Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Mileage Run Deals > Mileage Run Discussion
Reload this Page >

Newbie MR seeking Help - DEN-HKG 6/11 -6/13

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Newbie MR seeking Help - DEN-HKG 6/11 -6/13

Search this Thread

Old Jun 6, 2008, 7:25 pm
Original Poster

Lightbulb Newbie MR seeking Help - DEN-SIN 6/11 -6/13

Hey All,

I've been researching this for the last 2 weeks and think I'm finally to put down some money for this MR to take advantage of UA's DEQM promo. I've used a bunch of the tools and have been trolling these forums for advice - thought it was time to do this before the promo ran out.

Situation:
I'm at 45 EQS for the year, with 33,475 EQMs (yep, all domestic work trips this year).

My home airport is XNA (Fayetteville, AR), but on the week of this trip, I am scheduled for a trip to IAD w/ a connection through DEN.

My original thought was to take an originating flight from IAD, but it was about $400+ more for only 1K more miles.

I need to get home Friday night (6/13) because i'm heading the next day to Vegas w/ my family.

So the Itin i've put on hold is:

United 0415
Fare basis code:
QHXSGR
Depart: DEN 10:10 AM
Arrive: SFO 11:50 AM

United 0869
Fare basis code:
QHXSGR
Depart: SFO 12:40 PM
Arrive: HKG 06:00 PM
Next day
Jun 12

<<< connecting to >>>
United
QHXSGR
Depart: HKG
Jun 12 08:00 PM
Arrive: SIN
Jun 12 11:35 PM

-----

United
QHWSGR
Depart: SIN
Jun 13 07:15 AM
Arrive: NRT
Jun 13 03:15 PM

<<< connecting to >>>
United
QHWSGR
Depart: NRT
Jun 13 04:05 PM
Arrive: SFO
Jun 13 09:10 AM

<<< connecting to >>>
United
QHWSGR
Depart: SFO
Jun 13 11:10 AM
Arrive: DEN
Jun 13 02:43 PM

967 + 6,914 + 1,603 + 3324 + 5124 + 967 = 18899 miles x2 for the DEQM for a total of:

37,798 EQMs for $2130 (using $675 in vouchers, for an out of pocket total of $1455)

Right now, i've got this MR originating/ending at DEN because I can justify using company funds to continue my flight home from DEN-XNA. (Initiating this MR out of XNA would be horrendous for costs).

So... wanted to see if any of you kind souls might have advice for a relative newbie? I was 1K for the last few years but fell short last year. I had to pay the $400 challenge fee to retain Prem Ex this year as I took a new job that will have lots of travel requirements. I thought about taking the LHR 15% bonus, but for $1500, i'd only get a quarter of the miles. I was looking for cheap business seats, but could only find these economy seats. Also dont have SWUs this year, so will have to settle for an exit row.

Anyway... there it is.. would appreciate any help out there!

Last edited by DCFratboy22; Jun 8, 2008 at 12:55 pm
Old Jun 7, 2008, 3:38 am

Programs: AA GLD, soon-to-be PLT in 2 weeks!
Looks like a good MR to me. After this MR and your year-to-date EQMs it only puts you ~29,000 EQMs short of getting 1K.

It's about .04 cpm. Not too great of a deal, but you have to view it as what you get out of it. My personal opinion: If it leaves me only ~29,000 EQMs to 1K then it's worth it, especially when you consider you have 6 months left in the year to get that 29k. With this trip and your YTD EQMs you will re-qualify for 1P, not even taking into account that the double EQMs will post in a month or so.

I say do it! But, you are going to be very tired at the end of it.
Old Jun 7, 2008, 6:34 am

Programs: HH Diamond, Marriott Titanium, Hertz President's Circle, UA Silver, Mobile Passport Unobtanium
How much more is an H fare? Might consider purchasing in that fare bucket and then using miles to try to upgrade to C.
Old Jun 7, 2008, 7:15 am

Programs: no status
What will you do with the few hours in SIN?
Old Jun 7, 2008, 7:56 am
Original Poster

777-DCA: Thanks! I will actually be closer than 29K because I've flown about 9K miles since I registered in May and those have not been counted into my total EQMs to date. As a gift for Christmas last year, I told my parents I'd take them to Europe for the first time this fall, so I figure I can use the SWUs then to upgrade us. Will be totally worth it to show them a grand time as they never fly in a premium cabin and have never been across the atlantic.

Diplomatico: Thats a great idea! I'll call UA and see how much it would cost to upgrade to H. Remind me - how much would it cost RT to upgrade w/ miles with a trip like this? 60K?

Merlin666: Since I land at SIN at 11:30 PM and depart at 7:15 AM (Boarding around 6:30 at least, i'm sure), I may see if they have a lounge w/ a bed to sleep in. I doubt there'd be very much for me to do out there at that time of the night and i'm not sure i'd like pulling my carry-on bag all over the place. I've been there once - when I did a similar MR a long time ago... but that was when these MR's only cost like $700 for the RT.

Last edited by DCFratboy22; Jun 7, 2008 at 8:02 am
Old Jun 7, 2008, 8:02 am

Programs: HH Diamond, Marriott Titanium, Hertz President's Circle, UA Silver, Mobile Passport Unobtanium
Originally Posted by DCFratboy22

Diplomatico: Remind me - how much would it cost RT to upgrade w/ miles with a trip like this? 60K?
30K miles each way on an M/H fare, 15K miles each way on Y/B fare.
Old Jun 7, 2008, 9:19 am

Programs: SQ, UA, Delta, BMI(RIP), Marriott Lifetime Titanium, Hilton Diamond (Thanks Amex) Hyatt Discov
Originally Posted by Merlin666
What will you do with the few hours in SIN?
Book the terminal hotel at Changi for 6 hours and take a nap. Unless you fancy a trip down to Orchard Towers for a few beers ( you can leave you bag in the luggage check in place)
Old Jun 7, 2008, 4:51 pm
Original Poster

Heading to the airport tomorrow to pay for this... just wanted to check one last time in case anyone could come up with a same/better MR routing for a cheaper amount.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.