving late saturday night, and leaving very late monday night/early tuesday morning.
- I did do an immediate turnaround on a $1200 B fare (needed to requal on points last year), and it was a little rough clearing customs and security, and had a good laugh with the customs folks about the ridiculousness of it all (and my visa is still valid).

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.